Turn on thread page Beta

Who's halls experience didn't meet up to their expectations? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    It's just a room as far as I'm concerned, not much expectations to begin with. This isn't Hollyoaks . . . THIS IS SPARTA!
    You mean :sparta:

ReputationRep:
    I'm at middlesex... I live in a flat with only one other english person but get on with her so well and have made loads of mates on campus..I am suprised at how quiet the partying scene is here not much goes on but theres always at least a few partys each week. Will say though middlesex is crap at events etc compared to other unis and the security is crap we have had people break in are flat, use knifes to try and get in are room at night and its no wonder they put the only all girl flat on campus on ground floor idiots! x

ReputationRep:
    i didnt like halls, just liked my home comforts, couldnt picture myself in the endless cycle of having to drink every night or be seen as a social pariah.. i mean i love a drink once or twice a week but every night? so moved to my home town living with my bf and commute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxAlicexx)
    Hi, I just wanted to see how many people out there are majorly disappointed with how living in halls turned out. They say it's 'the luck of the draw' who you turn out living with, and I can't say that I was lucky in my own situation. My neighbours leave me out of everything, even though I did initially make the effort to be friendly to them, and I went on nights out with them. On the first night of Freshers Week I was feeling really homesick so made it an early night. Obviously a mistake because, from the next morning onwards they'd formed this tight clique which I'm always left out of. I didn't join any clubs or societies because every single one of them is sports-related. Everyone appears to be surrounded by loads of friends and I feel so left out.Over the past few months I've become so depressed as I don't have anyone in this place that I can turn to.

Anyone else going through a similar experience? Would help if there are people out there who I can relate to.

MEEEEEEEEEEE!
    I get on ok with my flatmates & neighbors, but a bunch of them have gone all 'cliquey'. I don't think it's that they intend to leave me out, but unless I'm there when they make plans, or happen to walk in the room just before they are going out, I wont get invited. They are all getting a house together now, and although I was asked, it was kind of halfhearted.

I made friends with some girls on my course; not the kind of friends I would have 'chosen' as we are all totally different but we get on really well and are looking for a house together next year! I basically learned that you can find the greatest people ever even when you wouldn't expect it (yes I'm rambling....) what I'm trying to say is don't give up yet! Try and make friends with people on your course; believe me it's not too late, I'm still making friends now :P

I just thought the halls I chose generally sucked; with only 6 to a room it's pretty damn quiet most of the time.

*hug*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiah)
    MEEEEEEEEEEE!
    I get on ok with my flatmates & neighbors, but a bunch of them have gone all 'cliquey'. I don't think it's that they intend to leave me out, but unless I'm there when they make plans, or happen to walk in the room just before they are going out, I wont get invited. They are all getting a house together now, and although I was asked, it was kind of halfhearted.

I made friends with some girls on my course; not the kind of friends I would have 'chosen' as we are all totally different but we get on really well and are looking for a house together next year! I basically learned that you can find the greatest people ever even when you wouldn't expect it (yes I'm rambling....) what I'm trying to say is don't give up yet! Try and make friends with people on your course; believe me it's not too late, I'm still making friends now :P

I just thought the halls I chose generally sucked; with only 6 to a room it's pretty damn quiet most of the time.

*hug*
    Hey, thanks for the advice, fingers crossed. I'm moving out in a few weeks thankfully. I don't have to endure another 4/5 months living beside three ugly overtanned blonde b*tches who ignore everyone else because they think they're above them.

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.