Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Don't worry, he got in the top 5 GCSE results at 13, so he's a freak, basically.
    *Feels much better* - I'm no freak

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    *Feels much better* - I'm no freak
    O-kaaaaaay I feel much safer (!)

ReputationRep:
    I took BMO 1 last year and got an incredible 14/50, so no book for me, I was well disappointed, but the 34! question was awful, totally unfair if you didn't know the divisiblity, although i should have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    I took BMO 1 last year and got an incredible 14/50, so no book for me, I was well disappointed, but the 34! question was awful, totally unfair if you didn't know the divisiblity, although i should have
    34 factorial is that? What was the question if you can remember it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    34 factorial is that? What was the question if you can remember it?
    It gave you 34! and took out 4 digits of it, and asked you to find those 4 digits.

Links to all the past 10 years BMO1 and 2 papers can be found at http://www.bmoc.maths.org/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    It gave you 34! and took out 4 digits of it, and asked you to find those 4 digits.

Links to all the past 10 years BMO1 and 2 papers can be found at http://www.bmoc.maths.org/
    O-kaaaaaay I ain't touching that one!

ReputationRep:
    An ex-teacher of the school did the whole paper during breakfast. I like his solution to Q3 very much. It only used 10 lines. I got 20/50. I thought you only need 10 points to go through. NO? Ok, Statistics can be miss leading.

Answered Q1 and Q2 in 90mins and then no further advance since.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    An ex-teacher of the school did the whole paper during breakfast. I like his solution to Q3 very much. It only used 10 lines. I got 20/50. I thought you only need 10 points to go through. NO? Ok, Statistics can be miss leading.

Answered Q1 and Q2 in 90mins and then no further advance since.
    Yeah I got Q2 out completely, had no idea for 1, made a bit of a mess on 3, but still got 3 marks for it...

ReputationRep:
    Any other competition you lot doing this year?
    I'm taking part in the National Cipher Challenge, which is currently underway.

ReputationRep:
    ive not done the maths challenge before... but i am entered this year.

whats this cipher thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    whats this cipher thing?
    A series of 8 messages to decode, each one being gradually harder than the previous one. It's currently halfway through the 4th message (you get between 1-3 weeks to decode and send each message depending on how hard it is). So far, I've got the first 4 all correct.

If you get all 8 completely correct, and, if more than one team does this, you are the fastest to submit your solutions, then you and your school shares in the £1500 prize.

See http://www.cipher.maths.soton.ac.uk/ for more info.

ReputationRep:
    Any possibility that we can see the questions here?

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering how many of you out there is going to do the Maths Challenge this year? Apparently there were three people in the country got full marks last year.
    Usually just got Bronze's except Year 9 (age 13) did the Intermediate, got 87 (Gold), then went into the European round and got 50-odd.

ReputationRep:
    i dnt no if its gud but i did the SMC last year and i was in year 11 and got 103 and then in the BMO i got 34! factorial correct and the x^2yz+xy^2z+xyz^2 question to get a total of 26 in the BMO.
    doing it agen this year i got 102 in the SMC this year and im gonna b doing the BMO this year . I'm hoping to do well this year

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    This year if ya didnt notice i have had a thng for saying "this year" it all started this year when my m8 bet me £50 saying that i cudnt say this year in a day 100 times in a conversation and actually make sense. hopefully i have dun and i can collect my reward which i have been w8ing 4 all this year .its seems that christmas will come twice this year

ReputationRep:
    I got Bronze Awards in the Junior and Senior Maths Challenges but our year didn't get to do the Intermediate one for some unknown reason :rolleyes: I got a U last year in AS-level Maths though...so go figure haha My boyfriend got gold in the Junior one in year 7...and he got best in school last year...swot! lol

ReputationRep:
    I got the best in school last year and a book from BMO comittee. But I was sick on the day this year. So nothing for me this time arround.

ReputationRep:
    This year's boundries are as follows:

Gold: 87 and above
    Silver: 72-86
    Bronze: 61-71

All candidates scoring over 98 are entered automatically for the BMO Round 1. Should candidates scoring lower want to enter, a lower threshold of 96 has been set, below which a candidate shouldn't be entered.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 5, 2004

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.