The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
happysunshine
I am guessing that there are more people who want to learn in grammar schools and it isn't so abnormal to want to learn.

from my own experience those who *didnt* want to work were ridiculed although this is not necessarily a good thing and the competitiveness of the schools is depressing. for those who are less able at the grammar, because obv someone has to be, it must have been horrendously embarrassing and possibly frustrating to know that whilst they were bottom of the class here they would have been top at a comp.

meh *ramble ramble* i have often wondered what it would have been like to go to a "normal" school but i've always concluded that my school was the best for me and even now at uni i am appreciating the distractions of people who don't want to work and/or the opposite sex :wink:
Reply 21
i went to a comp school for gcses and i think i would have got better results/friends if id had gone to a grammar. but i dont mind as i made up for it with my alevels.
Reply 22
Unregistered
it must have been horrendously embarrassing and possibly frustrating to know that whilst they were bottom of the class here they would have been top at a comp.

not true, they would have been middling-top at a comprehensive. just because you go to a comp doesnt mean you cant be at the peak of your age-groups abilities!
Reply 23
edders
not true, they would have been middling-top at a comprehensive. just because you go to a comp doesnt mean you cant be at the peak of your age-groups abilities!

true true, i apologise for my preconceptions
Reply 24
Lord Huntroyde
Don't forget, generally grammars have the best teachers as life is a lot easier for a grammar teacher so once they go to a grammar, they don't want to go back to a comp.

Have you got anything to back this vague claim up with?
Reply 25
edders
i went to a comp school for gcses and i think i would have got better results/friends if id had gone to a grammar. but i dont mind as i made up for it with my alevels.

You only think this due to a misconception in society. I see the same thing in quite a few people here. Your intrinsic belief that Grammars are better is a result of a move to keep Grammar schools.

The statistics simply suggest the opposite.
Reply 26
Well I don't know about other comp schools but the one I went to had amazing gcse and a-level results. I found the standard of teaching to be superb and I know for a FACT that I wouldnt have done better anywhere else.

Personally, I wouldnt ever want to go to a grammar school as I don't think I would get on with those types of people.
At 11 I turned down a scholarship to this place . Personally the competetive atmosphere in a grammar/public school would have been completely off putting...I've always done exactly as much work as I wanted to and the idea of being in a "pushing" environment sounds like hell to me (not to mention being in a girls school when most of my best friends were boys). I have and always will been an independant learner - school was a social place with a few fun resources not a hotbed of academic achievement...to study in a place with that sort of competetive atmosphere would take all of the fun out of learning.

And I always enjoyed being a big fish in a small pond :wink: even if that did mean having to deal with crappy facilities (our science block got burned down when I was in 4th yr and our headmaster was arrested for kiddy fiddling (later aquitted) when I was in 5th yr and wasn't replaced 2 yrs) and people who were afraid of looking clever. I feel I've now got a much broader outlook on life than if I'd gone to the elite school (nb Crosby has a rediculous 4 public school to the 2 comps and 1 religious school - there are no grammars in the area selection is based on the ability to pay/win a scholarship) and I also feel I've developed better tools for dealing with people from other backgrounds.
Reply 28
Hey its the original poster, woah! Thanx for all ur replies. Of course a good student can progress and do well at any school, be it comp or gram....but i think there is no argument in the fact that grammer schools povide a better education....they attract better teachers - because most teachers (no matter what they say) wanna teach intelligant kids who have passion for learning, not lil rebel pooheads(i cant swear on this board) who r just mouthy, disruptive and abusive. At my school i have actually experianced things such as whole classes (and this is in top groups) collectivley walking out lessons, throwing rubbish at geeky science teachers.....i often see people hitting teachers...or slamming doors in their faces. Yes my school has a reputation for being bad, and of course their are many postive points about the school ( fantastic arts facilities blah blah blah) but there is no doubt that their are very intelligaint students who r not achieving their best because they r getting pulled down by (or actually are) slackers. I think this makes it quite clear that students at grammer schools will find it easier to reach their full potential, though i am sure that the most clever person from my school could easily rival the most clever gammer school student.

As i said, thank u for ur replies. . .
Reply 29
Unregistered
Hey its the original poster, woah! Thanx for all ur replies. Of course a good student can progress and do well at any school, be it comp or gram....but i think there is no argument in the fact that grammer schools povide a better education....they attract better teachers - because most teachers (no matter what they say) wanna teach intelligant kids who have passion for learning, not lil rebel pooheads(i cant swear on this board) who r just mouthy, disruptive and abusive. At my school i have actually experianced things such as whole classes (and this is in top groups) collectivley walking out lessons, throwing rubbish at geeky science teachers.....i often see people hitting teachers...or slamming doors in their faces. Yes my school has a reputation for being bad, and of course their are many postive points about the school ( fantastic arts facilities blah blah blah) but there is no doubt that their are very intelligaint students who r not achieving their best because they r getting pulled down by (or actually are) slackers. I think this makes it quite clear that students at grammer schools will find it easier to reach their full potential, though i am sure that the most clever person from my school could easily rival the most clever gammer school student.

As i said, thank u for ur replies. . .

Grammar schools simply dont provide a better education. Research has shown it.
People like to believe it (especially those who go to Grammars).
Of course there are areas where a Grammar might work better, but the same can be said for the opposite. At my school I had three Oxbridge graduates as teachers, who were also excellent teachers, and our area has the most Grammars in England.

For the millionth time;
Childrenat Comps are streamed for ability.
Reply 30
I h8 to be rude Bigcnee but ur argument is pathetic. No1 said that comps dont have any good teachers, that is obvously not rue. No1 said that people from comps cant do well, that 2 would obvously be a lie. U keep backing up ur arguments with 'research shows', well were is this research? I would quite like to see it.

I dont think there is any right/wrong answer to this argument....niether research or opinion can really help. Though, is there any1 out there who did their AS's at a comp, and their A2's at a grammer? Or other way around? Maybe they would know...
Reply 31
happysunshine
I think in Comp. Schools you'll find probably two in every class of 30 that are serious about learning and try hard.

Certainly not the case in my school.

We don't have Grammar schools where I live, so it's a Comprehensive or a private school.

Admittedly there are a few *cough* troublemakers but there are many very bright students and after the first year most subjects are streamed which makes a hell of a difference.

I suppose because there are no Grammars we have more students here with greater ability/enthusiasm than perhaps a Comprehensive in a county where there is the option to go to a school aimed at educating students of a higher ability.

I actually think Grammar schools are a good idea, however I feel completely capable where I am of learning, putting in effort and getting the grades. There is competition because as I say, there are a lot of able and intelligent students and, perhaps with the exception of the occasional 'Boff!' comment, there's no stigma attatched to acheiving.
Reply 32
I think that it is easier to achive in grams (for reasons stated by various posters above). However their are various things that grammar pupils can miss out on. A teacher at my school moved to the local grammar to become head of french, and i have seen her many times and had conversations with her about her new post. She says that (in this case, not all!) all this school ever does is work from exercise books...just go through them all every day untill the book is finished, and then they are passed another exercise book for revision. She said that the work we do at my comp is setting us up more for real life, and univeristy work...we r given more independance and interaction within our lessons. People out our school have to motivate themselfs to work more, which i think is a very valuable skill. Meh...its only my opinion!
Reply 33
I think the common idea is that grammar schools are generally better for a childs education, so why not give them higher offers when theyve had the advantage over everyone else who cant afford a fee paying school.
Reply 34
happysunshine
Hmm, yeah I think so.

I think in Comp. Schools you'll find probably two in every class of 30 that are serious about learning and try hard. I think that is pretty poor and then the rest just want to piss about and then the teachers think 'Oh well the whole class doesn't care, so what's the point of teaching them properly?'. I am guessing that there are more people who want to learn in grammar schools and it isn't so abnormal to want to learn.

I do believe that many Grammar School students fall into traps such as giving up when they aren't the best or thinking they are safe because they are in a school which educates them well.

What do you think? Are you at Comp. or Grammar School?

grammar.
Reply 35
Bigcnee
Have you got anything to back this vague claim up with?

Well all my teachers are brilliant, and you cannot argue that a teacher's life is easier at a school where all the kids want to learn.
Reply 36
Bigcnee
Grammar schools simply dont provide a better education. Research has shown it.
People like to believe it (especially those who go to Grammars).
Of course there are areas where a Grammar might work better, but the same can be said for the opposite. At my school I had three Oxbridge graduates as teachers, who were also excellent teachers, and our area has the most Grammars in England.

For the millionth time;
Childrenat Comps are streamed for ability.

But at a grammar everyone wants to do well and everyone works hard. You may be in the top set at a comp, but there are still others in the school who do not. Another point, I and many of my friends are also driven by the consistent success of the school, and the traditions the school has.
Reply 37
Unregistered
I think that it is easier to achive in grams (for reasons stated by various posters above). However their are various things that grammar pupils can miss out on. A teacher at my school moved to the local grammar to become head of french, and i have seen her many times and had conversations with her about her new post. She says that (in this case, not all!) all this school ever does is work from exercise books...just go through them all every day untill the book is finished, and then they are passed another exercise book for revision. She said that the work we do at my comp is setting us up more for real life, and univeristy work...we r given more independance and interaction within our lessons. People out our school have to motivate themselfs to work more, which i think is a very valuable skill. Meh...its only my opinion!

That sounds like a bad teaching method, at my school language lessons are conducted entirely in that language, which I believe is the best method. I know that this technique is not used in other schools in my area and they sometimes struggle at first if they go to the sixth form.
Reply 38
Unregistered
I think the common idea is that grammar schools are generally better for a childs education, so why not give them higher offers when theyve had the advantage over everyone else who cant afford a fee paying school.

grammars arent fee paying, children must passed an entrance exam to get in but they are state schools
Reply 39
Unregistered

Real grammars are free! There are some ex-grammars which are now private who have kept the name 'grammar' in their title but there are 164 grammars (or state selectives) left in the country which are entirely free.

Latest

Trending

Trending