Turn on thread page Beta

Who the hell buys from Jack Wills? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's quite popular. I remember walking around Guildford on Boxing Day (or was it the day after...) and there was a massive queue all the way down the street to get into the Jack Wills sale.

It's certainly not the most expensive clothing ever either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    I admit, I'm aware the target market for Jack Wills is pretty much what you'd describe as the "upper-class", private school toffs, but honestly I think even toffs would be reluctant to fork out the ridiculous sums of money this company is charging for their rather mediocre clothing.
    Then there's no need to ask :p:

If people want to look a certain way and pay whatever for clothes, leave them to it. We have enough threads complaining about rahs, JW, A&F and w/e else.

I wouldn't say the prices are ridiculous, but you can definitely get much better quality stuff for similar prices.

ReputationRep:
    I have one Jack Wills hoodie... which I brought because I LIKE IT, and NOT because of the name. Infact, it doesn't even have Jack Wills visible on it.

It is the most comfortable hoodie I have ever had in my life and i LOVE it

Oh and by the way, I didn't pay a ridiculous amount for it... I got it in an outlet... for £40

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why such a huge deal is made out of JW. It's just a clothing brand like any other, and as someone pointed out above, there are alot of other brands that charge much more.

It's not just 'upper class' or students who purchase clothing from the brand, i've seen young-ish mothers and housewives wearing it as well.

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell buys from Lacoste?
    Who the hell buys from ASOS?
    Who the hell buys from Topshop?
    Who the hell buys from other ****, overpriced brands or shops?

It's a style. I like it, and tbh, I'd rather pay slightly more for an item I value more, than lots of cheap, **** ones that I'd throw away in a matter of weeks.

I've only got a few items from there, but they've lasted me, like, forever. And if I'm going to buy a shirt, I may as well buy one I like, that's going to last for longer, than one from Primark, where the stiching will come undone as soon as I've got it home.

TBH, I wonder the same thing about Topshop. It's so overpriced, so ridiculously expensive, for an item that every other person on the street is wearing. The difference with Jack Wills is that it's not going to go out of fashion tomorrow, unlike pretty much anything from Topshop.

And wow, I had no idea there were so many complete idiots on this forum! Shiiiiit, people have different dress sense?! No way. I thought everybody loved the same clothes, which is why there are only like three shops out there.

:eyeroll:

ReputationRep:
    I do think it's very much a signifier of wealth, or at least people want it to be.

Clothes are the easiest way to describe yourself to strangers, so those people who choose to wear JW gillets and uggs constantly will know that at least have something in common with other JW wearing, Ugg loving, Tatler Reading, Oh my goshing folk

Personally, I hate expensive clothes because of the principle, if I ever get the urge to have 'quality' clothing - I get it made! Tailored to me precisely in exactly the fabrics I love...and it still works out cheaper than a lot of **** that they charge £250 for.

Ultimately clothes help you identify yourself, I personally choose to identify myself as a mismatched idiot who doesn't give that much of a crap about the way I look.........hence why the JW & ugg combo people and I tend not to get along too well.

ReputationRep:
    Heaven forbid people make a choice about how much money they're willing to spend for a consumer item.

"Overpriced" is an arbitrary measured used mainly by people who always buy the cheapest option available.

ReputationRep:
    what's the difference between buying from jack wills and buying D&G, Versace, Moshino or whatever?! i can't believe people generalise so much!
    "hence why the JW & ugg combo people and I tend not to get along too well."

what the hell is that about?! right now i'm sitting in jw track pants, uggs and a hoodie. i'm an easy going normal person. i go to a normal school. i sail, i rock climb, i walk the dog, i have a part time job, i go out with friends - i'm just like you. if i chose to wear this stuff, who are you to judge me?!

people in this thread are calling jw wearers stuck up - i'm sorry i think you need to have a look in the ******* mirror.

ReputationRep:
    Some people like it. People buy things they like.
    Deal with it?

ReputationRep:
    Rofl, TSR is not exactly the best place to complain about JW on. XD

ReputationRep:
    I have one or two Jack Wills things. A lot of things are rather expensive, though...

ReputationRep:
    I dislike JW not so much for the price - I mean I love Karen Millen and had I the money (or lived in the US), I would certainly buy Ralph Lauren stuff. However, I just find it all incredibly uninspiring. The tees they have listed as 'fashion tops' are the sorts of things I'd wear bumming around the house. I'm not oen to follow fashion but there's nothing even particulalrly stylish or feminine about their clothes. Some of their menswear is quite nice but if you're planning on spending taht kind of money, I think RL is a far better choice.

ReputationRep:
    There's a boy at my college who works there and he said he gets a 75% discount...not bad!

ReputationRep:
    It is extortionately priced but I have a couple of items cos my friend works there and gets discounts. At the end of the day, any designer is expensive, and Jack Wills trys to be one and people buy it, so it survives. I think it's particularly hated because it typifies the people who generally wear it (rich, private school, rah-y) rather than the clothes themselves or the price.

I actually really like the style (not all of it), I just hate the MASSIVE logos on their hoodies so I've got a shirt and some trackies where the logo is tiny.

ReputationRep:
    I've never even heard of Jack Willis.

*Creeps back into hole*

ReputationRep:
    The population of St Andrews okay, well not entirely...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electric_Dreams)
    50% of Durham University.
    FACT

ReputationRep:
    I wear JW, its comfy, good quality, and not that overpriced given how long things last you.
    I don't understand why people hold such grudges about clothing brands... Each to their own!

ReputationRep:
    its cheap compare many other brands/designer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    FACT
    I wish I was lying, but living near to Durham and having ventured into it really is the case. :indiff:

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.