Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Does anyone know what the top private schools are like and why they are so successful?
    I go to a private school which is academically very successful, although it is not famous. I will attempt to answer both parts of your question with the following points, which are in no particular order.

1. Most are single sex, up until the sixth-form at least. This obviously means fewer distractions, and more orientation to work, but maybe less maturity.

2. A higher calibre of teacher is attracted through slightly higher salaries, but more importantly through academically and behaviourally better pupils.

3. It's much easier for the headmaster to expel those who are performing poorly academically or behave badly.

4. Entrance exams mean that only the academically-able get in.

5. There is an intellectual atmosphere and ethos, produced by a mixture of the teachers and the people who go there. Academic success will impress everyone in the school.

6. Classes are smaller, with GCSE classes for compulsory subjects having about eighteen pupils (and between five and fifteen for minority subjects), and A-level classes having between two and fourteen pupils.

7. There is rigorous academic setting even within an already small ability range.

8. The many extra-curricular activities and sports which are available keep morale up, and complement the academic side.

9. School uniforms, school traditions, the school song, and history (my school is over 500 years old) keep up a good school spirit and school loyalty.

10. The fact that parents pay fees encourages pupils to get the most out of their school.

11. High-quality buildings and a pretty site engender pride in the school(although my school isn't particularly good on that one).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    I have spoken to a couple of people here who have come from top independent schools and they have said that they are shocked at the amount of work there is to do. At school they were used to being taught extremely well and given all the information they needed to pass the exam and now that they have to learn independently they are struggling. People from state schools who have made it to university, however, tend to be used to working independently and so have found the transition a lot easier, and that is because they have had to put in a lot of effort in order to learn the information which others have been handed on a plate.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    You would have thought private schools, where most of the students go on to university, would understand the importance if independant study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I go to a private school which is academically very successful, although it is not famous. I will attempt to answer both parts of your question with the following points, which are in no particular order.

1. Most are single sex, up until the sixth-form at least. This obviously means fewer distractions, and more orientation to work, and maybe less maturity.

2. A higher calibre of teacher is attracted through slightly higher salaries, but more importantly through academically and behaviourally better pupils.

3. It's much easier for the headmaster to expel those who are performing poorly academically or behave badly.

4. Entrance exams mean that only the academically-able get in.

5. There is an intellectual atmosphere and ethos, produced by a mixture of the teachers and the people who go there. Academic success will impress everyone in the school.

6. Classes are smaller, with GCSE classes for compulsory subjects having about eighteen pupils (and between five and fifteen for minority subjects), and A-level classes having between two and fourteen pupils.

7. There is rigorous academic setting even within an already small ability range.

8. The many extra-curricular activities and sports which are available keep morale up, and complement the academic side.

9. School uniforms, school traditions, the school song, and history (my school is over 500 years old) keep up a good school spirit and school loyalty.

10. The fact that parents pay fees encourages pupils to get the most out of their school.

11. High-quality buildings and a pretty site engender pride in the school (although my school isn't particularly good on that one).
    That reminds me a lot of my school, bar obviously points 1,3 and 11. Shame some people want to shut it down...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    You would have thought private schools, where most of the students go on to university, would understand the importance if independant study.
    Yes perhaps you would think that, but a girl from Cheltenham Ladies' said that she was warned but it was still a complete shock because she had never had to really go out of her way to find information before because the teaching was so good. That's maybe why state school students outperform independent school students overall at university level.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Yes, but the private school i go to, is a medium class one. It teaches us to learn the subject, and not to just learn the syllabus. Because it expects us to do 40% of the work in Year 12 of our own (ie do own reearch). and in Y13 we get to do 70% of the work and refer to the teach if there is anything we dont understand. I mean that prepares us for uni, and is quite good. But I hate schools who just do syllabuses, because that means they get good positions in the school league, but ending up with really spoonfed pupils.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but the private school i go to, is a medium class one. It teaches us to learn the subject, and not to just learn the syllabus. Because it expects us to do 40% of the work in Year 12 of our own (ie do own reearch). and in Y13 we get to do 70% of the work and refer to the teach if there is anything we dont understand. I mean that prepares us for uni, and is quite good. But I hate schools who just do syllabuses, because that means they get good positions in the school league, but ending up with really spoonfed pupils.
    Yes - I guess your school is probably quite unusual in doing that, from what I have heard.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    I went on the Eton College Summer School to study Biology and was amazed by the quality of teaching and the facilities on offer. The school boasts a recently refurbished music building with about eight recording rooms and corridors lined with private practise rooms. There is the largest outdoor swimming pool in England, private golf courses, an exclusive tennis club with about 30 courts, acres and acres of grounds, two chapels, their own natural history museum...... If you can afford to study there then the benefits are endless!

i really dont understand. I thought motivated student=a student who would do some extra research and stuff to complement their own school work, thats what im doing. Surely thats the only way to get into top unis??????????????????

ReputationRep:
    i really dont understand. I thought motivated student=a student who would do some extra research and stuff to complement their own school work, thats what im doing. Surely thats the only way to get into top unis??????????????????
    Not necessarily. If you've been coached in interview techniques and taught information and exam techniques extremely well then I think it is probably possible to get a good university place.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

suppose so

(Original post by Ralfskini)
    I went on the Eton College Summer School to study Biology and was amazed by the quality of teaching and the facilities on offer. The school boasts a recently refurbished music building with about eight recording rooms and corridors lined with private practise rooms. There is the largest outdoor swimming pool in England, private golf courses, an exclusive tennis club with about 30 courts, acres and acres of grounds, two chapels, their own natural history museum...... If you can afford to study there then the benefits are endless!

did u have to pay? what was the teaching like?

ReputationRep:
    what was the teaching like?
    "I went on the Eton College Summer School to study Biology and was amazed by the quality of teaching and the facilities on offer. "

Answere your question?

i meant like, what they were taught etc

The posh schools put mine to shame. The **** stained walls and classes the smell of urine usually house about 30 students per a level subject. My psychology class started out with 35.

I think its great that university offers are lower for people from schools like mine, who may have the same potential as a posh school pupil, but not the same amount of money.

The posh schools put mine to shame. The **** stained walls and classes the smell of urine usually house about 30 students per a level subject. My psychology class started out with 35.

I think its great that university offers are lower for people from schools like mine, who may have the same potential as a posh school pupil, but not the same amount of money.
    Hmmm although private skool kids mite disagree i think its a good idea if u aint got the resources and teaching wuality its no wonder people dont fulfil their potential

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    1. Most are single sex, up until the sixth-form at least. This obviously means fewer distractions, and more orientation to work, but maybe less maturity.
    I find that going to a mixed school helps, as I want to work to my full potential so as to impress the girls.

wow there, I am in a private school, though my mum doesnt even earn £10,000. I have no daddy. I got into teh school, beacuse my private school gives free schooling to those who can't afford it but have the potential to go in. That's why i am really angry to hear such words. we are not all rich you kow. and my mum works damned hard to earn money for me and my sister.

bump

ReputationRep:
    did u have to pay? what was the teaching like?

Oh, sorry! Ive been doing maths homework. Well I had to pay half and Eton payed the other half becasue it was a scholarship sorta thing. The teaching was excellent and you were pushed really hard. I stayed there for 10 days in one of the eton boarding houses (each student has a single room) and found myself staying up really late every night to get all of the work done! If anybody is interested, you can find information about it by going to www.etoncollege.com[/url] the clicking on summer courses, then university summer school.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a good private school, but it's fees aren't that high (it always does well in the value-for-money-tables that show academic success against fees). i think the reasons it's such a good school are :

1) it's so selective. you have to be really good to get in.
    2) it's a single sex school (although there is a boys school down the road with the same governers, and they do have some less popular lessons together at sixth form as well as doing plays + concerts etc. together)
    3) It's pretty strict (there is one thread ages ago where i described all the rules on jewellery... was pretty funny)
    4) the teachers are good- there are a few bad ones, but the majority are excellent
    5) people are setted in the core subjects at gcse (essential in things like french)
    6) the support system of form tutors + head of years etc. is excellent.
    7) it does have good resources (the boys school had a swimming pool which we used)
    8) it's an old school with a lot of traditions (everyone has to do latin...urghhh)

I'm now at one of the top 6th form colleges in the country- it's not private and is very large. it is completely the opposite of my school, but it seems to work (not sure why)

lou xxx

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.