Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Actually, I think you'll find that scholasticism and humanism have been more prevalent throughout world history
    That doesn't dismiss the Newtonian mechanistic world view. And even Freud, considered a humanist to most people, based his theories on mechanics. When someone like Freud tries to disguise psychology as a natural science it says quite a lot about how social sciences are looked upon as inferior to natural sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muffe)
    That doesn't dismiss the Newtonian mechanistic world view. And even Freud, considered a humanist to most people, based his theories on mechanics. When someone like Freud tries to disguise psychology as a natural science it says quite a lot about how social sciences are looked upon as inferior to natural sciences.
    That doesn't warrant stating that 'science rules the knowledge hierarchy' though, because it dismisses other opinions. Anyway, it's impossible to contest that Scholasticism was the prevalent view until the 16th Century, when Humanism took over. Or the view that all progress in mankind is a result of progress through historical appreciation.

Personally, I think that man uses the idea of progress to understand more about the social and natural aspects of the world in which he lives, and thus progress himself.

ReputationRep:
    freud is overrated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    freud is overrated
    I'd agree with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I'd agree with that.
    Thirded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Personally, I think that man uses the idea of progress to understand more about the social and natural aspects of the world in which he lives, and thus progress himself.
    Which of course is one of the answers to the question 'What Is History', as discussed by EH Carr.

ReputationRep:
    Clement Freud is better than Sigmund.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Which of course is one of the answers to the question 'What Is History', as discussed by EH Carr.
    quoting yourself tek? lol youre as bad as arthur c clarke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Clement Freud is better than Sigmund.
    at 'just a minute' at least

ReputationRep:
    quoting yourself tek? lol youre as bad as arthur c clarke
    It was more of an editing. Only an idiot quotes himself!!

ReputationRep:
    at 'just a minute' at least
    Yes! another 'just a minute' listener!!

Isn't it the greatest comedy quiz thing ever (only competitor = HIGNFY)

ReputationRep:

I don't like Clement's attitude on 'Just A Minute' - he's too competitive. He should take a chill pill :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I think the only mistake that Carr makes (in the view of the contemptuous little insect that is Mark) is that he looks on history as "progress".

In my opinion, history is the study of "historical process", a change which is neither intrinsically good (as the positive word progress suggest it is) or intrinsically bad (the view favoured by those nostalgic types who look on history with rose tinted glasses, and feel that we are constantly “regressing” as a people).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Who on says that science rules the knowledge hierarchy?
    Due to its dominance in Science it has more Nobel Prizes (far higher than Oxford). However, did not produce a UK Prime Minister during the 20th Century. Overall, think it's likely that even LSE has had far more influence in Politics than Cambridge.

ReputationRep:

how fantstic is HIGNFY- i love it. it's my favourite programme- if i like it should i listen to just a minute? is it the same kind of thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachio)
    how fantstic is HIGNFY- i love it. it's my favourite programme- if i like it should i listen to just a minute? is it the same kind of thing?
    Just a minute isn't political but it is a similar type of humour - Paul Merton is on it a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Just a minute isn't political but it is a similar type of humour - Paul Merton is on it a lot.
    The Now Show is aslo funny.
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Tek)
    The Now Show is aslo funny.
    And I'm sorry I haven't a clue.

I love radio 4

ReputationRep:
    i think i might give it a listen - paul merton is a god!!
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by rachio)
    i think i might give it a listen - paul merton is a god!!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/

It's not on at the moment otherwise you could have listened to this weeks episode online...like you can with the ow Show http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/nowshow.shtml

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.