The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think the more sports you play when you are younger the more taller you grow when you are older. Look at all the tennis players and sports stars they started training when they were young and are all reasonably tall. Also my mum used to say drinking milk helps you to grow......

Any way Tom cruise is small and cute :smile:
Unregistered
I think the more sports you play when you are younger the more taller you grow when you are older. Look at all the tennis players and sports stars they started training when they were young and are all reasonably tall. Also my mum used to say drinking milk helps you to grow......

Why is it certain people from certain races are genetically tall. I.e majority of African people are pretty tall (basketball players) whereas chinese people are quite petite?
Reply 22
Unregistered

But maybe the tall sportsmen are always the only ones who are successful in the first place!! Maybe the short people practised too but weren't as good as the tall people. Just a thought.
Reply 23
i get bugger all slepp and im 6'3
Adhsur
But maybe the tall sportsmen are always the only ones who are successful in the first place!! Maybe the short people practised too but weren't as good as the tall people. Just a thought.

Oh that's true never thought of that :smile:
Unregistered
Oh that's true never thought of that :smile:

im 6'3 and when i wear shoes or sommat im about 6'4 ..lots of people tell me how they wished they were as tall. im not skinny so i dont look lanky, im of a medium build, however, i wish i was about 6'-6'1

so any tips??? does alot of weight training make u lose a couple of inches??
Unregistered
im 6'3 and when i wear shoes or sommat im about 6'4 ..lots of people tell me how they wished they were as tall. im not skinny so i dont look lanky, im of a medium build, however, i wish i was about 6'-6'1

so any tips??? does alot of weight training make u lose a couple of inches??

Lol i doubt it, weight just compresses the spine and one thing about sleep is it gives the spine a chance to "expand" again, try measuring your height when you wake up and when you go to sleep and see if there is any difference :wink:.
Reply 27
king of swords
Lol i doubt it, weight just compresses the spine and one thing about sleep is it gives the spine a chance to "expand" again, try measuring your height when you wake up and when you go to sleep and see if there is any difference :wink:.

I'm 179-180cm in the morning, then as i walk to college with like 3 folders in my bag on my back i find i gradually get smaller. I'm not annoyed with my height, its the same height as Mike Tyson and some other people, i just wish i was taller. Plus i have a stocky build too, I think I'm around 13.5 stone which is pretty good for my height, i just wish to grow another 2" or so to get to 6 foot
CasperUK
I'm 179-180cm in the morning, then as i walk to college with like 3 folders in my bag on my back i find i gradually get smaller. I'm not annoyed with my height, its the same height as Mike Tyson and some other people, i just wish i was taller. Plus i have a stocky build too, I think I'm around 13.5 stone which is pretty good for my height, i just wish to grow another 2" or so to get to 6 foot

Well I am sympathetic if it is a big thing to you (no pun intended), but it isn't the end of the world :smile:, people should like you for who you are, not your height.
Reply 29
king of swords
people should like you for who you are, not your height.

Awwwww, that's very true!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Unregistered
Why is it certain people from certain races are genetically tall. I.e majority of African people are pretty tall (basketball players) whereas chinese people are quite petite?

Well, I think it could be because the first couple of Chinese people to exist on this world were short themselves. Thousands of years later, we can't really do anything about it since it's genetic in a way!

It's quite interesting to see why people from certain cultures or continents seem to be more successful at different sports. For example, in NBA, most of the good players are black. A lot of athletes, especially the 100m sprinters and the 5,000 long distance runners are black or from Africa. On the other hand, the Chinese seem to rule at gymnastics. It's either a genetic thing or it just depends in which country you are brought up. (please don't flame me, I'm trying to not be racist or anything)
Reply 31
Take some patented 'Grow-O-Matic' tablets and voila. :biggrin:
Stretch your legs and keep them warm regularly.
Unregistered
Stretch your legs and keep them warm regularly.

I have actually tried that whilst in bed at night! Not really helpful though.
Reply 34
there are some drugs with hormones... just ask a japanese he should know such things :smile:

i am 186.. i would prefer to be smaller! All the superbikes are built for small Japanese... :rolleyes:
And some cars are very small too (like the mini, or the cinquecento,...)
If you coat your body in butter, jump up and down naked for 20 minutes and slap yourself, you can grow an extra inch.

It sounds bizarre, but try it. :smile:
There was once someone who had to undergo surgery to stretch her legs by about 2/3 inches so that she would qualify as a flight stewardess.
Reply 37
Unregistered
If you coat your body in butter, jump up and down naked for 20 minutes and slap yourself, you can grow an extra inch.

It sounds bizarre, but try it. :smile:

......and Sultanas
Reply 38
I'm 6'4" and I can tell you being tall isn't all it's cracked up to be. Door frames seem designed to scalp you. The wing mirrors on buses can smash you in the head if you don't watch out. Seats on buses, trains, aircraft and in cinemas are an absolute pain due to the lack of leg room. If you're a guy and you're quite tall throughout your life even as a kid, older guys, reckon your absolutely fine for picking on :frown:
Sure there are plus points, you don't feel so intimidated by some people when you're older, it helps a lot in some sports, and chicks seem to dig it :P, but I reckon plain old 6 feet tall is fine for a guy, it's tall but not painfully so.
jediknight007
There was once someone who had to undergo surgery to stretch her legs by about 2/3 inches so that she would qualify as a flight stewardess.

Yeah - and after all the surgery (which as I remember was paid for by the NHS because she was clinically "short") she was still a couple of inches off the minimum height required for being a stewardess.

Latest

Trending

Trending