Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You have budgeted £125 per month for going out, travel and clothes, which is similar to my budget. I have budgeted £140 per month, which I think is very doable, again food is fine, I have budgeted £25 per week for food, which should be plenty.

I am a second year so I have more of an idea but your on the right track. Your £125 per month, on entertainment, clothes, travel, maybe shouldn't be separate items because some months you will spend more on travel, or clothes than others so will have to spend less on going out. But you can keep track of that as you go along.

Just a tip, if you are reallllly planning to stick to your budget you have to make sure you ar not overspending every day, if you do, make a note to deduct it from future spendings, but don't make a habit of it because then you tend to not tighten your spendings accordingly. it may seem like a massive chore at first, especially if no one else is doing it but if you think about every purchase in relation to your budget, even just a sandwich or a coffee!

But you do have an overdraft you can use, but it is really good if you don't have to use it at all. Put it in a high interest account or something.

Or just spend it and not worry too much! I suppose it depends on you! You could not think about what your spending and finish £1250 overdrawn, (what I did and regret!) or still have fun but be careful with money.

ReputationRep:
    I think your budget of drinking £45 is rather low. Unless you plan to go out once a week, drinking the university deals with drinks that are £1.50 each. And your contract of 35 quid is a bt high, man! Transport is rather low too, I spend more than £20 a month unless you live on campus thats well integrated with the city.

Also don't expect the £3000 overdraft. They will only give it to third year students, apparently. I just got my o/d extended to a grand and I'm in 2nd year. My bank advertised the £3000 overdraft but hardly anyone needs it however if they did, they';d need to be in third year.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt try and budget exact amounts for each thing but rather budget per week as things will come up in some weeks that won't in others. Also to help your budget look around the web for places to save money - like buy second hand textbooks - i know unitown.co.uk allows you to do that and as there no fee they tend to be cheaper then amazon. Also what uni are u going to as this will impact your costs massively

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.