Gay couple vs Grandparents!!! Watch

zakiman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think the daily mail brought this up today??? They had it on their site around 11.00am...

Classic Mail story!
Azzrahelle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If the children have living parents or very close blood relatives, I think that the parents/relatives should have some say in the sort of couple that adopts the children. Not that I condone discrimination, but changing their religion or cultural environment or potentially influencing their sexuality is a huge life-altering factor(as if being adopted by strangers when you already have a family wasn't enough), which can only widen the gap between the children and their natural family.
Devel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Blátönn)
I hope they don't sodomise him.
Worst of all they may make them listen to Madonna and only wear pink.

:rolleyes:
Howells
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Azzrahelle)
If the children have living parents or very close blood relatives, I think that the parents/relatives should have some say in the sort of couple that adopts the children. Not that I condone discrimination, but changing their religion or cultural environment or potentially influencing their sexuality is a huge life-altering factor(as if being adopted by strangers when you already have a family wasn't enough), which can only widen the gap between the children and their natural family.
You what?
C2H5OH
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This sounds like a medical decision.

One would-be parent has presumably type 2 diabetes, the other has heart disease. Combine the health problems (which we don't even know the full extent of... for god's sake, one parent could be insulin-unresponsive and ****** with complications, and the other could have a BP of 220/140 and recently recovered from cardiac arrest, we just don't know! okay, I might have been worst-casing the potential situation A BIT, but still...) with the fact that when the child's 18 one of the parents will be 77 and you've got a very real - rising to possibly certain depending on the full medical situation - chance that one or both of the child's parents will be dead or unable to effectively care for them by the time he grows up. We honestly don't know enough to comment as it's probably a medical decision, and the sexuality of the couple adopting is completely irrelevant here.
Danielle89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Im gonna throw it into the mix that if the grandparents raised a daughter who was incapable of raising her own offspring, whats to say the underlying reason that the children were being put up for adoption was in case they turned out to be scum like their incapable mother?
And the couple are clearly racist, as has just been shown by their outrage - so would the kids be better off with a bigotted couple of old bad parents or would they be better to go to a couple who clearly want a kid, have been through the adoption process, and have shown to be suitable to be parents?

Just something to think about - I saw this article originally posted in a link to the daily mail. Could well be circumstances we're not told about but the above is certainly a possible scenario
bighairedmike
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Danielle89)
Im gonna throw it into the mix that if the grandparents raised a daughter who was incapable of raising her own offspring, whats to say the underlying reason that the children were being put up for adoption was in case they turned out to be scum like their incapable mother?
And the couple are clearly racist, as has just been shown by their outrage - so would the kids be better off with a bigotted couple of old bad parents or would they be better to go to a couple who clearly want a kid, have been through the adoption process, and have shown to be suitable to be parents?
Just something to think about - I saw this article originally posted in a link to the daily mail. Could well be circumstances we're not told about but the above is certainly a possible scenario

What has race got to do with homosexual adoption?

:eyeball:
sweatysketty93
Report 9 years ago
I don't think that gay people should be allowed to adopt because it's not natural at the end of the day, as it's traditional to have a mum and a dad. That baby should have gone with its grandparents.
snowfox
Report 9 years ago
The grandparents should have custody imo
Teao the Cat
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have nothing against gay adoption, and other than the little girl's mistrust of men, I don't think the sexuality should be brought into it, but the grandparents should have kept the children. My dad was 43 when I was born, and has suffered from quite a few serious medical problems, my stepmother is older again. They have made perfectly good parents, better than many I have seen. Age should not have come into it unless they were actually pretty much guaranteed to die in the next ten years.
tom//
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Devel)
There was no need at all to bring up the sexuality of who will adopt the couple.
from the herald ""There is an overwhelming body of evidence showing that same-sex relationships are inherently unstable and reduce the life expectancy of those involved."

http://www.theherald.co.uk/politics/...gay_couple.php
another interesting article: http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2004/apr/040428c.html

suppose there was

the thing that does it for me is that social workers are saying they want her best interests, yet she is afraid of men and wont have a female figure in her life
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are obviously two issues here, one of which is the question of whether the grandparents were too old. I think most of us agree that the answer is a resounding no - however, I'd be willing to accept the decision if the grandparents had undergone some kind of medical check. There are plenty of "older" people who are healthier than younger ones, and plenty that outlive them. So on this front the decision is complete madness, if only the age and nothing else was taken into account.

On the other hand, the other issue about gay or straight is a lot more controversial and I don't think the answer is as obvious as people are making out. It is not just "homophobic plain and simple" to not allow gay adoption. If I was concerned about how my grandchildren may be treated because of gay parents, that doesn't make me homophobic. That makes me phobic of other homophobics, if that makes sense. I would feel uncomfortable that there is a chance that their upbringing wouldn't be socially normal.

Whilst I agree that gay adoption is in principle perfectly acceptable, in practice I think it will take some time before children of gay parents will experience the same kind of life as those of heterosexual parents. Note here the point isn't necessarily that of sexuality (who cares if anyone is gay or straight). The point is emphasised by teh fact that we have two parents of the same gender, which can make a difference to the child in terms of how he is treated.

Ultimately, the crux of it is that it is SUCH a sensitive issue, and I find it completely abhorrent that the grandparents didn't even have a say in something so controversial, let alone be able to adopt the children themselves.
Lord Hysteria
Badges: 16
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Devel)
There was no need at all to bring up the sexuality of who will adopt the couple.
Lol!!

That is exactly what sells papers and makes threads of forums!
DisgruntledMoth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I doubt the media really take issue with them being "too old". This is another one of those "OMFG GAYS" things. There has to be something underlying-- too old to take on kids they don't know well enough/ likely to be involved with the parents drug use/ whatever. EDIT: It actually states in the article! "The grandfather, a farm worker, has angina and his wife is on medication for diabetes." The kids, around 5ish, are far too young to have the responsibility of very soon looking after the grandparents, when they obviously need care and love themselves.

Gay adoption is certainly acceptable, and the sooner people stop going "well, it's quite possible that they'll be picked on", the sooner it will become enough of a norm, and the sooner it will be accepted.
Forsaken
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
It's health problems as well: the grandparents didn't want to look after them until they found out that they'd be going to a gay couple.

'The grandparents agreed, as long as they could be assured that the adoptive parents would be a loving mother and father.'

It's all just homophobic nonsense really. I wish people would actually read the article and use a few critical thinking skills.

Ugghhh...that irritates me. I want to say "Remember that our grandparents generation are less "ok" with homosexuality" and then I remember that actually their average ages are the same as my parents.
(not that my parents are completely ok with it but eh, I know plenty of people their age who are)

They're not too old, I know of older parents personally, and ofc we all know about the ancient people getting IVF (probably reported in the same place this article comes from.)

And it doesn't actually matter what sexuality the adoptive parents are, except that the blood relations of the children did make a specification. I would imagine those who have the children's best interests in mind would be allowed to make any specification they like about the people who are going to be bringing them up...so whereas I dislike the fact that they specified a straight couple, the adoption service SHOULD have respected their wishes.
white_haired_wizard
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There must be good reason why the children aren't being taken in by grandparents or other family members.

I'm not sure about the gay couple issue. I've read very little about this, my limited understanding is that the parents are drug addicts and the grandparents have sufficent enough health complications to not be suitable enough for taking care of their grandchildren. Children are being (necessarily) taken away from their parents, but perhaps arguably they should have some role in who 'gets' their children - allowing some degree of compromise.

Meh
DominF
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What a biased article...
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sweatysketty93)
I don't think that gay people should be allowed to adopt because it's not natural at the end of the day, as it's traditional to have a mum and a dad. That baby should have gone with its grandparents.
On the contrary, homosexuality has been reported in lots of different species. That would suggest that it's 'natural' behaviour.

The internet on the other hand isn't that natural. I guess we have no problems with that though! Lets not forget fliying, driving, glasses, contact lenses and practically all day-to-day items we use. What a crap world we must live in if something can't be seen as 'unnatural'.

What have traditions got to do with anything? It's not bloody traditional to have your grandparents acting as parents, but you're overlooking that because of your opinion on gay adoption. The sexuality of the couple is irrelevant.

It's also not traditional to have single-parent families. One thing we have learnt about society is that traditions change. You can either like it or lump it, but it's not a reason for going all conservative on everybody.
Danielle89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bighairedmike)
What has race got to do with homosexual adoption?

:eyeball:
typo, sorry! homophobic was the word I was searching for.
bighairedmike
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just proves that that word is banded around too much nowadays.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (253)
27.23%
No (676)
72.77%

Watched Threads