ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Ahem.
    No one cares. Except Scipio90 :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Helenia)
    The two places are relatively far apart (100 miles and 2 hours by car on a good day, 4 hours on the X5 otherwise) so doing anything together on a regular basis would be quite logistically difficult.
    4 hours? I didn't think they were that far apart...! Is there really no faster way to get from one to the other without driving? Train?

(Original post by StandingOnAir)
    4 hours? I didn't think they were that far apart...! Is there really no faster way to get from one to the other without driving? Train?
    2 and a half hours on the train

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the X5 takes the scenic route!

There is no direct train link, so you have to go via London to get between the two. If the connections all work out etc, it takes about 2½ hours, as Turdburger says. But it's considerably more expensive than either the X5 or driving.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Yeah, the X5 takes the scenic route!

There is no direct train link, so you have to go via London to get between the two. If the connections all work out etc, it takes about 2½ hours, as Turdburger says. But it's considerably more expensive than either the X5 or driving.
    Ouch. There go any plans to visit my boyfriend, then - I can't imagine many students have enough time to take two 4-hour trips in one weekend...

Although, do you know whether trains between Oxford and London get cheaper the further you book them in advance? I know the ones from Cambridge to London don't, so I'd imagine they'd make up a big part of the cost, but I'm wondering whether the blow could at least be softened by buying tickets early.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch. There go any plans to visit my boyfriend, then - I can't imagine many students have enough time to take two 4-hour trips in one weekend...

Although, do you know whether trains between Oxford and London get cheaper the further you book them in advance? I know the ones from Cambridge to London don't, so I'd imagine they'd make up a big part of the cost, but I'm wondering whether the blow could at least be softened by buying tickets early.
    Try it out on thetrainline.com or similar with different dates.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure. I rather suspect not, but the only times I've wanted to go to Oxford and not fancied the X5 have been since I've had a car. :o:

ReputationRep:

Possibly, but the train route is not very much quicker at all. The bus is not 4 hours! Its more like 3 and a half. The train route involves Cambridge - London Kings Cross, Kings Cross - (Paddington?), Paddington - Oxford. And basically if the seperate legs don't line up favourable it can be just as long! (as I discovered once when I desperately needed to get to Oxford in a hurry...) So say you saved an hour, even a cheaper pre-booked train ticket would probably not get as good as the price of the X5.( £7.50 single and I think £10 return.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Possibly, but the train route is not very much quicker at all. The bus is not 4 hours! Its more like 3 and a half. The train route involves Cambridge - London Kings Cross, Kings Cross - (Paddington?), Paddington - Oxford. And basically if the seperate legs don't line up favourable it can be just as long! (as I discovered once when I desperately needed to get to Oxford in a hurry...) So say you saved an hour, even a cheaper pre-booked train ticket would probably not get as good as the price of the X5.( £7.50 single and I think £10 return.)
    Yep, Paddington.

ReputationRep:
    Of course some have suggested travelling by airbus
    (Original post by Varsity Page 7)
    In 2006, flying an airship between the two cities was proposed, but estimates suggest the service would need 1,000 passengers a day to be profitable
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Ah, thanks. Three and a half hours sounds a lot less than four, oddly - I suppose it takes an hour off the round trip, which is decent. And that price is a lot more attractive.

It's a shame that rail link won't be ready till 2012, if it even goes ahead. Surely it would be a hit with the tourists, at least...

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.