The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

WOW there's a hatfield thread?! Since when?

Hi I'm at hatfield, first year, if you have any questions etc PM me. I'm not a rah and I don't bite :p:

Echolife
Is all this hatfield hate because they turned you down. :rolleyes:

What else?! Not going to blow my own horn but....:h:

jobo3
The famous Hatfield College went to Rome to see the Pope,
And this is what he said – ‘**** OFF!’

Who the **** are Hatfield College?
And this is what he said – ‘**** OFF!’

And jobo, me and you are gonna have words. *scowls* I knooow where you live. Not far from me I believe. Lock your doors.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 22
isawsparks89

And jobo, me and you are gonna have words. *scowls* I knooow where you live. Not far from me I believe. Lock your doors.

Bring it :p:
jobo3
Bring it :p:

If the road down to your house wasn't so slippy, then I would. Oh hell I would.

*bitchslap* :p:

It's only cos you're jealous...:P
There does seem to be quite a high number of knobs in Hatfield, compared to other colleges.
Keith Lemon
There does seem to be quite a high number of knobs in Hatfield, compared to other colleges.

.........?

Oh this annoys me...you get nobs EVERYWHERE. Why does hatfield get the name for it?! Gah.
isawsparks89
.........?

Oh this annoys me...you get nobs EVERYWHERE. Why does hatfield get the name for it?! Gah.

Because they earned it.
Reply 27
isawsparks89
.........?

because we have to have somewhere to hate :yep:

(I know plenty of lovely Hatfielders :yep:)
Aula
because we have to have somewhere to hate :yep:

(I know plenty of lovely Hatfielders :yep:)

Am I one of them? *Sniff*
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Because they earned it.

Well I'm a cool hatfielder...so there.

(freshers: don't be put off, it's all harmless banter :P we're not that bad :P)
Reply 30
isawsparks89
Am I one of them? *Sniff*

:eyeball: what makes you think you might be one of them?

:p:
you are increasingly becoming one :yep:
Aula
:eyeball: what makes you think you might be one of them?

:p:
you are increasingly becoming one :yep:

:s-smilie: I'm hoping that 's a good thing....:frown:

Btw is soda bread sorta chewier than normal bread, and brownish? Cos I *think* I had it at the tutor meal tonight......it was nice :smile:
Reply 32
isawsparks89
:s-smilie: I'm hoping that 's a good thing....:frown:

Btw is soda bread sorta chewier than normal bread, and brownish? Cos I *think* I had it at the tutor meal tonight......it was nice :smile:

Sounds about right :yep:

and yes, 'tis a good thing.
(there is also a :tongue: smilie in between, but it seems to have chosen to hide for some reason...)
Aula
Sounds about right :yep:

and yes, 'tis a good thing.
(there is also a :tongue: smilie in between, but it seems to have chosen to hide for some reason...)

It was lush :biggrin: The meal in general was brilliant and my tutor was great to arrange it :biggrin: the only thing that was bad was the shoes that I couldn't walk in!! Arrrgh annoyinggg!
Reply 34
You had a meal with your tutor and all you got was bread (albeit fancy bread)? Great, proper hard up students then, I'll fit right in down there. Reminds me of the drinking bender which only left me and the flatmates with enough cash for pasta and kitkats, it was a fun week.

Now, while we take a temporary intermission about witch accusations, a serious question. What's the accomodation like at Hatfield? Y'see, I've seen private rent in Durham goes down to about £200 a month, which is a good whack less for a room than I'm paying right now. However, Hatfield are looking for over £350 a month, which seems a bit mad. How much of the college is in accomodation on site? Y'see, to avoid the kitkat incident again, I might go for the cheaper alternative, preserve the beer money.
0404343m
You had a meal with your tutor and all you got was bread (albeit fancy bread)? Great, proper hard up students then, I'll fit right in down there. Reminds me of the drinking bender which only left me and the flatmates with enough cash for pasta and kitkats, it was a fun week.

Now, while we take a temporary intermission about witch accusations, a serious question. What's the accomodation like at Hatfield? Y'see, I've seen private rent in Durham goes down to about £200 a month, which is a good whack less for a room than I'm paying right now. However, Hatfield are looking for over £350 a month, which seems a bit mad. How much of the college is in accomodation on site? Y'see, to avoid the kitkat incident again, I might go for the cheaper alternative, preserve the beer money.

Now, where were we? Ah yes, witches. I think, if we get some large scales, and a duck, we can sort this out. If you've not seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail, I make no apologies, as it is you who should be ashamed.

Haha, no we had bread and soup as the starter, then chicken (with swirly potatoes, no less!), then profiteroles. And a free glass of wine each (although, I don't drink - but unbelievably generous, all the same!)

Hmm..well...are you starting Durham from 1st year? In which case, everyone (I think?) stays in college, which is about 1400 per term. Personally, I'd go for accommodation in college first year, cos you'll meet more people and that'll make breaking it into college (if you get what I mean?) much easier, definitely :smile:

The furthest away is probably about 2-3mins walk away from the main eating halls. It's not far, honest, like just over a small bridge :smile: (it's about as far as the DSU to hatfield)

I don't really see why I'm a witch..nothing in this thread can possibly have provoked that sort of comment.
Reply 36
isawsparks89
Haha, no we had bread and soup as the starter, then chicken (with swirly potatoes, no less!), then profiteroles. And a free glass of wine each (although, I don't drink - but unbelievably generous, all the same!)

Hmm..well...are you starting Durham from 1st year? In which case, everyone (I think?) stays in college, which is about 1400 per term. Personally, I'd go for accommodation in college first year, cos you'll meet more people and that'll make breaking it into college (if you get what I mean?) much easier, definitely :smile:

The furthest away is probably about 2-3mins walk away from the main eating halls. It's not far, honest, like just over a small bridge :smile: (it's about as far as the DSU to hatfield)

I don't really see why I'm a witch..nothing in this thread can possibly have provoked that sort of comment.

Swirly potatoes? That is indeed witchcraft. None of my Asda Smartprice efforts have ever been that shape (although, they do have an odd tendancy to not look like potatoes either). By not drinking you don't understand my beer money dilemma. Gutted.

Wellll. Story is, it will be my first year at Durham and it is my first choice, however, I am a graduate who is off for a change of scenery, and Durham looked like a pleasant change from ye olde big city. (There is still some research funding issues to be ironed out, but I'm hoping that one goes without hiccups). As such, I'll be not that far off 23 when I arrive, so fitting in with the freshers is probably not all that high on my list anyway, and I didn't fancy Ustinov college much, the 100 or so grads attached to Hatfield looked like a decent compromise. I see Durham doesn't have a great deal of flats as such, so your accomodation could have you in with 5 other people, which sounds decent enough, and I've actually looked around the area of the History Dept, but I've no idea how close that is to the college itself. Anyway, the bigger issue is whether the college rooms are worth so much more than privately rented places- Im all for meeting new people, so I was considering the halls, but since theyre 50% more expensive, I'm not sure if its worth the extra outlay.

I have no idea where the witch thing came from either, but it seems like a decent bandwagon to jump on... :smile:
0404343m
Swirly potatoes? That is indeed witchcraft. None of my Asda Smartprice efforts have ever been that shape (although, they do have an odd tendancy to not look like potatoes either). By not drinking you don't understand my beer money dilemma. Gutted.

Wellll. Story is, it will be my first year at Durham and it is my first choice, however, I am a graduate who is off for a change of scenery, and Durham looked like a pleasant change from ye olde big city. (There is still some research funding issues to be ironed out, but I'm hoping that one goes without hiccups). As such, I'll be not that far off 23 when I arrive, so fitting in with the freshers is probably not all that high on my list anyway, and I didn't fancy Ustinov college much, the 100 or so grads attached to Hatfield looked like a decent compromise. I see Durham doesn't have a great deal of flats as such, so your accomodation could have you in with 5 other people, which sounds decent enough, and I've actually looked around the area of the History Dept, but I've no idea how close that is to the college itself. Anyway, the bigger issue is whether the college rooms are worth so much more than privately rented places- Im all for meeting new people, so I was considering the halls, but since theyre 50% more expensive, I'm not sure if its worth the extra outlay.

I have no idea where the witch thing came from either, but it seems like a decent bandwagon to jump on... :smile:

Please don't encourage him.

Hmm...I don't really know what to suggest :s-smilie: I've only been here a term so it's hard for me to say....:s-smilie: However, I've heard from my college grandma (who's actually doing a postgrad in history - not that that has ANY effect on where you live!) that it's better to stay in halls than the postgrad house thing - mind you, I think you'll find more postgrads in that postgrad house thing...so really, it's up to you. I'm sure someone could advise you better on this though, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 38
I suspect accusations of witchcraft may be what occur when you're nice to me on here.

postgradguy (do you have another name we can refer to you by? I don't want to type our your userthingy so I might call you pgg for now...)
Do you know the location of the Hatfield postgrad stuff? Also, are they catered or not? Plus remember that the extra will be including bills, but you probably wouldn't be paying that much for bills. (And there won't be much at 200 a month I suspect)
Umm... tbh you'd be fine living out somewhere. Most of Durham isn't too far away, and if it is too far there are busses
Reply 39
Hey hey, I'm Chris- username was simply because my old account on here went awol and my student number was a reasonably unique identifier. Anyhoo- I've heard some (but not all) postgrads are a short distance away in Palantine house, should they choose to stay in the college. Freshers 'usually' have to share, but this isnt the case for postgrads, as far as I'm aware. Anyway, at a scout around various websites, the rent is typically about 55-65 a week (I'm currently around 330 a month once I add on the bills for my room which is a shade less than the rate for a Hatfield Room, but still about £80 a month more than private lets). Not all that fussed about Catering- at Glasgow it was pretty dire, but there is the option of catering or not, as you so wish.

My flat here is about a 20min walk/ 1 mile from the department, so I'm not bothered about living on the doorstep of the place, difference with here and Durham is, I'm not sure whether the College atmosphere is a must-do sort of thing. At Glasgow there was obviously some pretty large student halls, but the amount staying at home or in private flats was pretty large, so it wasn't seen as the 'must do', in the way that I've been told staying in a College is. I mean, some of the flats I've seen have 8 bedrooms, which is unheard of up here, so I dare say I'll be in a position to meet folk regardless. I have a few friends in Newcastle, which isn't far away either. Not really up for a train into Durham most mornings though...

Oh, and cheers for your help folks!

Latest

Trending

Trending