Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Lots of tweedy guys in Oxford just now, wrapped in their college scarf and smoking pipes. It's ridiculous. Harry Potter with acne. A lot of horse-faced girls braying at everything too.

Avoid the Turf!

a.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    You can sleep in the lectures, noones going to say anything. Lectures, although you're supposed to go to them, aren't registered or anything like that. Its very much down to individual motivation.
    thats really unfaur, all mine at brstol are regidtered :0(

(Original post by Allotriophagy)
    Lots of tweedy guys in Oxford just now, wrapped in their college scarf and smoking pipes. It's ridiculous. Harry Potter with acne. A lot of horse-faced girls braying at everything too.

Avoid the Turf!

a.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    It's a mixture - there are geeks, mummy's boys and really decent chilled people. Yes, land econonmy is available - I heard it's where they put all the thick kids that bought their way in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    *Not sure if this is off the subject* but I always get the impression of oxbridge students to have no fashion sense and no idea about modern times, ie. the latest music and things.

Is that right, or am I thinking of sterotypes?
    When we stayed round St Edmunds the bursar (who is also a governor at our school, which enabled us to visit) made the point that Cambridge students dress like tramps. Although looking at them I wouldn't have used the word 'tramp', it struck me that very few wore jeans. In my area jeans are the norm (along with hooded tops and bling bling hahaha), so I felt a bit wierd. Still, I would at least look the most laid-back of the bunch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    When we stayed round St Edmunds the bursar (who is also a governor at our school, which enabled us to visit) made the point that Cambridge students dress like tramps. Although looking at them I wouldn't have used the word 'tramp', it struck me that very few wore jeans. In my area jeans are the norm (along with hooded tops and bling bling hahaha), so I felt a bit wierd. Still, I would at least look the most laid-back of the bunch.
    Lol. So what exactly do they wear? I'd never give up my jeans

ReputationRep:
    Actually most people in my year at Cam are fashion mad - the cash they spend on keeping up with the catwalk is staggering. Only the ancient lecturers look like tramps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Lol. So what exactly do they wear? I'd never give up my jeans
    Trousers innit, those beige type things that aren't supposed to look as formal as black trousers. I noticed many shirts and jumpers. Not one hooded top or even a football shirt! And they make up a fair proportion of my gear. Oh well, time to start something!

ReputationRep:
    Trousers innit, those beige type things that aren't supposed to look as formal as black trousers. I noticed many shirts and jumpers. Not one hooded top or even a football shirt! And they make up a fair proportion of my gear. Oh well, time to start something!
    I look dapper in everything if I'm honest. Hoho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petrozzi)
    I look dapper in everything if I'm honest. Hoho.
    I'll bet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    yeh. you go far in it if you use the phrases 'chaps', darrrrrling and daddy
    J
    ps Im actually serious
    What do you mean exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    there's a real spread, a lot of 'keen' people in lectures always sit at the front and are writing copious notes (even when the lecturer says no notes are needed because everythings in the handout). Then there are those who either don't bother going to lectures, or go to them but sleep, sit at the back, make no notes etc. I think I'm somewhere in the middle (probably closer to the latter).
    I'm the latter. Haven't been to a single lecture for 2 weeks because been in bed / busy with journalism. Fallen fast asleep in the lecture hall several times last year!

I'm a very motivated 'keen' individual, just not in the lecture hall...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I'm the latter. Haven't been to a single lecture for 2 weeks because been in bed / busy with journalism. Fallen fast asleep in the lecture hall several times last year!

lectures are stoopid

should be banned, esp mine

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

what subject u doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    lectures are stoopid

should be banned, esp mine

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    (!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    what subject u doing?
    phil/the - my lectures seem to be a bit futile at the moment - I learn soooooo much more from tutes

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x--x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    phil/the - my lectures seem to be a bit futile at the moment - I learn soooooo much more from tutes

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x--x-x
    You should try being jokey with the lecturers, make everything much more fun. Worst that could happen is you get thrown out the lecture which you probably won't learn much from anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)

What subject do you study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    What subject do you study?
    Never mind - just checked ur profile! lol Silly Jon :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You should try being jokey with the lecturers, make everything much more fun. Worst that could happen is you get thrown out the lecture which you probably won't learn much from anyway...
    and how exaclty are you supposed to talk to the lecturers?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.