What Defines Club Size? Watch

Barça
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If club size is defined by percentage of stadium filled then Scunthorpe United is a bigger club than Barcelona
Jim7494
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hubert Poo)
But it would be fair, along the combination pattern peeps seem to be going for, to suggest they fulfil one such aspect - at least - adequately, yes?
no doubt they do tick one of the boxes, but considering it is a one club city and on average their gate has been short of 7000 this season, then i stand by the opinion they are not a big club
Klinsmannic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mfc20)
How does percentage of stadium filled define the size of a club??

What about a club who move into a huge stadium but then will obviously not fill it. Surely size is more important than this joke of a factor?
Who has moved to a new stadium that they can't at least fill 90% of? Any club that has done that is stupid.

It reflects the size and loyalty of your fanbase, and it's easier to compare across clubs which is useful in this discussion (otherwise the team with the biggest stadium would win). Leeds are a big club in my eyes because they get 30,000 people (out of 38 iirc?) in the Championship and League 1. Boro on the other hand...
jbjab
Report 9 years ago
Whether you're a Manc, Gooner, Red or Blue, whatever - what for you personally defines the size of a club?

I'm not talking about whether they're better than anyone else (606 is thattaway . . .) but objective size.

We always hear about Manchester United being "the biggest club in the world." Are they? If so, why?

Is it about trophies? Finance? Influence? Fan base? History etc? Or a combination? In your conclusions as to why, who fits the bill?

Or do you have an entirely different view? Is the concept ridiculous, or too corporate? Refer to . . .
The history of the club; how many trophies they have won, how many memorable moments and people they have given the sport, how well they are recognized around the world (e.g Man U are huge in Asia and in most places). What kind of image they have is important, this is produced by the players, managers, stadiums, fans and trophies won.

Manchester United are so huge as they have such a great history and are probably the most recognized team in the world, as well as this they have big players, a great manager and top it off by winning... a lot.
Jim7494
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PeterMcPete)
Sunderland and Middlesborough are pretty close.
yes but in that respect so are manchester and liverpool :p:
Hubert Poo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by jbjab)
The history of the club; how many trophies they have won, how many memorable moments and people they have given the sport, how well they are recognized around the world (e.g Man U are huge in Asia and in most places). What kind of image they have is important, this is produced by the players, managers, stadiums, fans and trophies won.

Manchester United are so huge as they have such a great history and are probably the most recognized team in the world, as well as this they have big players, a great manager and top it off by winning... a lot.
Do you think then that the primary factors can vary from time to time depending purely on success of the moment?

Not agreeing or disagreeing with you, just throwing some thoughts up.
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think the clear answer is number of Club World Cups won
Jim7494
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ronaldo VII)

or maybe if players want to stay and they are not forced to stay eg Ronaldo:p:
Hubert Poo
Rep:
?
So, no bigger than Sao Paulo, Corinthians, Milan or Internacional then? :p:

If you take the original Intercontinental Cup as a base, then you have to contend with Penarol and Nacional too, along with Milan (again) Boca, and Real. You won that twice.
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So, no bigger than Sao Paulo, Corinthians, Milan or Internacional then? :p:

If you take the original Intercontinental Cup as a base, then you have to contend with Penarol and Nacional too, along with Milan (again) Boca, and Real. You won that twice.
It had to be said :yep:

I think there are a lot of factors and not a definitive answer. Personally for me, I'd consider fanbase (including stadium and % filled), finance (although related to fanbase), history (both recent history and long term). I'd probably throw in pulling power (as in ability to attract players) so probably better defined as reputation, both nationally and internationally, of team in general, players and manager.

There can't be a a right or wrong answer when comparing two similar club to say which is biggest as it's down to personal opinion. Some people will have different views on factors and others will have different factors altogether.
sebas_back
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Very good point Seba. Challenge extended.

So, what would you regard as defining credentials?
Where to start...ticket prices are probably the best place. Quality and consistency of vocal support would be another.

As has been shown elsewhere in this debate, you just cannot reduce a club to its simplest forms in "which club is bigger" debate, because ultimately absolute values are rendered ridiculous (see: World Club Cups won, as you demonstrated before), and relative values equally so (see: the point about Scunthorpe).
Hubert Poo
Rep:
?
Unbelievable Jeff. I have to say, top answer Phil. :borat:
mermania
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
48 League titles, 39 Cup wins.
Linfield are the biggest club :awesome:
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Whoever gets shown on Sky the most + has the most debt + has the most Oriental fans + most litreage of coca cola in the stadium + the most jester hats = biggest club. Seba
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've always wanted a jester hat for the football :bawling:
sebas_back
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Klinsmannic)
Whoever gets shown on Sky the most + has the most debt + has the most Oriental fans + most litreage of coca cola in the stadium + the most jester hats = biggest club. Seba
I'm a sado-masochistic, this pushes my buttons I'm afraid.
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sebas_back)
I'm a sado-masochistic, this pushes my buttons I'm afraid.
I've always wanted a jester hat for the football :bawling:
Haha

I've always wanted one of them giant hands like they used to have on Gladiators. No seriously.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PeterMcPete)
Sunderland and Middlesborough are pretty close.
Errr what? Yeah you could get the bus and travel between each city so easily like London stadiums? I live in County Durham and Newcastle is not on the door step.
Vintage
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Klinsmannic)
Newcastle have a monopoly in the city though. They're pretty unique in that regard. Areas such as London, Brum, Lancashire and the Midlands are full of high level football teams, but the Geordies have a city all to themselves (and still can't sell out some times).
Only because we're complete ******** with a chairman no-one wants.. But we don't just have a monopoly over the city. We have Newcastle then all north up to Berwick and the North-west just have Carlisle tend to support Newcastle (Although a fair few support Sunderland too) because theres no other 'big clubs' to support.

Plus Gateshead could be in the mix in about ten years... There ridiing high in the conference north now. and have agreed a deal to move away from the council owned international stadium (about 15k - but mainly hosts athletic events) to a new purposely built stadium.

Also Newcastle Blue-Star are riding high and have heavy money to make them better.

Plus with Blyth Spartans recent Fa Cup success fans from Northumberland have flocked to see them rather than Newcastle.

You could argue.. a major clubs downfall/bad form etc could have a possible affect on the lower teams around them.. Would you agree? (could this be made into a separate post?)
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Vintage)
Only because we're complete ******** with a chairman no-one wants.. But we don't just have a monopoly over the city. We have Newcastle then all north up to Berwick and the North-west just have Carlisle tend to support Newcastle (Although a fair few support Sunderland too) because theres no other 'big clubs' to support.

Plus Gateshead could be in the mix in about ten years... There ridiing high in the conference north now. and have agreed a deal to move away from the council owned international stadium (about 15k - but mainly hosts athletic events) to a new purposely built stadium.

Also Newcastle Blue-Star are riding high and have heavy money to make them better.

Plus with Blyth Spartans recent Fa Cup success fans from Northumberland have flocked to see them rather than Newcastle.

You could argue.. a major clubs downfall/bad form etc could have a possible affect on the lower teams around them.. Would you agree? (could this be made into a separate post?)
If anything I think that it's more to do with disillusionment with the commercialized nature of football with high ticket prices, overpaid players, fear of losing etc as opposed to the teams just performing badly. You're right it's an interesting debate, Vintage. My original point was just arguing that Newcastle are in an extremely advantageous geographical situation. As such, geography shouldn't enter the equation when we're looking at the size of the club imo.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (10)
37.04%
No (17)
62.96%

Watched Threads