Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by titanomachy)
    Apparently we missed Bristol, though.
    Legendary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoz)
    Ideally there should be no countries and patriotism should be dead. There can be no compromise on this, humanity must come first. We must sustain everyone. Lets end the idiotic nationalistic talk of 'preserving our heritage' and keeping 'British jobs for the British'.
    :five:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    makes it seem all the more casual.

i think this would be far more interesting
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6057734.stm
    Pure science fiction though.

ReputationRep:
    I think racism is an evolutionary trait that is hard to suppress with our recent intellectualism.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering: how would we go about 'ending' racism full stop? Racism is an inner thought process of our minds - like it or not, humans being human will always display some form of prejudice, racism being one example.

Attempting to end racist thoughts would be difficult because we have free will; one can be brought up without nationalist or patriotic influences, and yet still feel prejudiced towards other races. We can be taught about the evil of racism at school, and yet still be racist. Etc.

How can we reach into the minds of human beings to end racism (or indeed any other form of prejudice)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoz)
    Hmm..? is that so? Does patriotism (or 'pride' in a heritage) not lead to a belief that your country is superior? And that in itself is a form of racism.

The fact is we have no real heritage, there is nothing to lose...
    What the hell are you talking about? In the Oxford Popular Dictionary, the definition for racism is:

racism n. belief in the superiority of a particular race; antagonism between races; theory that human abilities are determined by race.

How does being proud of your country fall into any of those categories?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoz)
    So, what difference does it make?
    So, what difference does it make?
    It makes none...
    To you... to some people, it doesn't. The sheer arrogance that you presume that everyone would be in favour of a 'peaceful genocide' is quite astounding, although typical of the "internationalist" brigade.

(Original post by Hoz)
    Hmm..? is that so? Does patriotism (or 'pride' in a heritage) not lead to a belief that your country is superior? And that in itself is a form of racism.
    If that is the case then I am a proud racist.

Luckily it's not. Refusing to accept cultural relativism =! hatred / discrimination of someone's race or ethnicity.

(Original post by Hoz)
    The fact is we have no real heritage, there is nothing to lose...
    You are amazingly ignorant. The fact is this country, for better or worse, has changed the world drastically. Tribal communities in the jungles of Borneo have pictures of our (see, the actual racists on this forum would have a problem with me using the word "our") heads of state on their bamboo walls, not out of force, but out of respect. That is part of our heritage.

ReputationRep:
    Explain why I am amazingly ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    ...Why don't you explain why this country has "no heritage?" The common wisdom would presume that actually, it does - since we have one of the world's richest histories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    ...Why don't you explain why this country has "no heritage?" The common wisdom would presume that actually, it does - since we have one of the world's richest histories.
    I'm not English, but exactly! The fact that half the world speaks English testifies to this. Not to mention the revolutionary cultural, philosophical and scientific achievements and breakthroughs by English individuals and English society. Think the Industrial Revolution, most of modern economics, most of modern philosophy, the Internet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    Hey, what if everyone would mate with someone of another skin colour and in about 1000 years we're all of the same colour and stuff? Wouldn't that be fun?
    That's on the film Thirteen! Kind of:
    Tracy: If everybody married someone from a different race then in one generation there would be no prejudice.

ReputationRep:
    It's the Darkies that are stopping progress. Kill them, them and their goddamn racism.

ReputationRep:
    Racism must end = I agree

ReputationRep:
    We'd have nothing to talk about then. Duh

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? God I wish I'd thought of that. You should really inform the government of this wondrous discovery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pavlik)
    Not true, though, is it? There would still be ample racial differences, between the mulattos and the mestizos etc.
    Yeah, one generation is a bit optimistic.

ReputationRep:
    I agree about racism needing to end. It's a pathetic concept.

ReputationRep:
    "British jobs for British workers" is just a more irritating way to say "Wahhh, I deserve this job because I happened to be born within these current political borders".

ReputationRep:
    Since there has been a rise in race-related threads, what do people think about the video in my sig?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkel)
    "British jobs for British workers" is just a more irritating way to say "Wahhh, I deserve this job because I happened to be born within these current political borders".
    Well lets take a hypothetical example here; if there was a job available somewhere and it was me against someone who had immigrated in the last 3 months, and we were equally qualified and equally suitable for the job. If we were completely equal I would be pretty incensed that all the money I have currently contributed to the economy via taxes and buying items with VAT and paying NI from my old job etc. played no role in letting me get a job over someone who has just moved to the country and hence contributed zero to the upkeep of the country. Sure, you could argue I might've used the NHS but actually I am pretty healthy thanks, and my parents have also been paying tax while I've been brought up, more than enough to cover my costs to the country.

I disagree with this internationalist viewpoint. If you are so unconcerned by it, why not move to another country then and take a job there, and leave the few jobs that are available for people who do have the view that British jobs should go to British people??

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.