Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The problem is with the US constitution, in the 2nd Amendment it says you are allowed to own a gun. A 200 year old law not relevant to today's society. So it is very easy to blame the rappers that glorify the 'glam-rap' life, but it wouldn't be as big a problem if people weren't allowed to own guns. The problem in our music industry (e.g. So Solid Crap) only comes here through those rap groups that feel they can sponge off the success of the hip-hop movement in the States. As well as those record labels that sell American hip-hop here.

But I firmly believe it is people that kill people, not guns. You can always find a gun no matter how hard law makes it. But it's the people that we need to fix. And that's by cleaning up all those inner city slums. I often hear how someone got shot or mugged or stabbed on or near my way to and from sixth-form, and the other areas I frequent. Admittedly it's an area where the music of choice is the sort that's being blamed for it all, but it's also an area where bobbies on the beat are non-existent. Some guy got stabbed 30 seconds from Bethnal Green Police Station, and no-one's been caught or anything. It's just childish passing of the buck to blame the music industry and not take a look at the police, who are supposed to protect us and prevent the villains.

ReputationRep:
    100% agreement with me then...this is a first!

(Original post by ZJuwelH)
    The problem is with the US constitution, in the 2nd Amendment it says you are allowed to own a gun. A 200 year old law not relevant to today's society. So it is very easy to blame the rappers that glorify the 'glam-rap' life, but it wouldn't be as big a problem if people weren't allowed to own guns. The problem in our music industry (e.g. So Solid Crap) only comes here through those rap groups that feel they can sponge off the success of the hip-hop movement in the States. As well as those record labels that sell American hip-hop here.

But I firmly believe it is people that kill people, not guns. You can always find a gun no matter how hard law makes it. But it's the people that we need to fix. And that's by cleaning up all those inner city slums. I often hear how someone got shot or mugged or stabbed on or near my way to and from sixth-form, and the other areas I frequent. Admittedly it's an area where the music of choice is the sort that's being blamed for it all, but it's also an area where bobbies on the beat are non-existent. Some guy got stabbed 30 seconds from Bethnal Green Police Station, and no-one's been caught or anything. It's just childish passing of the buck to blame the music industry and not take a look at the police, who are supposed to protect us and prevent the villains.
    If you were a lone policeman on the beat. Would you confront a large group of black youths with guns and knifes? I dont think so. Youd get the absolute **** kicked out of you. The real problem is the attitude towards the police. There is no respect for them nowadays, and thats why i belueve there are less police on the beat nowadays. I sure wouldnt want to be a policeman. No respect, music lyrics that encourage people to be against authority is mainly black rap music and you cant call me a racist because IT IS TRUE!

(Original post by Unregistered)
    If you were a lone policeman on the beat. Would you confront a large group of black youths with guns and knifes? I dont think so. Youd get the absolute **** kicked out of you. The real problem is the attitude towards the police. There is no respect for them nowadays, and thats why i belueve there are less police on the beat nowadays. I sure wouldnt want to be a policeman. No respect, music lyrics that encourage people to be against authority is mainly black rap music and you cant call me a racist because IT IS TRUE!
    Also, there is a lot of rights that the police have had taken away. You seen countless youths on telly saying to the police 'get off me, get off me with those handcuffs, ill sue you'. Police dont have the legal authority to do nything nowadays. There is so much stuff on offenders rights ... what about VICTIMS RIGHTS!!! What about societys rights to have a street that is safe to walk down during the day without some black youth coming up to you mugging you.

ReputationRep:
    i also think that hip hop music more so than rock music is to blame with the increase in gun crime in the uk , there has been a 30% increase in 3 years , this also relates to the rise of hip hop in the pop charts, theer must be a link

ReputationRep:
    ahh but we cant put hip hop with a coloured face on it, thats a whole different argument all together

ReputationRep:
    You're too racist. I'm leaving. In tears.

There is nothing remotely racist about any of the comments in this thread. It has nothing to do w/ race and everything to do w/ impressionable youth.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The real problem is the attitude towards the police. There is no respect for them nowadays, and thats why i belueve there are less police on the beat nowadays.
    The real problem is the attitude towards *everyone*. TBH I think it's one of the saddest things to see the growing numbers of young people who seem to have no hope or ambitions for their future - in fact they seem to have such little respect for themselves and for the rest of society that they don't seem to even see that they have a future

This isn't about getting more bobbies on the beat - it's about raising aspirations and getting rid of poverty - anything else is just a quick fix which will cost far more than any benefit derived from it.

ReputationRep:
    indeed but another thread was talkign about black hip hop, i was reffering to hip hop as a whole, as goign into the difference between white and black hip hop is another topic itself.
    but indeed i am beggining to think about the corrolation between both, there is a link but i cant quite find it if you know what i mean

ReputationRep:
    How are we supposed to respect the police if they don't do their job? How are we supposed to have faith in the legal system if it screws us so much (e.g. the issue of offenders' rights)? I totally agree victims' rights are more important than offenders' rights and hate the way that the inverse has seemed to happen in our legal system. It sucks!
    And did I say anything about a lone policeman? Why not two or a group. You hear so much about them being stuck behind their desks, partly a fault of bureaucracy, partly a fault of their own fear of the streets. It's much better to have at least some policemen on the streets (albeit at their risk but didn't they know that when they joined?) than none at all.

(Original post by Eámanë)
    indeed but another thread was talkign about black hip hop, i was reffering to hip hop as a whole, as goign into the difference between white and black hip hop is another topic itself.
    but indeed i am beggining to think about the corrolation between both, there is a link but i cant quite find it if you know what i mean
    Im sorry but no matter how racist this sounds, there is no such thing as white hip-hop. It is all inspired by black artists. Eminem caused such a controversy because he is white. No other reason. if he had been black, he would never had been as successful as he is now.

ReputationRep:
    Im sorry but no matter how racist this sounds, there is no such thing as white hip-hop. It is all inspired by black artists. Eminem caused such a controversy because he is white. No other reason. if he had been black, he would never had been as successful as he is now.
    And why does everything have to be black or white why can't it just be?
    Anyway the point that was being made was that noone was steriotyping either blacks or whites as promoting bad hip hop, but that it comes from both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    The real problem is the attitude towards *everyone*. TBH I think it's one of the saddest things to see the growing numbers of young people who seem to have no hope or ambitions for their future - in fact they seem to have such little respect for themselves and for the rest of society that they don't seem to even see that they have a future

This isn't about getting more bobbies on the beat - it's about raising aspirations and getting rid of poverty - anything else is just a quick fix which will cost far more than any benefit derived from it.
    one of the key components of attitude today is the popularity and desire to speak your mind, to say what you want, do what you want.let us not confuse that with free speech. the latter will always be welcome through the right channels. however, in public and in the company of other people, a level of decorum is required, something to which the British were once known for. the americans dont have it, but while it does not offend them, it does us. it is disgusting. even the french behave better in public than us.

(Original post by vienna95)
    one of the key components of attitude today is the popularity and desire to speak your mind, to say what you want, do what you want.let us not confuse that with free speech. the latter will always be welcome through the right channels. however, in public and in the company of other people, a level of decorum is required, something to which the British were once known for. the americans dont have it, but while it does not offend them, it does us. it is disgusting. even the french behave better in public than us.
    viena95 why do you chat so much jumped up bum? you distort issues beyond belief.

"one of the key components of attitude today is the popularity and desire to speak your mind"

what are you on about? Social alienation and an engulfing sense of hopelessness amongst todays youth is why this anti-social attitude is prevelant. what on earth does speaking ones mind have to do with it? Poverty and a fractured society are the causal facotrs of anti-social behaviour. Your talk of behaving well in society is so naive, as if all have an equal to desire to be polite to others is ludicrous.

ReputationRep:
    viena95 why do you chat so much jumped up bum? you distort issues beyond belief.

"one of the key components of attitude today is the popularity and desire to speak your mind"

what are you on about? Social alienation and an engulfing sense of hopelessness amongst todays youth is why this anti-social attitude is prevelant. what on earth does speaking ones mind have to do with it? Poverty and a fractured society are the causal facotrs of anti-social behaviour. Your talk of behaving well in society is so naive, as if all have an equal to desire to be polite to others is ludicrous.
    perhaps you would like to enlighten me as to how previous generations didnt feel social alienation or 'hopelessness'or poverty? of course, they did. i would agree that political correctness and affirmative action have driven social identity underground. in trying to pursue a failed goal, the left has fragmented society into individuals who have no identity for themselves among others.

however, it is the self-centered attitude to pursue your own feelings and let them be known to everyone else, as if everyone is actually interested, that is the main consequence of a narcissitic attitude that developed in the 60s-70s and took hold throughout the 80s. the children of the 80s are todays young adults, the social group among which this attitude is most visible. encroaching on other peoples liberties is seen as the virtue of a strong willed person and not the failing of an ill-mannered yob.

(Original post by ZJuwelH)
    How are we supposed to respect the police if they don't do their job? How are we supposed to have faith in the legal system if it screws us so much (e.g. the issue of offenders' rights)? I totally agree victims' rights are more important than offenders' rights and hate the way that the inverse has seemed to happen in our legal system. It sucks!
    And did I say anything about a lone policeman? Why not two or a group. You hear so much about them being stuck behind their desks, partly a fault of bureaucracy, partly a fault of their own fear of the streets. It's much better to have at least some policemen on the streets (albeit at their risk but didn't they know that when they joined?) than none at all.
    'When they joined' ... if sumthing isnt done no-one is going to join! We expect policemen and women to break up fights in the street etc. which could leave them seriously hurt if not killed, but they are only human beings.

Would you wanna be a policeman?

It's not just rap music though. I mean look at that Queen song: "Mamma I just killed a man, put the gun up to his head pulled the trigger now he's dead" or something.

ReputationRep:
    not really; how often do you hear that Queen song ok Kiss FM huh?

(Original post by kikzen)
    not really; how often do you hear that Queen song ok Kiss FM huh?
    Do you really look like that in your picture? :s

ReputationRep:
    sometimes

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.