Turn on thread page Beta

Top 6 unis for undergrad finance/economics? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILIGAN)
    UCL shouldn't be in the elite league of Cambridge, Oxford, LSE and Warwick.

UCL is strong in economics but it's NOT in the league of the very best. You only go there when you're rejected at the ELITE 4 ECON -- Cambridge, Oxford, LSE and Warwick.

UCL is just as good as Durham, Notts, Bristol and the like. It's still good, but not very elite.
    I would say you only go to UCL or Warwick if you get rejected from the "ELITE 3 ECON" as you put it. But when it comes down deciding which is better: UCL or Warwick, they're pretty much equal. It's just down to personal preference really, last year I chose UCL over Warwick, but looking back, it may have been wiser to choose Warwick.

Also, UCL is usually ranked higher than Durham, Notts and Bristol and I've heard there's quite a significant drop off in recruitment for IB after the top 5 I specified earlier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J234)
    Also, UCL is usually ranked higher than Durham, Notts and Bristol and I've heard there's quite a significant drop off in recruitment for IB after the top 5 I specified earlier.

UCL isn't a target uni by top employers especially for IB or MC jobs. Only Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, and to some extent, Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    UCL isn't a target uni by top employers especially for IB or MC jobs. Only Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, and to some extent, Imperial.
    Why do you keep saying that UCL isn't targeted by MC firms... UCL certainly more heavily represented than Warwick (although the difference isn't significant) and as for IB, the most heavily targeted unis atm are Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial, followed by LSE, UCL and Warwick...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you would include UCL in the league of Cam, Ox, LSE and Warwick, then might as well include Durham, Notts, St Andrews, Bristol, Edinburgh, Manchester and a couple of red brinks as they are as prestigious as UCL.

In the UK, it' either you have a top 4 (Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Warwick) or you have a top 10 (Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, Notts, UCL, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Manchester).
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Honestly, how can you say that if you were to include UCL you would have to include a host of others which aren't even in the same league? The top five for economics in the UK are clearly LSE, Oxbridge, UCL/Warwick, with there being insignificant difference between the latter two (i.e.: UCL and Warwick).

Warwick is no better than UCL, and UCL is no better than Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Honestly, how can you say that if you were to include UCL you would have to include a host of others which aren't even in the same league? The top five for economics in the UK are clearly LSE, Oxbridge, UCL/Warwick, with there being insignificant difference between the latter two (i.e.: UCL and Warwick).

Warwick is no better than UCL, and UCL is no better than Warwick.
    yo dude you gonna go to soton or gap it if you dont get lse/warwick?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    yo dude you gonna go to soton or gap it if you dont get lse/warwick?
    TBH, I don't quite know yet. Kinda hoping it doesn't come to that.
    I guess it depends on how I feel when it comes to the decision. Soton isn't bad, but I would've much rather gone to one of my other five.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahana)
    LSE, Cambridge
    You should probabaly check the times online list
    http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...b=22&x=32&y=15
    Guardian says different:

Oxford
    Cambridge
    LSE
    Rest..........

Personally, I have always found The Guardian poles to be more accurate for some reason :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Given the number of people from Warwick I've met at IB FO interviews, I'd probably say that UCL are represented just as much, if not more than Warwick.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 6, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.