PC not WIFI enabled Watch

natalie_gs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by JayEm)
Ditto what aKarma said. Set up your wireless router and plug your desktop into it. You can connect wirelessly with your laptop at the same time.

Are you sure that would work ?
JayEm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Is it this router:
http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_fi...ter_wgr614.php

If so, yes it will work. Plug your cable connection into the WAN port, then plug your desktop into one of the ethernet ports. Set it all up and you should be able to connect wirelessly using your laptop at the same time.
aKarma
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by natalie_gs)
Yes, for any wireless router i've seen

You just need the wireless router and 2 ethernet cables.

Only bit you could go wrong is plugging the the WAN cable into the wrong plug, but its unlikely there are more than 5 to choose from and it will probably be clearly marked and be separate form the other sockets.
PinkPig
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, definitely. That's the whole point of a router. I rather assumed you'd already taken it out of the box.

Your set-up should then be:

Cable connection -> Virgin Modem -> Ethernet cable -> Wireless Router -> Ethernet Cable -> Desktop PC.

And the laptop PC will connect wirelessly to the wireless router.
natalie_gs
Rep:
?
(Original post by aKarma)
Yes, for any wireless router i've seen

You just need the wireless router and 2 ethernet cables.

Only bit you could go wrong is plugging the the WAN cable into the wrong plug, but its unlikely there are more than 5 to choose from and it will probably be clearly marked and be separate form the other sockets.
Okay, Just wondering will I need to run the installation CD on the PC? Since this will still be connected to the internet via Ethernet connection.
aKarma
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Okay, Just wondering will I need to run the installation CD on the PC? Since this will still be connected to the internet via Ethernet connection.
Try reading the quick start manual.

In your case its worth running the cd as they are made about as simple as humanly possible.

You'll also want to go into the router setup and put a password on the wireless so you may as well whip out the manual.
natalie_gs
Rep:
?
Try reading the quick start manual.

In your case its worth running the cd as they are made about as simple as humanly possible.

You'll also want to go into the router setup and put a password on the wireless so you may as well whip out the manual.

Yeah will do, the set-up guide is also telling me to take out the ethernet connection from the back of my PC. Which i don't want to do, as it will leave me with no internet connection on my PC. Should I just leave it in and carry on with everything else?
aKarma
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah will do, the set-up guide is also telling me to take out the ethernet connection from the back of my PC. Which i don't want to do, as it will leave me with no internet connection on my PC. Should I just leave it in and carry on with everything else?
lol

Just follow the guide. It's not like you cant plug in the cable again if you need the internet back
It's not trying to trick you, honest.
natalie_gs
Rep:
?
lol

Just follow the guide. It's not like you cant plug in the cable again if you need the internet back
It's not trying to trick you, honest.
:o: -it says " If your cable modem is connected to your PC, disconnect it. You no longer need this cable."

But I do need the cable.
xenodocheionology
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:o: -it says " If your cable modem is connected to your PC, disconnect it. You no longer need this cable."

But I do need the cable.
you plug it back in once its all installed

it just tells you to unplug it so that it can check it can connect wirelessly (at least thats what mine does)

once installation is finished plug in your ethernet cable and then setup a wireless network that you will connect to from your laptop.
aKarma
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

But I do need the cable.
Perhaps it is tricking you then...

More likely is those are instructions for setting up wireless. Or it's poorly worded and means that the cable that was plugged into your pc must now plug into the router. And another different cable between router and pc.
natalie_gs
Rep:
?
Perhaps it is tricking you then...

More likely is those are instructions for setting up wireless. Or it's poorly worded and means that the cable that was plugged into your pc must now plug into the router. And another different cable between router and pc.

yeah I am just going to contact virgin, and ask them.

thanks anyways
aKarma
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yeah I am just going to contact virgin, and ask them.

thanks anyways
This is about the most simple set up anyone could ever do. Though if you really need to call someone, feel free.
xenodocheionology
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lol it's realy not trying to trick you! I have to do this everytime I set up my router (which is all the time because I seem to have a family of idiots who mess up our internet ALL THE TIME)

Plug your router into the cable thing you mentioned before, then the ethernet into the router and the back of your actual PC. When it gets to the part of the installation that says unplug your ethernet cable unplug it [when it says you do not need this anymore, it means you do not need it if you are not planning to use the router as a wired connection. and as you are planning to do this, you do need it, its just really badly worded, don't worry about it]

Once the router is all installed, plug in the ethernet cable back into the modem and the pc.
Wait for the light to come on your router and you should be able to connect in exactly the same way as before.

You are now ready to set up your wireless connection from your laptop.
natalie_gs
Rep:
?
(Original post by xenodocheionology)
Lol it's realy not trying to trick you! I have to do this everytime I set up my router (which is all the time because I seem to have a family of idiots who mess up our internet ALL THE TIME)

Plug your router into the cable thing you mentioned before, then the ethernet into the router and the back of your actual PC. When it gets to the part of the installation that says unplug your ethernet cable unplug it [when it says you do not need this anymore, it means you do not need it if you are not planning to use the router as a wired connection. and as you are planning to do this, you do need it, its just really badly worded, don't worry about it]

Once the router is all installed, plug in the ethernet cable back into the modem and the pc.
Wait for the light to come on your router and you should be able to connect in exactly the same way as before.

You are now ready to set up your wireless connection from your laptop.

thank you so much! that made sense.
xenodocheionology
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
thank you so much! that made sense.
Lol thats okay if you need anymore help just ask :]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads