Turn on thread page Beta

Could Gibraltar be considered part of the UK? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Where is Gibraltar? :o: (Sorry!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHAMON)
    I don't care.
    So why did you click on this thread if you don't care?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treasureBelle)
    in between spain and africa(morocco?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    in between spain and africa(morocco?).
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    It is still ruled by the UK, to an extent.
    GB doesn't include Gibraltar
    UK does

ReputationRep:
    never realised it was part of the continent, i thought it was an island.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    is it a crown dependency?
    No, it's a British Overseas Territory. Similar idea though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    So why did you click on this thread if you don't care?
    To share my opinion on it. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treasureBelle)
    Only has about 27.000 people living there. We have naval bases there. And the Spanish don't like it much. It's all about what the Gibs want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Viola~)
    GB doesn't include Gibraltar
    UK does
    No, it doesn't as previously posted.

It is an Oversea Territory. The British Overseas Territories are fourteen territories that are under the sovereignty of the United Kingdom, but which do not form part of the United Kingdom itself

ReputationRep:
    I must say, I like how in the OP's argument both parties managed to be categorically wrong.

ReputationRep:
    It's a "country" in the loose, cultural sense. But not a sovereign entity.

Nor is it a Crown Dependency. That is a specific term for the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

It is a British Overseas Territory. Its citizens are British and have "belonger" status.

If it were a sovereign entity, there would be a Queen of Gibraltar. Instead, the Queen in Right of the United Kingdom (as opposed to, say, Canada) is Head of State.

ReputationRep:
    It's sunny there most of the time. By definition it's not part of the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    If it were a sovereign entity, there would be a Queen of Gibraltar. Instead, the Queen in Right of the United Kingdom (as opposed to, say, Canada) is Head of State.
    It's an interesting point you raise, because the Queen in Right of Somewhere is not the same status as being the Queen of somewhere. For example, in the Canadian Provinces, there would be a Queen in Right of Ontario, but not a Queen of Ontario, essentially splitting the Crown legally, but maintaining it as a unified entity in style as Queen of Canada.

So quite conceivably there could be a Queen in Right of Gibraltar without there being a Queen of Gibraltar.

Moreover, there is in fact a King of Gibraltar (or, at least, a Pretender). It is one of the styles still claimed in the full title of the King of Spain. That said, His Majesty claims a hell of a lot in terms of title: to be the Archduke of Austria, the King of Hungary, the King of Jerusalem, the Duke of Milan, the Count of Flanders and probably Grand Poobah of some damnable African possession or other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    we wouldnt, gibraltar is in far too a strategic position to imagine us letting it go
    So was Hong Kong....they didn't want to be given back to China either :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    So was Hong Kong....they didn't want to be given back to China either :rolleyes:
    ...after we ****** about with it for so long!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    It's an interesting point you raise, because the Queen in Right of Somewhere is not the same status as being the Queen of somewhere. For example, in the Canadian Provinces, there would be a Queen in Right of Ontario, but not a Queen of Ontario, essentially splitting the Crown legally, but maintaining it as a unified entity in style as Queen of Canada.

So quite conceivably there could be a Queen in Right of Gibraltar without there being a Queen of Gibraltar.

Moreover, there is in fact a King of Gibraltar (or, at least, a Pretender). It is one of the styles still claimed in the full title of the King of Spain. That said, His Majesty claims a hell of a lot in terms of title: to be the Archduke of Austria, the King of Hungary, the King of Jerusalem, the Duke of Milan, the Count of Flanders and probably Grand Poobah of some damnable African possession or other.
    I did indeed neglect the executive-ness of the Canadian provinces. Whoops. :o:

The King of Spain could call himself the King of Vietnam for all I care. He's only fooling himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    But the UK had a 99 year lease on Hong Kong from 1898-1997 - that's why it was 'given back'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex-hs)
    But the UK had a 99 year lease on Hong Kong from 1898-1997 - that's why it was 'given back'.
    Not all of Hong Kong, I believe. Just most of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHAMON)
    I don't care.
    This. Just a place for overly proud Brits to bang on about how they use to own the world.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.