What's it like in Canada? Watch

allthetime
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I lived in Ottawa for a couple of months and I loved being there. Its a really lovely place, just don't live in Vanier.
Creepy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by KirstyK)
5. Taxes. We pay far too much in taxes. In Ontario we pay 13% on top of all goods and services (like VAT except you pay it on top of the sticker price). Income tax kills you if you make over $70,000/year as well.
VAT is 15% (temporarily). That's just added to the price before we pay. The only difference in Canada is they add it afterwards.

I'd like to hear your good points though. 10 feet of snow sounds good
KirstyK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Creepy)
I'd like to hear your good points though. 10 feet of snow sounds good
No it doesn't. Looks pretty and all but that's about it. My driveway looks like a postcard or christmas card photo at the moment because it's tree lined and we have lights on posts that are covered with snow. But it's really a big pain in the behind to shovel. I shovelled three times yesterday! :mad: but my muscules will thank me

Good Things About Canada:
1. Canadians are passionate. Canadians are very passionate about things they love. They are willing to go the extra mile to make something happen and to support what they believe in.
2. Weather. Every other season but winter is glorious. Summertime temperatures soar to between 25C and 35C regularily. The sun comes out alot and it feels like you're living in Florida. Spring is nice and refreshing and the temperatures are manageable and autumn is heavenly as the leaves start to change colours and being to fall. It's glorious to go for nice drives and smell the leaves.
3. Multiculturalism. It's fantastic to be able to eat so many different types of food without really going too far. It's also refreshing to see respect for the different cultures and I rarely ever notice rascism or discrimination. Race and ethnicity does not impact people's judgements.
4. Hockey. This has to be one of the greatest things about Canada. Incredible game, incredible passion and a reason to actually go outside in the middle of winter!
5. Untouched Beauty. It's refreshing to be able to go places where it looks like no one has ever been. There is always something new to discover, something exciting to see.
6. Natural resources. We have a tonne of oil. After all we are America's largest supplier. We have diamonds, we have fresh water, we have fish stocks, we have lumber. We have just about every natural resource you can name in abundance. Thus our economy usually does pretty well.
7. We can hold our own. We are tough and able to defend ourselves when necessary. The Americans are ruefully forced to remember that we kicked them all the way back to the USA during the War of 1812 and burned their White House. So they better remember that when they go and try to question our Arctic Soverignty. We also killed things at Vimy Ridge, the Germans never saw it coming.
8. Low crime. Canada is extremely safe. Minimal crime and there is very few places where I would actually feel unsafe/threatened. Everyone does their own and you never really worry about crime.
Creepy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
4. Hockey. This has to be one of the greatest things about Canada. Incredible game, incredible passion and a reason to actually go outside in the middle of winter!
:love:

I'm going to Canada for 2 weeks on December 26th. I can't wait to play some outdoor hockey. Wooo!
djk_99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OP- Why would you want to move somewhere that you've never been to? So many people I know want to move to Canada, and the majority of them have never been there and have no idea what its like there. In addition, actually living somewhere is mighty different to visiting the place too. Moving is a big deal too, so I would suggest that you research it thoroughly before making this decision.

Lots of reasons. I'll explain.
1. The quality of education. This is nowhere near the level of education in Europe, or Asia for that matter. The quality of education and teaching methods greatly lack.
2. Healthcare system. Yes public healthcare is important. It's a flagship symbol of Canada. Problem? Lack of doctors, insane waiting times and to make matters worse it's often just as affordable and practical to drive to the USA to seek healthcare.
3. Government. I am getting sick of the number of elections held in this country because politicians seem to think that they have no need to cooperate and work together. Three federal elections in the last four years is a huge waste of tax payers' money.
4. Senate. Our appointed senate is a joke. Serious reforms are needed to make this an effective check in our political system. Individuals are appointed by the ruling party and can serve until 75 years of age with a guarenteed pay cheque even if they only show up once per year.
5. Taxes. We pay far too much in taxes. In Ontario we pay 13% on top of all goods and services (like VAT except you pay it on top of the sticker price). Income tax kills you if you make over $70,000/year as well.
6. Weather. I am not much of a fan of snow. At the moment there is a blizzard outside. I also have over 10 feet of snow in my driveway. This is not an exageration. And winter time generally lasts from Novemeber through to late March. Temperatures are usually -20C to -30C in the winter. I only live a short drive north of Toronto.
7. People. I've met friendly people. Canadians are often very stand-off -ish. Not exactly the warmest and most welcoming.
8. Culture. Although it is great to see such a mixture of culture, Canada doesn't really have it's own unique culture.

There are also many great things about living in Canada and I'd be happy to list them for you if you'd like. But personally for me the negatives outweight the positive when combined with my sense of adventure and love of travelling and experiencing new cultures.

I definitely agree with the majority of this list- the fact that you have to pay for healthcare pisses me off- in my opinion healthcare should be a basic right for anyone.
I also agree about the lack of education- I've been living in Canada and have moved back to the UK for my postgrad education having found that it is severaly lacking in Canada! It's a shame because I would have loved to have stayed (though possibly not in Victoria....)
I however do not agree that Canadians are unfriendly. I found them to be so nice!! I worked in customer services there, and found that they always found the time to say 'hi, how are you?', whereas people in England are just plain rude a lot of the time, and everyone is in too much of a rush to even look at you half the time. I am severaly missing the friendly people of Canada at the moment!!
Not Invented Yet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've always wanted to live in Canada ever since I can remember, so I can't really recall the original reason but now it's just one of those things I have to do. Pretty much everything on KirstyK's "good" list explains the reasons I think it'd be a good place to live! I hate that Britain is so small and overcrowded - for me it would be an amazing novelty to go somewhere really untouched where you can actually see the stars at night. Also the weather - I love snow and I think Canada's extremes of lots of snow in winter and lots of sun in summer would be brilliant.

The education system doesn't bother me, because I would have finished my education by the time I moved and I don't plan on having kids or anything. The health system is an annoying point though - I'll hate having to pay for it! :p:
KirstyK
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Haha. I'm glad I helped you in some roundabout way
Sorry for stealing your thread.
And with healthcare it's like the NHS but you also have medical insurance and such and your taxes pay for it once you become a landed immigrant/citizen.
HyperBrain
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
^ Thanks for your posts - I'm also thinking of moving to Canada haha.
KirstyK
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by HyperBrain)
^ Thanks for your posts - I'm also thinking of moving to Canada haha.
YOu're thinking about moving to Canada? :eek: no way! Why on earth would you do that?
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I want to go back to Canada
HyperBrain
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
YOu're thinking about moving to Canada? :eek: no way! Why on earth would you do that?
I've been thinking of emigrating for so long, and Canada is on my list, along with the USA, Australia, France, Berlin and Switzerland. But um, I'm not sure yet. I need to get away from Scotland!
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Not Invented Yet)
I've always wanted to live there (I plan to move there one day), but I really don't know that much about the place! It just makes me think of snow, wolves and bears... and people speaking French.

Please correct my misconceptions* and tell me what it's actually like!

*If they are misconceptions.
cold. really cold!
KirstyK
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by HyperBrain)
I've been thinking of emigrating for so long, and Canada is on my list, along with the USA, Australia, France, Berlin and Switzerland. But um, I'm not sure yet. I need to get away from Scotland!
:eek: Scotland is beautiful! I love Scotland! Why on earth do you want to leave?:eyeball:
HyperBrain
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:eek: Scotland is beautiful! I love Scotland! Why on earth do you want to leave?:eyeball:
Oh, so many reasons :p:
kenbellston
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
nice place to see blue sky, unlike UK.... nice place to drive fast, unlike UK... people speak in american accent, unlike UK.
zero_gravity
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Not Invented Yet)
I've always wanted to live there (I plan to move there one day), but I really don't know that much about the place! It just makes me think of snow, wolves and bears... and people speaking French.

Please correct my misconceptions* and tell me what it's actually like!

*If they are misconceptions.
Well...it is true that there are wolves, bears, people speaking in French, and snow. However, majority of the population in Canada speaks in English...so no worries. The only bilingual province in Canada that is fluent in both English and French would probably be New Brunswick.

There is lots of snow...depending on where you live. If you lived in Vancouver, there would be more rain...since it has a maritime climate...probably like UK. However, if you lived in Toronto or Montreal, there would be lots of snow and you'll probably break your back just shovelling piles and piles that seem endless at times. In Newfoundland, you'll probably get a lot of rain...since it has a maritime climate as well. In the prairies, it's really cold and the land is flat...so you can see places miles away.

The only place where you'll probably need French would be Quebec...since it is almost entirely Francophone. The people there might understand English...but their communication and interaction skills using English would be poor...so be prepared to bring someone who knows French with you. However, if you're in Montreal, I think you'll be fine...since many Anglophones reside there. :p:

Wolves and bears are usually in the Great North...or in the wild...so you wouldn't see them that often. It is located in the boreal forest...which would be located in Northwestern Canada. Therefore, if you live in those areas, bears and wolves would be a common sight.

Nevertheless, you'll want to check out the Rocky Mountains...since it is a beautiful sight...and lots of scenery. That is why I'd probably recommend you to stay in Vancouver. It is indeed full of nature...and you can snowboard or ski if you go up north to Whistler. It is a beautiful city...in my opinion.
gaijin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kenbellston)
nice place to see blue sky, unlike UK.... nice place to drive fast, unlike UK... people speak in american accent, unlike UK.
Erm...
bass_belle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lol i said to my dad today that i wanted to go to canada because they have amazing animals like mooses, and he said
"well so do we. Just go to Dereham. Not a single nice looking girl there"
i pissed myself laughing.
totally irrelevant but it made me laugh
Beckiemort
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by zero_Gravity91)
Nevertheless, you'll want to check out the Rocky Mountains...since it is a beautiful sight...and lots of scenery. That is why I'd probably recommend you to stay in Vancouver. It is indeed full of nature...and you can snowboard or ski if you go up north to Whistler. It is a beautiful city...in my opinion.
Definately agree with you there. I live in Vancouver and it is beautiful. What is particularly nice about here is that you can go to the beach and a only a few hours away is snow and mountains.

The Rockies are amazing, and if anyone has the opportunity I would suggest going to Banff National Park (It's in Alberta) for some of the most gorgeous landscape I have ever seen.
filastini
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Poutine :suith:
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (161)
18.51%
No (528)
60.69%
Not really bothered about them (181)
20.8%

Watched Threads