Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not that easy to stalk, you have no idea what I look like.

I dunno...I'm guessing I'd be able to pick up on your rainbowy aura

ReputationRep:
    We'll see. :teeth:

Well, I'll just stalk all the pretty girls......

but dont worry I'll stalk you afterwards too, ehehehehe, sorry

ReputationRep:
    :puppyeyes:

Well.... I said "I'll just stalk all the pretty girls" ..so regardless of the time (e.g afterward) I stalk you, I'm still running under the assumtion that you're pretty.

*ahem*....this topic is strange.

ReputationRep:
    'A couple of threads down, there's one with all the offers/rejections pretty much up to date (I hope) for English, including York.

Linked for ease.

I'm hoping to go to one of the open days, it's just annoying they're all Wednesdays. I was pretty amazed with my offer, over the moon in fact. Why the ? I've noticed quite a few students seem to be a bit underwhelmed with York and I cannot work out why. Reputation fantastic. Reputation for English fantastic. Course interesting and flexible. A fair bit of coursework. Foreign language module. Nice city, traditional and picturesque (that seems to be a pre-requisite for some lit students). Apart from its concrete monster of a campus, I can't see where else it goes wrong.

That was a nice tirade from myself I think.'

hey ploop i just got my offer today and im well EXCITED, if not now a bit confused about where to go. I loved your summing up of it are yu thinking about going then? and what feature stands out for you the most? xxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Required grades: Unconditional AAA
    Reaction: Ecstatic but now concerned about the grades required
    Will you accept: Want to firm it depending on january results
    Going to open day: Went to the one yesterday (wed 4th) and loved it *sigh*

If I haven't got all As in my january modules it may be too risky to firm it... hmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishsummerrain1990)
    Required grades: Unconditional AAA
    Reaction: Ecstatic but now concerned about the grades required
    Will you accept: Want to firm it depending on january results
    Going to open day: Went to the one yesterday (wed 4th) and loved it *sigh*

If I haven't got all As in my january modules it may be too risky to firm it... hmm
    Wait so is it an unconditional or a conditional? If it's conditional then I'm in a similar situation...want to firm it but don't think I'll get the remaining A I need. I meant to go to that open day but changed my mind last minute...glad to hear it's nice!

ReputationRep:
    The course at York is wonderful. I strongly recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris#1)
    Wait so is it an unconditional or a conditional? If it's conditional then I'm in a similar situation...want to firm it but don't think I'll get the remaining A I need. I meant to go to that open day but changed my mind last minute...glad to hear it's nice!

Sorry meant conditional... oops :P

You're smarter than you think Mr Henson...

Its hannah by the way :P

I wanted us to go york together

love is in the air...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishsummerrain1990)
    Sorry meant conditional... oops :P

You're smarter than you think Mr Henson...

Its hannah by the way :P

I wanted us to go york together
    That was so creepy...I was so confused how you knew my surname before I read that second line! Haha. What a coincidence!

I know, I kind of regret not going now...especially since I did jack all on wednesday. I just didn't want to get my hopes up just to be shot down in August!

How were the other english students up there?? do you think you'll firm it?

This one's to the floor, do you think they might be lenient on people who miss out on an A by a few marks?...I realise that's probably a stupid question and expect a generic answer (depends on the intake, the candidate, the situation etc) but if there's anyone out there who has personal experience or knows any stories along the same lines that would be great.

Chris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris#1)
    This one's to the floor, do you think they might be lenient on people who miss out on an A by a few marks?...I realise that's probably a stupid question and expect a generic answer (depends on the intake, the candidate, the situation etc) but if there's anyone out there who has personal experience or knows any stories along the same lines that would be great.

Chris
    One of my best friends at York, who is also studying English with me, did just that. I'm not sure if its relevant but she does have a near flawless GCSE record. That could have been a factor, I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCule)
    One of my best friends at York, who is also studying English with me, did just that. I'm not sure if its relevant but she does have a near flawless GCSE record. That could have been a factor, I'm not sure.
    Thanks, the fact that they might consider me should I miss out on that A is some reassurance. My GCSE's are far from flawless but they are mostly A's so hopefully that would go for me if it comes down to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moroseblight)
    Required grades: Unconditional
    Reaction: Initially, thrilled. Bit unsure about how I feel now.
    Will you accept: Seems that way
    Going to open day: Sometime in March, hopefully
    bit of an old thread i know
    but was wondering what grades you were offering york?
    english and politics is what im waiting for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by berryfantastic)
    bit of an old thread i know
    but was wondering what grades you were offering york?
    english and politics is what im waiting for
    Heylo! Don't think anyone minds, so no worries. My grades are AAA.
    Waiting sucks, so I hope you receive good news really soon! :hugs:
    I heard they'd be sending off their replies before the end of the month - fingers crossed!

EDIT: Just noticed that you firmed Manchester. A friend of mine who did English there has nothing but praise for it Makes me kinda regret not applying there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moroseblight)
    Heylo! Don't think anyone minds, so no worries. My grades are AAA.
    Waiting sucks, so I hope you receive good news really soon! :hugs:
    I heard they'd be sending off their replies before the end of the month - fingers crossed!

EDIT: Just noticed that you firmed Manchester. A friend of mine who did English there has nothing but praise for it Makes me kinda regret not applying there.
    thanks hmm im predicted AABB so think maybe that im on the 'we're not quite sure if this person is good enough' pile
    and yeah I have, but have been considering york recently if they make me an offer, fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    Required grades: AAA
    Reaction: Very happy!
    Will you accept: I don't know...if I get an offer from St Andrews I'm going to have a tough decision...
    Going to open day: Went to one in October

Does anyone have any opinions on York vs. St Andrews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DizzyLizzy)
    Required grades: AAA
    Reaction: Very happy!
    Will you accept: I don't know...if I get an offer from St Andrews I'm going to have a tough decision...
    Going to open day: Went to one in October

Does anyone have any opinions on York vs. St Andrews?
    Since I'm in the same position, offer from York but waiting on St Andrews, I thought I'd give my opinion. They are very closely matched for English, and as Universities in general terms of academic achievement, so it's a tough decision! I shall be firming York, though, for the following reasons.

- Coming from London, St. Andrews is a fair way. Getting there and back would be a nightmare - costly and cumbersome, not to mention long!
    - The location of the Uni itself - it's quite isolated apparently, and although I don't really mind, University towns are nice, I like my city comforts in the same measure and there doesn't seem to be a great social scene -no clubs etc.
    - It seems to me to be a bit toffy, an intake of public school students almost on a par with Ox and Camb.
    - In Scotland = cold!
    - All of the above don't really bother me, they are just minor niggles that play on my mind. The thing that actually deterred me from considering St Andrews as a firm choice should I be offered a place was the fact that it's a 4 year course. Having already taken a gap year, I don't really want to extend my Undergrad any longer than necessary.

Have you visited St Andrews yet? Any insight? I'm still open-minded myself, having not actually been there, but harbouring pre-conceptions nonetheless.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2009
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.