Turn on thread page Beta

Laptop or PC? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    thats what external hdd's are for... unless they steal that as well.
    Yeah.....virtually no one seems to do that. Its the wise thing to do, but I still dont know anyone who does it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timetokill)
    Yeah.....virtually no one seems to do that. Its the wise thing to do, but I still dont know anyone who does it.
    I doubt people walk around with external HDD with them when they go out... and if the external HDD is in the same location as your laptop, that will also get stolen. So it defies the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timetokill)
    my whole laptops backed upto my external hdd. i've had huge problems in the past where i've lost literally everything. when i can be bothered to get my desktop working i'll probably back everything up onto there as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)
    I doubt people walk around with external HDD with them when they go out... and if the external HDD is in the same location as your laptop, that will also get stolen. So it defies the point.
    keep another external hdd with everything backed up onto it locked up in a drawer? this is starting to get expensive though.

there are various services which allow you to back up your whole computer over the internet. which may be more usefull. like this one http://www.carbonite.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    It also has a much lower desk footprint, meaning you can cram more books onto your desk :-P (perfect, I guess, If you are in tiny accomodation)
    i'm not sure on this one, a small keyboard and tft/lcd monitor is no different than an average laptop, and probably better than some of the 17" lappys.

ReputationRep:
    dont get a widescreen laptop unless you need it (e.g artist, coder) its a pain to lug around. and buy the expensive battery, you will need the life.

Nearly everyone on my course (applied computing) has a laptop and takes it to lectures. Other subjects, hardly anyone does. Dont be shy, once the first person starts using one others will

Netbooks are handy but i dont like em personally.

Wifi is essential. And get a big hdd and a flash key. Use the key for backups and transferring stuff.

laptops also save on precious desk space

im a software engineer so i got a 21" TFT screen in my room which i can hook my laptop up to if i need it

ReputationRep:
    Get a macbook

ReputationRep:
    actually ive seen quite a lot of people with macbooks

get one when you are at uni because you can get it from the Apple Higher Education store for a discount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdbennet)
    actually ive seen quite a lot of people with macbooks

get one when you are at uni because you can get it from the Apple Higher Education store for a discount.
    which makes them only slightly more expensive than a normal laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gamer91)
    But still massively better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rocknroll_lies)
    But still massively better!
    debatable, but this isn't really the thread to do it in.

ReputationRep:
    From someone who has owned one, let me say that apple laptops are about the same price as a similarly specced high end laptop e.g a sony VAIO.

Both the VAIO and the macbook are expensive though.

But the build quality is quite good.

ReputationRep:
    I think a laptop is better, I don't tend to take it out of my room, but just for transporting to and from home and stuff. I had a desktop when I came and I found it annoying. It stopped working and I have a laptop now instead and I find that better. Also means if the internet in my room isn't working I can take it to the library/main building and use wifi there.

ReputationRep:
    Laptop. I need it so I can take it to the library and get things from 4OD quickly, oh and... work. a little. It is generally so much easier to have a laptop, and takes up far less space, which will no doubt be at a premium in halls.

ReputationRep:
    Laptop. As said the mobility is great. Also if you want to run home for a weekend, maybe to get some washing and work done in peace and quiet, u can just pack a weekend bag and throw ur laptop case over ur a shoulder and run.

My buying tips:
    I would advise staying away from Sony & Mac unless money is not an issue, arguably the quality is good, but is it worth the £200 + premium you pay over similar spec laptops from other brands such as Acer? I can't justify it myself. Make sure it has a decent amount of RAM too, its more important than the processors in my view as even the lowest spec centrino is capable. 2gb of RAM is ideal, as Vista sucks memory dry, and with word, msn, facebook and itunes running you want everything to switch smoothly.

ReputationRep:
    even the lowest spec centrino is capable
    You know centrino doesnt actually mean anything right? Its a marketing term. A centrino2 branded laptop is a normal Core2 with an intel chipset and wifi. A centrino duo is the same with the original CoreDuo and the original centrino spec called for the same with a pentium M

and yeah most people have dells or acers
    seena few thinkpads.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.