Top 10 UK institutions by research income Watch

.ACS.
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How often do they modify research income? Is it solely with every new RAE?

It'll be interesting to see how the current top ten differ from the new top ten after the adjustments. Anyone have any ideas about big winners/losers?
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 2Pac best rapper ever!)
Leicester
It's in the top 20 I think.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 2Pac best rapper ever!)
Leicester
That's not one, not ten :p: Anyway, the top ten for this year has already been mentioned. All Russell Group unis, the largest research intensive unis. Leicester's a 1994 Group uni so probably 15 - 25 ish.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
Read all about it! 6th former in talk out of arse shocker...
will you marry me?

coke just came out of my nose - it was wonderful
0404343m
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The amount of government allocated per year is calculated based on the most recent RAE, but thats not where the majority of the cash comes from. The figures are announced and updated every year. The HEFCE from 08/09 show the top 10 in England are the top 12 in the UK, with Edinburgh and Glasgow in the overall top 10 directly behind Manchester.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
will you marry me?

coke just came out of my nose - it was wonderful
Sorry love, I don't 'do' drug addicts...

(I'm also engaged already)
timelordess
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
who gives a crap? and anyway you can't deny oxbridge is the best
Research income surely doesn't equal research quality?
Student#1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
"Income - £637m (Britain's first half-billion pound university)"

Manchester.
Saro_656
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
who gives a crap? and anyway you can't deny oxbridge is the best
are you actually just stupid?! of course you can.
stop being so ******* narrow minded.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 0404343m)
The amount of government allocated per year is calculated based on the most recent RAE, but thats not where the majority of the cash comes from. The figures are announced and updated every year. The HEFCE from 08/09 show the top 10 in England are the top 12 in the UK, with Edinburgh and Glasgow in the overall top 10 directly behind Manchester.
Well the amount of HEFCE/SFC funding is done that way, but all the other research councils have funding-call and responsive-mode grants and allocate DTAs based on total research income. At least that's how I understood when I was applying for grants.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sorry love, I don't 'do' drug addicts...

(I'm also engaged already)
fizzy pop silly

(and I only meant in a TSR sense - I haven't laughed that hard at a TSR post in a long long time)
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
fizzy pop silly

(and I only meant in a TSR sense - I haven't laughed that hard at a TSR post in a long long time)
Now I'm a business man I don't have time to piss around being nice... smart arse kids need putting in their place.

:cool:
0404343m
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Manchester's income is £637million, first University to pass £500million, however, compared to Oxbridge, which only have a combined 35,000 students, Manchester has 61,000. Glasgow and Edinburgh have a combined 44,000, and make a total of about £850m. Total income is completely different from research income though, at Glasgow, research is worth about 145m out of a 400m total.

And yes, research income doesn't equal quality, but as has been mentioned, what do we trust more- the company placing the contracts, or a panel on the RAE who decide what constitues a 4* piece of work. For me, the latter is just a bit too subjective, whereas you can't really argue with the contract incomes.
wholenewworld
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
WRONG - LSE is about 30th for research income

Why is that?
Baki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
ok does anyone else care?
That is besides the point. All that matters is the OP's desire to know the answer, as he is the one that posed the question.
Student#1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Manchester's income is £637million, first University to pass £500million, however, compared to Oxbridge, which only have a combined 35,000 students, Manchester has 61,000. Glasgow and Edinburgh have a combined 44,000, and make a total of about £850m. Total income is completely different from research income though, at Glasgow, research is worth about 145m out of a 400m total.

And yes, research income doesn't equal quality, but as has been mentioned, what do we trust more- the company placing the contracts, or a panel on the RAE who decide what constitues a 4* piece of work. For me, the latter is just a bit too subjective, whereas you can't really argue with the contract incomes.
Total research expenditure at the University has grown by around 48% from £269m in 2004/5 to 398m* in 2006/7.

They have aroun 34 000 , NOT 61 000
//Manchester.
Tech
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
historically, for scientific research, cambridge > all.

last few years, the divide (in terms of quality) is narrowing - imperial specifically is really catching up, and my dad thinks the research coming out of imperial in the last decade or so is so much better than the research coming out of anywhere else (again, for science).
0404343m
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Might've been 61,000 applications for places then, I stand corrected. However, what made me sure was I'm sure there was something recently about them surpassing the 40,000 mark in something. Since Glasgow has 19,000 with 5,000 part time students not normally listed, I thought something similar was the case for Manchester, where the part time students or adult learners swelled the numbers. I think 34,000 is an abnormally low figure, that must be from around the time of the merger- I'd be surprised if it wasn't the best part of 10,000 more than that now. I'm off now, but I'll do some digging later and find a figure.
Student#1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Might've been 61,000 applications for places then, I stand corrected. However, what made me sure was I'm sure there was something recently about them surpassing the 40,000 mark in something. Since Glasgow has 19,000 with 5,000 part time students not normally listed, I thought something similar was the case for Manchester, where the part time students or adult learners swelled the numbers. I think 34,000 is an abnormally low figure, that must be from around the time of the merger- I'd be surprised if it wasn't the best part of 10,000 more than that now. I'm off now, but I'll do some digging later and find a figure.
http://www.unistats.com/uniDetailsSt...30228075040953
The Boosh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Read all about it! 6th former in talk out of arse shocker...
:rofl:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (39)
27.66%
No - I got the required grades (84)
59.57%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (18)
12.77%

Watched Threads