Turn on thread page Beta

Durham is a v. nice place to live. I've been here a month, and I've seen a grand total of one ugly building (admittedly this was the student union, but its so bad its good, if you see what I mean, and the inside is nice)

Just to clear up the record, Klute was voted the second worst nightclub in Europe. The worst was some place in Poland, but it burnt down, so now Klute is officially the worst. But it rocks !

Oh, by the way, no first years actually get to live in the castle. You're essentially dumped in bedsits nearby. Also, university college has a brutally high applicant-to-place ratio - last year I believe it was 15.7 to 1.

ReputationRep:
    "New Castle" lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    "New Castle" lol
    just my weird sense of humor - I was surprised no one picked up on it

* I'm gonna live in a Castle *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    Omg! That's cold. And I'm used to Norwegian temperature. Oki, so it can get -20 C in the winter, but I'm used to 20-30 degrees during the summer!
    thats the av temp. it will be warmer in summer dont worry!

ReputationRep:
    I live in the North! wahey! hmmm, anyway, Durham is a nice place, sure its full of history, lovely old buildings, quaint shops and pubs. However I'm here to tell you the truth behind the North of England, i'll let u into a little secret, it's great. The people are mainly down to earth amd honest, u'll always find a grumpy old man willing to play pool in any pub and the cuisine is amazing, pie and chips, fish and chips, sausage and chips, egg and chips, beans and chips, and my personal fav, chips and curry sauce.

As to their being areas of poverty, damn straight there are but so what? You go to university to experience new things, and you cant avoid poor ppl for your entire life. Just because they are less fortunate doesnt mean they will attack you with a big stick on a night out.

As for those nights out, well yes durham is rather space on the club side of things, however Newcastle is only down the road and late night trains run. And those geordies are always partying, and drinking, great fun, especially the baja beach club.

Final word, there is an all u can eat chinese buffet, and they do student specials. Convinced its a great place? Bring a scarf.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 9, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.