Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by getinthevan)
Oh God. You're back.
Yep. And only 19 days until I can next neg rep you. :top:
token
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Keysersoze311)
Well? People say it's stupid to believe in God.

But isn't it just as stupid to believe in other people? What reason do you have to believe that your friends and family are conscious?

Sure, you can see people, hear them speak. So what? I can see and hear characters in my dreams. And don't even try saying "Life is more vivid than a dream" don't insult my thread with such amateur musings.

So go on, somebody tell me why you believe that other people are conscious?

Things like "language" certainly don't prove that there are 6 billion human beings on a planet called earth. Language could just be a part of the mighty illusion.

Does anyone have anything useful to say?

Discuss
Unbelievably, I have been thinking the same thing.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This sounds so precocious but when I was around 7 I became convinced I didn't exist and it freaked me out. It was only until I heard the phrase 'I think therefore I am' at the age of 11 I got past this problem. It hit home with me and I was very thankful.

I have since had similar freakouts though that I possibly don't have a soul. Still convincing myself about this one in fact. ...
Fandellos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Rubbish. You could easily have free will, but exist in a reality with illusory characters, eg friends who weren't conscious.

Come on people, real points, yeh :top:
yeah this. you would have free will, but it would not amount to anything as nothing would exist beyond your consciousness.

(Original post by Flashphotographer)
It is highly impossible for one to survive alone.
is it? even if it is solely the consciousness, not a physical entity?
getinthevan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yep. And only 19 days until I can next neg rep you. :top:
Oooooh. You've got me counting the days in fear. Rep that doesn't affect me. However will I survive. :smokin:
kwalis
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You logic is flawed. You state you have no reason to believe other people exist, but then go about challenging them to prove they do.
If people don't exist then why talk about it and discuss it with other people?
clearly by you own admission you know at least something else exists rather than yourself. Why not follow the clear evidence of other people rather than go "sure, yeah i can see them, hear them, touch them, smell them, learn from them, use things they have built etc etc BUT wheres the PROOF?"

Let me pose are far more relevant question: Even if i can't prove their absolute existence are you going to carry on as if they exist? Of course you are, because it would be illogical to not do so.
I can't prove food exists absolutely but i bet that didn't stop you eating your dinner tonight!
Keysersoze311
Rep:
?
(Original post by tck)
If you presume that mankind does not really exist, then it would be pointless interacting with them: more fundamentally, you would already know everything there is to know.
What a useless point. "You would already know everything there is to know"? WHAT???!!!!

That does not follow at all. There could still be a whole load of stuff you didn't know, eg how old you are, who/what crated language. A million things.

Come on people, I want some stimulation.
Aesop
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Come on, get a grip. So what? All I've done is admit that there is a supposed difference between "dream consciousness" and "reality consciousness", qualitatively. It doesn't mean that they aren't both really dreams.

Come on people, less idiocy, more points.

:top:
Useless post. Refer now to my post on inductive reasoning and conclusions drawn. If your aim here is to simply state: 'we can't be sure of anything', good job. I think anyone who has spent 2 minutes thinking can recognise that.

If you're drawing parallels between our knowledge of other minds and our knowledge of God, namely that they are (exactly) the same, then you need to think a little harder.
Keysersoze311
Rep:
?
(Original post by kwalis)
You logic is flawed. You state you have no reason to believe other people exist, but then go about challenging them to prove they do.
If people don't exist then why talk about it and discuss it with other people?
clearly by you own admission you know at least something else exists rather than yourself. Why not follow the clear evidence of other people rather than go "sure, yeah i can see them, hear them, touch them, smell them, learn from them, use things they have built etc etc BUT wheres the PROOF?"

Let me pose are far more relevant question: Even if i can't prove their absolute existence are you going to carry on as if they exist? Of course you are, because it would be illogical to not do so.
I can't prove food exists absolutely but i bet that didn't stop you eating your dinner tonight!
Please. Don't muck up my thread, mate. I never said people weren't real, I said I had no proof that they were. Of course I'm gonna post it on a forum, my personal belief is that others are real, but I want a philosophical debate. I think this has the makings of a very interesting thread.

So many points can follow on from this fundamental question.
TEZKesquire
Report 9 years ago
solipsism is SO last century, darling...
Prettyinpunk1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I used to have a fear (not really a fear, duno what else to call it) when I was little that my whole life was a dream and I would wake up dead or unconscious or something... or that I was something I wasn't. But that's when I was little.
With life experience you would realise everything around you is real.
Also, you must be taking the piss
Keysersoze311
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dorito)
Let me ask you a question.

Does you exist?

Ye, think about that one.
That's a much easier one. I believe Descartes summarised it cogito ergo sum.
Chrisateen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by token)
Unbelievably, I have been thinking the same thing.
:ditto: I asked this question to myself before especially when I was a kid. Nearly all things are uncertain and have to rely on our senses/ epirical evdience to conclude whether other people exist.

Plus I hope people do exist or else.....
Gazule
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What other people?

Niajaboi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I assume the OP does philosophy..........:sigh:
zube
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
no
BillyMarsh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
None of you exist... You're just mere hallucinations in what I believe to be life.... :pierre:
Bluebeing
Report 9 years ago
I know I exist, so the question really is; do you exist? You've said you do know that you exist, therefore...
token
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Chrisateen)
:ditto: I asked this question to myself before especially when I was a kid. Nearly all things are uncertain and have to rely on our senses/ epirical evdience to conclude whether other people exist.

Plus I hope people do exist or else.....
Well, I exist so you must exist...unless you don't exist and just pulling my legs.
:hmmm:

I have a headache.
Keysersoze311
Rep:
?
(Original post by getinthevan)
Oooooh. You've got me counting the days in fear. Rep that doesn't affect me. However will I survive. :smokin:
It's the thought that counts. And why are you always ending up in my threads, stalker.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (77)
26.92%
No (209)
73.08%

Watched Threads