Turn on thread page Beta

To do Law at uni it generally doesn't matter which subjects you have chosen at A level. Unis tend to look more at grades and point scores. I have taken Art, English Lit, Business Studies and Prosuct Design and will go to A2 with Art, English Lit and Business Studies. I have got in touch with various unis to ask them if they give offers to people with these subjects and every uni replied telling me that my subjects were acceptable. The advice I was given for law was to basically do subjects which you enjoy.

I wouldnt worry about it. If you want to find out more why not e-mail some admission tutors and enquire if they give offers with your subjects.

Hope that helps.

i did as maths now dropped it YAY found some bits hard got an A* at GCSE but only 3 ppl in my group got A* rest A n B n we is a grammer school. I got A at AS as well so go for it. Plus our school let ppl come back after half term if they had left or wanted to change!!!!
    s x.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it mate. Maths at AS level is easy compared to the second year. If you are reasonably intelligent (sounds like you are), thne I would suggest you go for it!!! The first year just involves more work on what you did at GCSE level, but concentration and actually doing the work plays a crucial role. I know somebody who got a C in maths GCSE and wanted to do further maths, he begged to be let in, and he walked out with an A grade.

I am not going to lie and say its going to be a walk in the park, you really do have to work at it!!! Maths isn't about memeroising quotes, phrases or temrs, its about actually doing it.

You sixth form should have allowed you to do maths, urge them that you want to change, and if they say no, just push them, dont back down, at the end of the day if you are ot happy with a subject cause you find it unintresting then what is the point??? Go tell them that you really wanna do maths!!!

If you do get onto the maths course, you are going to have to catch up, as the first lot of exams are in January.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BABYGUY)
    what, frowning upon an A Grade in Maths? Are they insane? Maths is a tough, but capable subject, and getting an A at GCSE is fine. your school IS TALKING BOLLOX, and if you got A at GCSE, you are EASILY CAPABLE OF GETTING AN A AT A-LEVEL. i only got A AT gcse, BUT i will get grade A at in the full a-level, and so would you if you took it. i chose economics, computing, physics and psychology at the start at AS level. i hated psychology, and after 3 weeks i dropped it for amths, because i want to do physics at oxford uni.

* AND YES, I AM MASKALL, BUT I DONT GIVE A TOSS, BECAUSE WHEN YOU HAVE OFFENSIVE ASSSHOLES LIKE BHAAL IN HERE WHO POST REALLY RUDE STUFF AND SWEAR ALL THE TIME, THEN I DONT CARE WHAT YOU THINK. BHAAL SWEARS MORE THAN ANYONE IN THE WORLD, AND HE IS EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE. I AM PROUD TO BE MASKALL.*
    Boo hoo. I dont care, I was initially nice to you, I replied to your PM's and ins some respects welcomed you. But then you went away and became an arrogant monster, spamming the message boards, being abusive to both the moderators and users, then disrespecting me by using racist comments, to which I responded.

Your one of those people that I really dispise. You make it out like your the good guy, but you aint. Most of the people on here can vouch for me here.

Its people like you that damage the perception of this forum by posting all your abusive/racist comments that are unwarrented.

Regards, Bhaal.

ReputationRep:
    ke daaaaaaaa!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i will get grade A at in the full a-level, and so would you if you took it.
    Just because you got an A for GCSE Maths doesn't guarantee you'll get an A for A Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Just because you got an A for GCSE Maths doesn't guarantee you'll get an A for A Level.
    That is very true.

I got A at GCSE and AA for Maths and Further Maths at A-Level. I'm now doing maths at Durham (:

So, it's not impossible, however, to reiterate what's already been said, you will need to work very, very hard, especially if you've already missed the first half-term. The only way to learn maths properly in my experience is to do questions. Lots of questions. In the month long-ish exam period this June, I did, between Maths and Further Maths, about 600 practice questions. You have to ask yourself if you would be willing to put in the necessary time.

And also, ask yourself, and answer honestly, how hard did you work for GCSE Maths ? If the answer is 'very', I would recommend that you think extremely hard about this. The jump from GCSE to AS-Level is a large one.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

""The idea that you can't do A level Maths with an A at GCSE is complete rubbish! I got an A at GCSE, and an A at A level. (And I didn't even do any resits). ""

COMPLETELY TRUE MATE, COULDNT HAVE SUMMED IT UP BETTER BRO.
    'You got an A at A-Level' ??? Havnt you finished your a-levels yet mate? I thought youve only done your as's ...

A2 is a lot harder than AS and getting an A at AS dont guarantee you a A at A2. Out of four people who got an A at AS last year, only one went on to get an A the rest got B's. Dont be too cocky. There is pride before a fall remember babyguy.

Just a word of warning mate.

(Original post by Unregistered)
    'You got an A at A-Level' ??? Havnt you finished your a-levels yet mate? I thought youve only done your as's ...

A2 is a lot harder than AS and getting an A at AS dont guarantee you a A at A2. Out of four people who got an A at AS last year, only one went on to get an A the rest got B's. Dont be too cocky. There is pride before a fall remember babyguy.

Just a word of warning mate.
    Innit babyguy is a fool

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.