Turn on thread page Beta

Comparing A-levels 2003 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    That was a good idea - could we get it up on the forum and keep it up to date?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly Ralfskini, lots of people have lied to me over the net thru MSN about their grades and when i asked them for help they seem to be stumped on such questions. It's laughable, at the end of the day your only cheating yourself in my opinion. I got AABE and I'm not ashamed to admit the E at all, infact iw as rather proud of it as i did **** all revision and managed to come within 2 marks of a D at English language combined. I'll take a resit and hopefully bump it upto a comfortable D and reinforce the D by getting a solid D at A-level, its not too hard, i could get a B but i would need 60+ marks to get that and frankly i have shot myself in the foot from AS by not revising but a D would make me happy at the end of the day even though i know i could get etter marks for English id rather concentrate on Psychology and History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    In 2002 Greenhead College, Huddersfiled was ranked 346th nationally.
    theres a big difference between 346 and 'the best' dont you think....lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    theres a big difference between 346 and 'the best' dont you think....lol
    Only 345 places, an easy mistake, I'm sure...

ReputationRep:
    I advise you to check again please lol. 99.3% pass rate...i wouldnt exactly call that 356 or whatever that number was. It came number 1 in terms or passes anyway thats all i know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CasperUK)
    I advise you to check again please lol. 99.3% pass rate...i wouldnt exactly call that 356 or whatever that number was. It came number 1 in terms or passes anyway thats all i know.
    Maybe in 2003, but I would be incredibly surprised if it came top nationally, locally yes, but it clouldn't beat many of the sixth forms and private schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CasperUK)
    Maybe Im wrong but isnt a pass a D. I wudnt exactly describe a college whose students each achived straight D's as the best in the country. If it were then we would be having some serious problems.

ReputationRep:
    aha. 12th paragraph
    URL:- http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...019209,00.html
    The "hidden scandal" of some A-levels being easier than others, described by John Dunford, the general secretary of the Secondary Heads Association, is an updated version of a seasonal theme. But it stung the government much more than, say, the usual August chorus condemning "rampant grade inflation" from the Institute of Directors.
    Dr Dunford is no rent-a-quote. He is one of the staunchest defenders of the new two-part A-level and sits on the working party led by the former chief inspector of schools, Mike Tomlinson, to sort out 14-19 education.

But he cited evidence from Durham University on the quality of candidates taking different A-level subjects. And anecdotally it certainly feels true that modern languages and the main sciences cannot but be harder than the more limited range of subjects often taught by teachers who did not major in the subject at degree level - psychology, media studies, busi ness studies - or even do an A-level in it.

But standards in even the hardest subjects have not been exempt from criticism. University maths, computing and science departments despair about the decline in the mathematical skills of even their brightest students. Many have moved to four-year courses or remedial lessons in the first year. The poor spelling of blue riband undergraduates is a constant source of common-room mirth.

Yet A-level pass rates have risen every year since 1982, when the old simple but brutal "norm referencing" system, where each grade was capped so the proportions achieving them stayed much the same each year and students essentially jostled for position with their peers, was replaced by criterion referencing. Students compete not against each other but against a notional "standard" which the exam boards struggle manfully to contain.

In reality, the boards still give a big nod to norm referencing. Because they set similar papers each year for similar types of student, they are reluctant to allow the proportion of students achieving each grade to change hugely from year to year. It was partly this which caused the disaster of last year. Because students were by and large ditching their weakest subject in the new two-part A-level, the pass rates shot up, persuading at least one board, OCR, to set the bar for good grades higher than before.

On the face of it, criterion referencing is fairer, recognising actual achievement rather than relative performance. But it is also messy and contentious and brings problems which put this creaking 50-year-old system under enormous strain.

An international panel of experts from the US, Australia and the UK, appointed by the qualifications and curriculum authority (QCA), said in a report last year that the only way of know whether standards had been maintained would be if the syllabuses had remained the same, the exams were the same, and there were no changes in policy intended to raise performance. In other words, if the exam engine is in better shape, are the students that use it really doing better?

"None of these conditions have been met as there have been numerous changes to the system," the panel said. "There is no scientific way to determine in retrospect whether standards have been maintained."

Yet ministers insist standards are rising - and they have cautious international backing elsewhere. Andreas Schleicher, head of the education indicators and analysis division at the Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development, told the Guardian yesterday that whereas the UK had a relatively "mediocre" record in the early 1990s it was now among the world's best.

"If you want to see whether standards are staying the same you have to apply the same test for 20 years, but that makes no sense because the expectations of society change ... in most countries of the OECD participation rates in education have been systematically increasing without standards necessarily declining. We do not have any evidence that standards are declining."

The leading schools and colleges in the Guardian's A-level league table largely rejected the doomsayers' analysis. Martin Rostron, principal of Greenhead college in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, the best college, said criticism of "soft" subjects such as psychology was "superficial". Roger Wilkes, headmaster of Queen Elizabeth's grammar school in Ashbourne, Derbyshire, the top-performing comprehensive for the second year running, said his students' results are down to exceptional standards of teaching and a "highly aspirational ethos" which drove pupils to do well. But he said: "Different exams are set for different eras and clearly people get used to whatever the system is."

Ministers' analysis - and this is largely endorsed by the OECD - is that the UK's most serious problem is at the bottom end, not the top. "The 'hidden scandal' is that only a third of kids stay on for A-levels," said a senior Whitehall official yesterday. Half of all youngsters still fail to get five good GCSEs, and Britain has one of the worst post-16 education participation rates in the industrialised world.

But as David Miliband indicated yesterday, they are aware of an attendant problem for universities. Admissions tutors are left wondering how they can distinguish the best from the merely excellent when more than 20% of grades are As and even five As at A-level are becoming common.

The government's eccentric idea of creating an "A with distinction" grade by asking students to gamble on taking extra questions during the exam has been dropped. But further reform appears to have been shoved off - along with the enormous challenges of persuading more people to stay on, while ensuring that all students leave with the basics - to the Tomlinson review. The former chief inspector has a lot on his plate.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe in 2003, but I would be incredibly surprised if it came top nationally, locally yes, but it clouldn't beat many of the sixth forms and private schools.
    Well private schools are for extrmely wealthy people, my friend David paid £92,000 for 5 years education at Bradfod Grammar of course high grades are expected of the. Nationally yes Greenhead came top. read the guaradian or something

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I see, they class Colleges and Sixth forms seperately. So whilst, indeed, you attend the best college, that doesn't mean you get the best A-level results nationally, school sixth forms get that. So while your original statement was correct, you do attend the best college in the country, that puts the statement out of context, as it is unlikely the very best in the country go there, so people at your college do not get the very best grades nationally, but they get the best grades out of all the colleges, which whilst a very good achievement, is not as impressive.

ReputationRep:
    lol........you are one sharp, funny clever guy lord huntroyde. hilarious
    *laughing at his posts as he always gives the true answer*

ReputationRep:
    In 2002 Greenhead College, Huddersfiled was ranked 346th nationally.

LOL, the words piss and bonfire spring to mind!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BABYGUY)
    lol........you are one sharp, funny clever guy lord huntroyde. hilarious
    *laughing at his posts as he always gives the true answer*
    Sorry, are you being serious? or at least sincere? it is very difficult to interpret the intended tone over the internet.

ReputationRep:
    serious. i find it funny how this guy tries to pretend that some scrutty college in friggin huddersfield of all places, is the best place for A-Levels that the whole of England can offer. i appreciate the way you tell him the truth...lol........you are class..... *still laughing* i just found it funny how some terrible statistic that meant something else, was instead interpreted as the best academic a-level insitution in england. hilarious........huddersfield of all places.

imagine an old, huddersfield yorkshire pensioner saying:

"ere..., we dont need your poxy geniuses and sceintists in our town, miners and bakers are all we need.....glub glub"!!

ReputationRep:
    serious. i find it funny how this guy tries to pretend that some scrutty college in friggin huddersfield of all places, is the best place for A-Levels that the whole of England can offer. i appreciate the way you tell him the truth...lol........you are class..... *still laughing* i just found it funny how some terrible statistic that meant something else, was instead interpreted as the best academic a-level insitution in england. hilarious........huddersfield of all places.

imagine an old, huddersfield yorkshire pensioner saying:

"ere..., we dont need your poxy geniuses and sceintists in our town, miners and bakers are all we need.....glub glub"!!
    That's what I though when I saw the name of the College. Still not a bad achievemant for Greenhead College, but hardly, as you say, the best England can offer.

ReputationRep:
    just imagine one of those 80 year old yorkshire pensioners saying that phrase in that "Old folks" voice. i am rolling around laughing.

"ere, all those fancy clever scientists and doctors go to that posh place, ...........ere, you think your'e so good getting those fancy E and F Grades at gcse, you dont pull wool over my eyes son,...."

Huddersfield college is flying!!!!! the eton and winchester students are only worthy of studying in their basement!

* The finest educational institution to study GCE A-Level Qualifications in the whole of England *

and you know the funny thing about that statistic, is that if a school had 99% of pupils getting straight A grades, but 1% failed compeltely, but another school had 100% of them getting straight D/E grades, then the worser school would be ranked higher! what a crappy statistic!

ReputationRep:
    just imagine one of those 80 year old yorkshire pensioners saying that phrase in that "Old folks" voice. i am rolling around laughing.

"ere, all those fancy clever scientists and doctors go to that posh place, ...........ere, you think your'e so good getting those fancy E and F Grades at gcse, you dont pull wool over my eyes son,...."

Huddersfield college is flying!!!!! the eton and winchester students are only worthy of studying in their basement!

* The finest educational institution to study GCE A-Level Qualifications in the whole of England *

and you know the funny thing about that statistic, is that if a school had 99% of pupils getting straight A grades, but 1% failed compeltely, but another school had 100% of them getting straight D/E grades, then the worser school would be ranked higher! what a crappy statistic!
    I know, one person could bring their school down by about 100 places in a league table by failing everyting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Maybe Im wrong but isnt a pass a D. I wudnt exactly describe a college whose students each achived straight D's as the best in the country. If it were then we would be having some serious problems.
    Well actually an E technically counts as a pass...it just keeps getting better doesn't it...

ReputationRep:
    Eeekies *shocked to see own name* I got AABB though, not AB!! *whines*.

(Original post by Adhsur)
    Eeekies *shocked to see own name* I got AABB though, not AB!! *whines*.
    AABB for AS = AB for A2

The list only mentions complete A-levels

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.