PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ~Viola~)
    The best subjects are;
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics
    and some like English as well, see it as an advantage

If you will gdt better grades in Theology etc, do that, to get into a good uni. Then you can do a foundation year which many now offer.
    No

UCL, Imperial, KCL and many other universities discriminate against those doing Further Maths + Maths because they only count it as one A Level, not 2. It even says on their sites, that they prefer people to do subjects which are not all sceince as it shows good diversity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sohanshah)
    Have you even met Renal? He's much more ruthless in his posts. Go do your research.
    What has that got to do with anything?
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    (Original post by _lynx_)
    If you took 4 AS subjects and intended to drop one at A2, would you be disadvantaged in terms of youur application?
    Not at all. Infact if you drop it, you're probably likely to get a lower/better offer than if you had kept it.

e.g. You may have been asked for AAAB, but dropping it means you can then get AABa, AAAb offers, which are easier to get.
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Tom4510)
    Because if they don't want to listen to me, they can listen to him when he finds this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom4510)
    Not much, but I'm hoping he finds this thread seeing as he tends to get rather annoyed at the whole misconception that you MUST have Maths to A2 to even have a chance at Medicine :rolleyes:
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    (Original post by infinity123321)
    im sorry i forgot that people arnt allowed to give their opinions :mad:
    I never said that. All I said was don't tell people "facts" if you don't know the true facts yourself, which evidently you didn't.

No harm done.

ReputationRep:
    I never said that. All I said was don't tell people "facts" if you don't know the true facts yourself, which evidently you didn't.

No harm done.
    it was my personal opinion not a fact

ReputationRep:
    Because if they don't want to listen to me, they can listen to him when he finds this thread.
    LOL.

(Original post by Scaryhair)
    Not much, but I'm hoping he finds this thread seeing as he tends to get rather annoyed at the whole misconception that you MUST have Maths to A2 to even have a chance at Medicine
    Fair enough i guess. Its all already been said though, despite those who have found their information form god knows where. Next up they'll be saying having DofE is an essential part of the application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MicroPea)
    Would I be able to get into a decent university to study medicine if i've studied these subjects at A-level?
    Chemistry, Biology, Philosphy, Maths(AS)

Also, is maths vital for medicine? Should I take it as an A2 or will and AS suffice?
    The subjects are fine. Your level of common sense, however, wouldn't suffice for a medicine degree.

ReputationRep:
    yes there fine. Biology and Chemistry are pretty much vital, although you can get on some without biology, although i wouldnt suggest it. Maths isnt necessary, so only do it if you like it. Philosophy is fine too. Though check its not blacklisted. Just check uni or use the search thread forum, there are tonnes of threads like this. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    why should medicine offers always be AAB, with people scraping into medicine through clearing with ABBs - just insane. either they're not clever, or dont work hard - either way - not appropriate.

Or you know, like, they might be, eh, human.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Viola~)
    The best subjects are;
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics
    and some like English as well, see it as an advantage

If you will gdt better grades in Theology etc, do that, to get into a good uni. Then you can do a foundation year which many now offer.
    So Biology isn't that important? :confused:

I want to do either Architecture, Medicine or Law.

atm I'm thinking of : French, Maths, Chemistry, Art and English (AS)..

The french and English AS are enough for law, and art and maths is good for architecture.
    #However, in case I want to keep medicine as a back up, I'm thinking whether I should change french to Bio or not? Any advice??!
    Thanks ^_^
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OriginofSymmetry)
    Or you know, like, they might be, eh, human.
    they're obliged to work hard and meet their predicted grades (which would have been AAB+), and hence meet their offer. if they can't work hard for A2 exams, then i would imagine they're pretty screwed for medschool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    they're obliged to work hard and meet their predicted grades (which would have been AAB+), and hence meet their offer. if they can't work hard for A2 exams, then i would imagine they're pretty screwed for medschool.
    Illness/grievance/number of other reasons.

ReputationRep:
    ive always felt that way about getting AAA at alevel

why should medicine offers always be AAB, with people scraping into medicine through clearing with ABBs - just insane. either they're not clever, or dont work hard - either way - not appropriate.
    why shouldn't offers be AAB or ABB?
    There will many fine medics and Doctors who achieved precisely these grades?
    I found medicine to be rather a lot of hard work and indeed time consuming, rather something that required excessive "cleverness"

ReputationRep:
    ive always felt that way about getting AAA at alevel

I disagree with that mate, 4 years ago ABB was quite a common offer for med. In terms of someone with AAB/ABB not being clever; come on, does the fact that someone got a B, or 2 B's, in subjects when they're 18 going to affect the doctor they become? Unlikely. Also, and I don't mean this in a remotely condescending, patronising or sarcastic way, but as you're at Cambridge, I'm sure you'd agree, it's not blindly stereotyping to say you've always been a very high achiever and hence you perhaps see grades as more important than someone with AAB/ABB, (I got ABB so there's probably a slight bias in this post).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coren111)
    If you can't do Maths A2 you're not clever enough to be in a position where someone's life can depend solely on you.
    Try not to make ridiculous statements that even medical schools don't agree with. Only a few select colleges in Oxford and Cambridge specify maths at A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MicroPea)
    Would I be able to get into a decent university to study medicine if i've studied these subjects at A-level?
    Chemistry, Biology, Philosphy, Maths(AS)

Also, is maths vital for medicine? Should I take it as an A2 or will and AS suffice?
    1. All UK GMC approved medical schools are decent
    2. Yes, you could probably get into any med school with those subjects
    3. NO MATHS REQUIRED. MATHS IS NOT, I REPEAT, NOT required for entry to med school. GCSE maths (grade b I'm guessing) is all you need.
    4. If you looked at the websites/emailed the med schools you would find this out yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coren111)
    If you can't do Maths A2 you're not clever enough to be in a position where someone's life can depend solely on you.
    Or, if you can't do [English lit/history/xxx] you're not clever enough to be in this position because you're not an all rounder who can communicate and understand the human condition :rolleyes:

Not clever enough, or would rather do a different subject/be an all rounder?

What do you mean ''be clever enough''?
    Why would having maths A2 make you a better doctor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _lynx_)
    If you took 4 AS subjects and intended to drop one at A2, would you be disadvantaged in terms of youur application?
    By doing 3 A2s? Given that the offers are usually 3 A2s, erm no.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 30, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.