Best Laptop for this Price? Watch

moonumer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Listen hanna thee best thing to do is to look at websites as gadget show and other mags and check out what they recommend.
Ezraeil
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey...I found this one for my sister and she's using it at the moment,and it's pretty good value for money...

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Asp...11/version.asp

My dad's got an Acer too and they both work really well...never had any problems with either

EDIT: sorry didn't read that you wanted Wi-Fi
timmo541
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I got a Sony Vaio NS series laptop 3gb ram 250gb hard drive for £430 off play.com and its amazing. How can anyone say sonys are bad? I know loads of people in high profile jobs who use the vaio. From my experience, Dell and HP are awful.
Ezraeil
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by moonumer)
Listen hanna thee best thing to do is to look at websites as gadget show and other mags and check out what they recommend.
And yeah I've advise that too
v-zero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You see that's where you're wrong. Sony has the biggest Market in Asia. Furthermore Sony laptops quality us unbeatable, it's speed is no. 1 and it's damn reliable and as you say it does look better than other laptops.
The Sony laptops hold a very small niche in the market, they are substantially more expensive for the performance, and offer little incentive other than nice looks to afford this price-hike. I know for a fact that Sony are frowned upon in corporate circles for poor QC and a lack of rugged-ness, my personal experinces with Vaio models fits this stereotype too.

The warranty is no better, and Sony being a failing company means they are increasing margins on their PC sector, which is bad for the consumer.

I implore you to go:

1.Lenovo
2.Dell
3.HP

in that order.
moonumer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by v-zero)
The Sony laptops hold a very small niche in the market, they are substantially more expensive for the performance, and offer little incentive other than nice looks to afford this price-hike. I know for a fact that Sony are frowned upon in corporate circles for poor QC and a lack of rugged-ness, my personal experinces with Vaio models fits this stereotype too.

The warranty is no better, and Sony being a failing company means they are increasing margins on their PC sector, which is bad for the consumer.

I implore you to go:

1.Lenovo
2.Dell
3.HP

in that order.
did you say a failing company? You seriously need to look at the facts. Like timmo said vaio's are used by people in top end jobs. furthermore Sony has never made a loss in it's profit, only this year due to the credit crunch. So how you can say that it's a failing company I don't know. Also the laptops speak from themselves as do the tech mags and hanna you want a laptop for uni not for you're business so please buy something which is reliable and Sony is defo the best.
motoroller
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OP, do you have specific requirements about the size, weight of the laptop etc.? If it's something that isn't going to be moved too often then look at a 17" or even a 20". If it has to be quite portable, then 14" or 15" is best. If you always want to have it on you, then go for 12" or 13".

Size matters!
Rosaaa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by silver_j)
Is it worth almost double the price?
Are you asking if a MacBook is worth double the price of a PC?
I'd say yeah.
But it's not double all PC laptops.

My last HP laptop was £950, and my MacBook is £1k (with student discount).
In comparison, HP was only 180gb, Macbook is 250gb, and just a lot better.
moonumer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
But remember different sizes cost different amounts of money. Extremely small and extremely large costing more.
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
did you say a failing company? You seriously need to look at the facts. Like timmo said vaio's are used by people in top end jobs. furthermore Sony has never made a loss in it's profit, only this year due to the credit crunch. So how you can say that it's a failing company I don't know. Also the laptops speak from themselves as do the tech mags and hanna you want a laptop for uni not for you're business so please buy something which is reliable and Sony is defo the best.
Business laptops are selected for a combination of price, performance and reliability. A lot of top-tier professionals also use Macs, it is not because they are best, it is because they are trendy - rich high up types like to look trendy and have pretty things, and they can afford to do so...
The £200 saved could be spent on something more fun and less mundane...

As for Sony, they are a failing company in this market. Their PC division is out-played at every turn, their customers have a low satisfaction rating over their entire Home Entertainment range, and they have posted a loss this year as a combination of the crunch and of failing divisions (the PS3 has been a costly venture indeed).
Consider that MS didn't post a loss despite plunging huge amounts of money into the Xbox and Xbox 360 - Sony's market model cannot support their ideals... :sigh:
moonumer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Business laptops are selected for a combination of price, performance and reliability. A lot of top-tier professionals also use Macs, it is not because they are best, it is because they are trendy - rich high up types like to look trendy and have pretty things, and they can afford to do so...
The £200 saved could be spent on something more fun and less mundane...

As for Sony, they are a failing company in this market. Their PC division is out-played at every turn, their customers have a low satisfaction rating over their entire Home Entertainment range, and they have posted a loss this year as a combination of the crunch and of failing divisions (the PS3 has been a costly venture indeed).
Consider that MS didn't post a loss despite plunging huge amounts of money into the Xbox and Xbox 360 - Sony's market model cannot support their ideals... :sigh:
Again, unless you work for a Market reasearch company you're facts are wrong. Home entertainment let me guess who on TSR has a Bravia a Sony Ericsson phone a ps3, Blue-ray player. But the fact of the matter is that Sony laptops are top quality, reliable, durable and for a prospect student I repeat student not business it is ideal.
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Again, unless you work for a Market reasearch company you're facts are wrong. Home entertainment let me guess who on TSR has a Bravia a Sony Ericsson phone a ps3, Blue-ray player. But the fact of the matter is that Sony laptops are top quality, reliable, durable and for a prospect student I repeat student not business it is ideal.
My facts aren't wrong. It is a waste of money for a student. I don't want to continue this argument because I know I'm right and that won't change.

For the record, I work in IT at PwC, for CapGemini. You?
Ezraeil
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My facts aren't wrong. It is a waste of money for a student. I don't want to continue this argument because I know I'm right and that won't change.

For the record, I work in IT at PwC, for CapGemini. You?
Give it a rest guys...All the OP wanted was some laptop advice and you guys have turned it into an all out argument..what the hell...:confused:
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SyedT)
Give it a rest guys...All the OP wanted was some laptop advice and you guys have turned it into an all out argument..what the hell...:confused:
Yer I know... I'm sorry. OP, here's your thread back. :rolleyes:
silver_j
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
yes. i would pay an extra 350 on a normal laptop that came loaded with OSX
It's just better
:sigh: that's just silly. Even if it's better, it would never be worth that much more. Vista does mostly the same things, I would much rather use that extra money else where.
hanna118212
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by motoroller)
OP, do you have specific requirements about the size, weight of the laptop etc.? If it's something that isn't going to be moved too often then look at a 17" or even a 20". If it has to be quite portable, then 14" or 15" is best. If you always want to have it on you, then go for 12" or 13".

Size matters!

Nah not really. The one I have at the moment is a total beast just because its so old. I couldn't be doing with a weeny laptop favoured by so many girls I know, just too small for my chubby fingers.
It will most likely stay in my uni room and before that downstairs in my house, I won't need to move it about too much.
I'm getting from this thread that Sonys are quite good.
silver_j
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rosaaa)
Are you asking if a MacBook is worth double the price of a PC?
I'd say yeah.
But it's not double all PC laptops.

My last HP laptop was £950, and my MacBook is £1k (with student discount).
In comparison, HP was only 180gb, Macbook is 250gb, and just a lot better.
That is an extremely expensive laptop for an HP, was it anything special? Spec for spec, mac's would probably compare but they don't have anything lower-end. My dell 17" laptop was £550 with pretty decent specs, the 17" macbook pro is almost £2000. The difference in the computers is absolutely no where near worth the difference in price.
Ezraeil
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hanna118212)
Nah not really. The one I have at the moment is a total beast just because its so old. I couldn't be doing with a weeny laptop favoured by so many girls I know, just too small for my chubby fingers.
It will most likely stay in my uni room and before that downstairs in my house, I won't need to move it about too much.
I'm getting from this thread that Sonys are quite good.
Sony laptops are good no doubt,but other brands are often better value for money...I'm quite biased towards Acer,having used it and all :p:
hanna118212
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Yer I know... I'm sorry. OP, here's your thread back. :rolleyes:
ha ha thankyou. I have no idea about all these numbers and names. I am bewildered. I know nothing about laptops really and I shall not pretend I do so I will just try and go with the advice that I can understand. :p:
But thankyou to everyone!
An Original Username
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
y wudnt u just get a desktop? u gonna be playin much sims 3 on the go?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (232)
27.62%
No (608)
72.38%

Watched Threads