Turn on thread page Beta

Spicy Hot Chicken Wings watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    You have failed to understand my post. Ask your biology teacher as I don't feel like explaining it all to you.
    i understood it perfectly well thanks. and ive read in many sources that humans are naturally vegetarians. so dont try and use 'science' to back up your insistence that humans are 'supposed' to be eating meat.

ReputationRep:
    So what exactly is meant by we are 'supposed' to eat meat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    so your (dubious) argument that we're 'supposed' to eat meat is irrelevant because we cook all our food now anyway.
    We arn't talking about whether we choose to cook meat or not. I referred to how the humans have evolved as carnivores rather than herbivores. That is, humans are natural meat eaters.

Whether we cook meat or not is irrelevant as although it may not taste very nice uncooked, we can still digest it. This is not the case with the vast majority of plants.

ReputationRep:
    I love spicy chicken wings (buffalo wings?). I wish I was in Cambridge right now, so that I could go to the Peri Peri chicken place, just across the street from Emma, they have the best chicken... Does anyone know if there's a peri peri-like place in Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    i understood it perfectly well thanks. and ive read in many sources that humans are naturally vegetarians. so dont try and use 'science' to back up your insistence that humans are 'supposed' to be eating meat.
    haha, that is the funniest thing i have ever heard - 'dont try and use science to back up...' - you mean science as in using facts that are proven and accepted throughout the world?.....i would never dream of doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    I love spicy chicken wings (buffalo wings?). I wish I was in Cambridge right now, so that I could go to the Peri Peri chicken place, just across the street from Emma, they have the best chicken... Does anyone know if there's a peri peri-like place in Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Is emma the same as emmanuel college?
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    yes
    Is there also the biggest pub in england just across the street or something? I heard there was and thats why I applied

ReputationRep:
    And may I say that a balanced diet usually includes meat and vegetables so humans are probably neither carnivores or herbivores.

ReputationRep:
    Is there also the biggest pub in england just across the street or something? I heard there was and thats why I applied
    just across the street from emma is the rat and parrot i beleive, wouldn't know if it's the biggest in England though.

ReputationRep:
    oh, and if you have a choice of residence, choose East Court.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    just across the street from emma is the rat and parrot i beleive, wouldn't know if it's the biggest in England though.
    Ok, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    oh, and if you have a choice of residence, choose East Court.
    Yeh, thats if I get in!

ReputationRep:
    haha, that is the funniest thing i have ever heard - 'dont try and use science to back up...' - you mean science as in using facts that are proven and accepted throughout the world?.....i would never dream of doing so.
    that was science in inverted commas (ie 'science'). heres a quick quote off the net:

"Humans are not naturally meat-eaters: our intestines are far too long, and we have the same tooth structure as gorillas (notorious vegetarians)."

what would your biology teacher say about that?

ReputationRep:
    The settled judgment of science is that man is an omnivore, capable of eating both meat and vegetables, much as certain four-year-olds might like to convince their mothers otherwise.

Like the hard-core carnivores, we have fairly simple digestive systems well suited to the consumption of animal protein, which breaks down quickly. Contrary to what your magazine article says, the human small intestine, at 23 feet, is a little under eight times body length (assuming a mouth-to-anus "body length" of three feet). This is about midway between cats (three times body length), dogs (3-1/2 times), and other well-known meat eaters on the one hand and plant eaters such as cattle (20 to 1) and horses (12 to 1) on the other. This tends to support the idea that we are omnivores.

Herbivores also have a variety of specialized digestive organs capable of breaking down cellulose, the main component of plant tissue. Humans find cellulose totally indigestible, and even plant eaters have to take their time with it. If you were a ruminant (cud eater), for instance, you might have a stomach with four compartments, enabling you to cough up last night's alfalfa and chew on it all over again.

ReputationRep:
    This tends to support the idea that we are omnivores.
    omnivores get on fine without meat though. i mean im not dead so nature cant be that against me not eating meat.

ReputationRep:
    The settled judgment of science is that man is an omnivore, capable of eating both meat and vegetables, much as certain four-year-olds might like to convince their mothers otherwise.

Like the hard-core carnivores, we have fairly simple digestive systems well suited to the consumption of animal protein, which breaks down quickly. Contrary to what your magazine article says, the human small intestine, at 23 feet, is a little under eight times body length (assuming a mouth-to-anus "body length" of three feet). This is about midway between cats (three times body length), dogs (3-1/2 times), and other well-known meat eaters on the one hand and plant eaters such as cattle (20 to 1) and horses (12 to 1) on the other. This tends to support the idea that we are omnivores.

Herbivores also have a variety of specialized digestive organs capable of breaking down cellulose, the main component of plant tissue. Humans find cellulose totally indigestible, and even plant eaters have to take their time with it. If you were a ruminant (cud eater), for instance, you might have a stomach with four compartments, enabling you to cough up last night's alfalfa and chew on it all over again.
    That is what my biology teacher would probably have to say on the matter. I point out the 'humans find cellulose totally indigestible'. ie we are not true herbivores in the sense that we can just go and eat a load of leaves from a tree!

ReputationRep:
    That is what my biology teacher would probably have to say on the matter. I point out the 'humans find cellulose totally indigestible'. ie we are not true herbivores in the sense that we can just go and eat a load of leaves from a tree!
    lol well this may suprise you but vegetarians dont live off leaves and grass!

ReputationRep:
    omnivores get on fine without meat though. i mean im not dead so nature cant be that against me not eating meat.
    I never said you can't survive because that is obviously not true. You were orignally arguing that humans are not natural carnivores which is a load of rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    I know. I used to be vegetarian and there's nothing wrong with me. I think it's probably healthier living off fruit and vegetables than it is off just meat, but I hear fish is very good for you!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.