Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How does being here longer have anything to do with the validity of the points you propose?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by BABYGUY)
    that is the worst arguemnt by pencil queen i have ever witnessed. the reason that general studies gets lower % of A GRADES, IS BECAUSE

1.) IT IS COMPULSORY IN MOST SCHOOLS AND PEOPLE DONT WANT TO DO IT

2.) IT IS NOT TAUGHT, YOU JUST TAKE OCCASSIONAL LESSONS AND THE EXAM

3.) A LOT OF PEOPLE DONT REVISE MUCH FOR IT, BECAUSE IT IS NEARLY WORTHLESS AND TOP UNI'S DONT ACCEPT IT

STOP MAKING UP SUCH CRAP ARGUMENTS, IT IS BLATANTLY OBVIOUS THAT PEOPLE WHO DO "REAL" SUBJECTS DO IT BECAUSE THEY OBVIOUSLY ARE TAUGHT IT 4+ HOURS A WEEK, THEY TRY AHRDER COZ ITS MORE IMPORTANT, THEY ARE GOOD IT AT IT, AND THEY REVISE COZ IT MEANS MORE. *BIG PIECE OF ADVICE QUEEN: SHUT UP*
    1 and 2) As I said it covers common sense, general knowledge and basic skills...just because it's compulsory doesn't mean people lose their common sense or basic skills...or are you saying that you need to put in an huge amount of effort to write a 30 minute essay on why computers will never replace books? It costs people a few hours of their life - hardly enough that they would perform badly on purpose like you are proposing.

3) It's impossible to revise for other than to watch the news occasionally have a few opinions (and do you know any 18 yr olds who have no opinions?) and watch a few quiz shows on the tv.

As for top universities not accepting it you obviously didn't read my first post in this thread...if you think I'm making up the fact that it can make a difference between winning a place during confirmation and losing it then you're mistaken...perhaps I need to spell this out. I work for a top university, I produce internal and external stats on A level performance of our accepted students...we don't exclude general studies and our departments have a level quality targets that they must meet to get funded...a few A grade GS students can make the difference between meeting these targets and not.

And finally - why on earth should I shut up? You're the one who's shouting.

ReputationRep:
    I Am Not Wrong Here, I Am Correct And I Dont Care Whether You Have Been Here A 100 Years, My Earlier Post Is Completely True And You Know It Is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    How does being here longer have anything to do with the validity of the points you propose?
    It doesn't but if you read most of Peencil Queens posts, you can summise that she does KNOW what she is on about (most of the times).

I dont know if you are aware of MASKALL by any chance???
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Tek and Bhaal - thank you

Ralfskini, you're right time on a forum has nothing to do with the amount of respect you should have for anyone's opinions...how they argue their points and how they treat other people is far more important than a post count.

ReputationRep:
    And Bollox, You Can Revise For General Studies, But Top Uni's Dont Accept It As Part As Tehir Offer, Therefore Overall, There Is Less Emphasis On Its Importance And Therefore In General People Put Less Effort, Work, Revision Into It Aswell As There Being Very Few Lessons In School For It.
    *onece Again, You Are Clueless, So Stop Talking Bollox*

ReputationRep:
    just because it's compulsory doesn't mean people lose their common sense or basic skills....

Yes, but it does mean that the proportion of students taking the exam with these skills to the required level is not so great.

And General studies CAN count- but it isn't include in the selection proceedure in most cases, and especially by top institutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Ralfskini, you're right time on a forum has nothing to do with the amount of respect you should have for anyone's opinions...how they argue their points and how they treat other people is far more important than a post count.
    Yeah, that is what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    I Am Not Wrong Here, I Am Correct And I Dont Care Whether You Have Been Here A 100 Years, My Earlier Post Is Completely True And You Know It Is.
    So everything you think or believe is correct, no matter what, Maskall? Well, you are not a legend. You are an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Impressive argument xthup

ReputationRep:
    General Studies is a completely valid A-Level and although many people may treat it with disrespect, it is very useful in distinguishing between those revise 24 hrs /day and get 4 A's in their 'real subjects' and those who also get 4 A's but do not spend all their time working and understand the things going on around them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Tek and Bhaal - thank you

Obviously, but this isnt the implication i got from Bhaal.

ReputationRep:
    just because it's compulsory doesn't mean people lose their common sense or basic skills....

Yes, but it does mean that the proportion of students taking the exam with these skills to the required level is not so great.

And General studies CAN count- but it isn't include in the selection proceedure in most cases, and especially by top institutions.
    But you can perhaps see, that maybe a GS grade may be an advantae. E.g.

Say there are 2 identical twins, both AAAA students, same ersonal statement and academic background.

They then apply for a really competitive course, like Medicine, but problem is there is only one place. Obviously a GS grade may help sway them favourably towards that applicant. GS can be viewed as something *EXTRA*, just like the extra cirricular activities you undertake, or the work experince you do, etc. It helps, it cant put you in a dissadvantage, can it? If anything it helps to strengthen your reasoning, logic, problem solving skills, english and numeracy, so I wouldn't put it down.

ReputationRep:
    Well my experience of general studies ~ the syllabus is impossible to teach as it is so ambiguous. There is a part on 'power' and that can mean power as in society, or politics, right to the other end of the meaning of it as power in physics.

So the teachers have to make guesses as to what would come up, and thus end up not teaching the things that come up on the exam. I did AS and got a C, but got an A for english. I think that for me it was down to the fact I didn't consider it to be a proper subject, and spent a large portion of one of the papers seeing how long I could hold my breath for (I didn't have a protractor with me, so I couldn't do a large portion of the questions!)

I don't mean to sound up myself but I think if I had bothered answering I could have got an A pretty easily.. all you needed to have was an understanding of society and current affairs, and GCSE maths could get you through anything else. Oh, also I did GCSE humanities which I found harder! I think that the fact people don't get an A is because they don't put in anywhere near the same amount of effort as they would for subjects that universities accept.

HOWEVER, both General Studies (and moreso) Critical Thinking do make you look better than someone else who doesn't have them. Critical thinking is more respected but unfortunately at my college they didn't let me do it until my 2nd year, so I had to do gen. studies to satisfy the fourth AS requirement.

I guess it is worth doing it. For me it was 2 1 hour lessons a week as opposed to the fourth AS, and satisfies that criteria for a lot of unis who even have that criteria. I also found some of the lessons pretty interesting. Plus, an added bonus - there was no homework.

It's worth noting that when I was doing it, I was a lot more bitter about having to do it and it's only with hindsight that I can see the benefits! I'm glad I've got it on my ucas after all and I was thisclose to not even going to the exam!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

TBH there is absolutely no evidence about the "quality" of students put forward for GS...which would be the only way to prove this either way (ie the average GCSE score for all people studying A levels and just for those studying GS). So we're both basing our opinions on instinct not fact and will have to agree to differ

And yes I've never claimed that GS is used in selection procedures...it's used in confirmation (between A level results being released to universities and the end of clearing - when all the decisions are being made with real reasults not predicted ones)...but IMO the amount of effort required to get it is well worth the investment in a small insurance policy should you drop a grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    But you can perhaps see, that maybe a GS grade may be an advantae. E.g.

Say there are 2 identical twins, both AAAA students, same ersonal statement and academic background.

They then apply for a really competitive course, like Medicine, but problem is there is only one place. Obviously a GS grade may help sway them favourably towards that applicant. GS can be viewed as something *EXTRA*, just like the extra cirricular activities you undertake, or the work experince you do, etc. It helps, it cant put you in a dissadvantage, can it? If anything it helps to strengthen your reasoning, logic, problem solving skills, english and numeracy, so I wouldn't put it down.
    This is correct, but your theoretical example simply emphasizes the fact that preferences due to a difference in a general studies grade are so unheard of. You have to be talking about people applying to the same university, with the same grades in the same subjects, with the same extra curricular activities....you even said that they were identical twins!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    It helps, it cant put you in a dissadvantage, can it?
    I agree with your post, but the only problem is that for example if you are an AAAA student competing for a place in a top uni, a B grade in General Studies might actually be a disadvantage...

I think I'd rather have no General Studies A Level than a B in it.

ReputationRep:
    "I think that the fact people don't get an A is because they don't put in anywhere near the same amount of effort as they would for subjects that universities accept."

thankgod somebody in here has a brain.

and by the way tek, i have come to the conclusion that you are a girl, because by looking at your photo, i was unsure, but you have a skinny figure and a girly face........so i presume you are a boyish-looking girl.
    ohh yes, and *YOU ARE ONE ASSSHOLE TEK*

ReputationRep:
    "I think that the fact people don't get an A is because they don't put in anywhere near the same amount of effort as they would for subjects that universities accept."

thankgod somebody in here has a brain.

and by the way tek, i have come to the conclusion that you are a girl, because by looking at your photo, i was unsure, but you have a skinny figure and a girly face........so i presume you are a boyish-looking girl.
    ohh yes, and *YOU ARE ONE ASSSHOLE TEK*
    Just piss off back to pre-school if you are gonna make fun of other people for no reason, just cause he doesn't agree with you. MOFO!!!

ReputationRep:
    This is correct, but your theoretical example simply emphasizes the fact that preferences due to a difference in a general studies grade are so unheard of. You have to be talking about people applying to the same university, with the same grades in the same subjects, with the same extra curricular activities....you even said that they were identical twins!
    That may be the case, but my argument was to suggest that having GS under your belt, would not be a dissadvantage.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.