Too much paracetamol (Trigger) Watch

amt250
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
I read 24 was the 'limit'
but thatd depend on how much you weigh and stuff....
Shakthi
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by becki08)

Just one thing to say though - it doesn't necessarily take 30+ paracetamol to kill you, especially if you have a history of overdosing. A nurse told me she knew someone who only took one tablet but because she'd had a history of ODs she still died from it. Accumulative effects of overdosing can often be more dangerous than one big one (obviously depending on how big). I'm not of course doubting that you aren't suicidal but saying that you should be aware that even small ODs can still be dangerous.

Oh my, ok def never ever taking another paracetamol again then
sophisticated
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Usual thing mods, delete rather than de-anon.

Ok so slightly awkward Q:

The background:
- For about 2 years before I started cutting (which was about 5 years ago - so about 7 years ago) I used to sort of take minor overdoses of pain killers. Not like ODs that could kill you... kinda like the equivalent of cutting relative to actually slitting your wrists. So maybe 8 paracetamol or something. The sort of thing that alters your mental state about as much as SHing, but also has about as much chance of killing you. I am not suicidal.
- In the last 3 years I have self harmed a grand total of 3 times. I'm what we call 'recovering' - because you're never really totally cured, but I'm as good as it's going to get.

Recently life is a bit rough. Well a lot rough. I'm nowhere near starting to properly SH again, but I feel a lot like I did the other times I slipped up. Except now I work with kids, and do lots of sport with them, and can't really hide it. So last night I sort of did one of these minor overdoses - something I haven't done in 5 years.

Anyway, I'm guessing I'm not the only one who went through this gateway stage before picking up the scalpel - can anyone tell me how long it'll take for me to stop feeling nauseous? I'd kinda forgotten that whereas being able to feel the cuts of SH for a couple of days afterwards is sorta therapeutic, doing this to yourself just makes you feel ****.

So uh, any ideas? Only took 7 if that makes a difference.
If you're not suicidal, why did you feel the need to add the (trigger) bit in the title yourself?
The mods usually do that you know :p:
dob86
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bikipip)
If you are a doctor you should know better than using your status as reason for anyone to take your advice without a one-on-one consultation.

It doesn't say:
"Consult some random person on internet forums who claims he's a physician"

it says:
"Consult your psysician immediately"

OP hasn't mentioned the dosage either. It simply says '7 pills'. Paracetamol is sold in varying dosages and some brands such as Anadin contain caffeine etc. to increase effectiveness. Oh wait, you know all this, right? :p:

Even the 7 x (usual) 500 microgram pills may cause serious internal damage which requires immediate attention. Everyone is different and reacts in different ways. For example, I fell unconscious after taking less than this dosage, I have no medical conditions and am a healthy weight.

OP I hope you are feeling better now. Do see a doctor to discuss your self-harm issues. Hope you are feeling better soon! :hugs:
If you're going to be holier than thou, get your dosages right. It's milligrams.

*end pedantry*
Smile88egc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If the nausea is in any way liked to the paracetamol, its probably through your anxiety from the issues that made you take it, and what you felt afterwards, as it would all have been broken down by now, even if you have previously damaged your liver.
You deffinately need to talk to your gp tho, i think you might benefit from a community psychiatric nurse x
Gazule
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

The background:
- For about 2 years before I started cutting (which was about 5 years ago - so about 7 years ago) I used to sort of take minor overdoses of pain killers. Not like ODs that could kill you... kinda like the equivalent of cutting relative to actually slitting your wrists. So maybe 8 paracetamol or something. The sort of thing that alters your mental state about as much as SHing, but also has about as much chance of killing you. I am not suicidal.
- In the last 3 years I have self harmed a grand total of 3 times. I'm what we call 'recovering' - because you're never really totally cured, but I'm as good as it's going to get.

Recently life is a bit rough. Well a lot rough. I'm nowhere near starting to properly SH again, but I feel a lot like I did the other times I slipped up. Except now I work with kids, and do lots of sport with them, and can't really hide it. So last night I sort of did one of these minor overdoses - something I haven't done in 5 years.

Anyway, I'm guessing I'm not the only one who went through this gateway stage before picking up the scalpel - can anyone tell me how long it'll take for me to stop feeling nauseous? I'd kinda forgotten that whereas being able to feel the cuts of SH for a couple of days afterwards is sorta therapeutic, doing this to yourself just makes you feel ****.

As long as you don't drink spirits you will be fine. Drink some milk to line your stomach against the drug. Then go get counseling.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Rule of thumb: ANYONE who puts "(Trigger)" in brackets themselves when starting a thread is a troll.
Rexehuk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Pssh... You can take upto 4 grams of paracetamol in a day and not die, your liver will hate you though...

Why do people still think paracetamol is the best way to kill themselves? It is one of the least effective... when will people learn.

If you want to do it, buy muscle relaxant and benzos and don't post on this forum to annoy us all.

Silly Trolls ^^
whats_its_face
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

The background:

Thats 3.5g of paracetamol. Not enough to send you to hospital and you should be fine. Just in case, tell someone you accidentally took too many - you were taking 4, and you forgot you took them and you took some more. This way they can keen check on you if things go haywire.
*Stargirl*
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
phone nhs helpline thats on 24/7
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 9 years ago
If you are a doctor you should know better than using your status as reason for anyone to take your advice without a one-on-one consultation.

It doesn't say:
"Consult some random person on internet forums who claims he's a physician"

it says:
"Consult your psysician immediately"

OP hasn't mentioned the dosage either. It simply says '7 pills'. Paracetamol is sold in varying dosages and some brands such as Anadin contain caffeine etc. to increase effectiveness. Oh wait, you know all this, right? :p:

Even the 7 x (usual) 500 microgram pills may cause serious internal damage which requires immediate attention. Everyone is different and reacts in different ways. For example, I fell unconscious after taking less than this dosage, I have no medical conditions and am a healthy weight.

OP I hope you are feeling better now. Do see a doctor to discuss your self-harm issues. Hope you are feeling better soon! :hugs:
Actually doctors give advice all the time without 'one to on consults'. Hell, if you ring NHSdirect you get a nurse giving you advice without a propr 'one to one consult'. There is no rule that bans the use of media such as email and internet for giving basic medical advice.

The OP hasn't mentioned dosage. True. However, being an emergency doctor who has dealt with dozens of overdoses, as well as I know word for word the guidelines I know full well about all the paracetamol preperations. I know full well that in the UK >99% of paracetamol preperations are 500mg. Those that aren't tend to be smaller (300mg with some caffeine added for instance). I know that the toxic dose of paracetamol is 150mg/kg ina normal person, 75mg/kg if they have a screwed liver/risk factors. That is a medical fact. That equates to 22 tablets in a healthy person, and 11 in a 'high risk factor' patient.

The only way you can 'fall unconsious' from a sub-toxic dose of paracetamol is
a)they happen to be something like co-codamol which contains codeine
b) you drank loads of alcohol and passed out from that (contrary to popular belief taking an overdose whilst drunk does NOT make it more likely you'll die, regulary drinking excessively does however)
Talon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
7 normal tesco-packet paracetamol tablets should not be a lethal dose. If you are worried you should consult a doctor.

I would avoid a paracetamol overdose at all costs. It is not a pleasant way to go.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 9 years ago
Didn't drink any alcohol, no co-codamol (I think) and I fell unconscious. The doctors at the A&E attributed it to the paracetamol too.

Imagine something happened to the OP and it was because she chose to take your advice? I'd rather someone called NHS direct than take my advice over the internet .

Edit: Also rather interesting that you're a doctor and have time to post a lot on student forums arguing over medical info etc. No offense intended. I'd just imagine that when I'm qualified & settled into a good career (like you have) I won't really want to do this sort of thing anymore ... meh, each to his own I guess...
I've been a member of this site for many years since i was a student. I didn't simply ditch it when i qualified. I'm not embarrased about my membership. I probably post about 2 or 3 times a week now, it takes me all of a few minutes to scan through the dross for something interesting. I even slot in regular sports, reading and a girlfriend. Its hardly extreme time management.

I don't tend to argue with people over medical info, i correct and inform.
For isntance my correction of your assertion about paracetamol making you lose consciousness. It does not and cannot do so if you have not destroyed your liver. [and hence caused hepatic encepalopathy].
Its no more scientifically possible than "Putting on 5lbs when looking at chocolate"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (181)
27.38%
No (480)
72.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed