1p Water Bill - Your suggestions, please. Watch

Creepy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
Oh they've not done anything wrong, technically. I do owe them money. But the point is they've already spent more than 1p chasing up the debt, which is just a complete failure of common sense. Why they couldn't just put the 1p on my next bill is beyond me...
You do realise it's probably all automated, right? Whilst it is rediculous, the software won't be programmed to detect when there is a rediculously small bill.

Sure, it's annoying, and it's pointless. But is it really worth your time trying to cost them more money?

Just pay the penny the way you normally would and get on with life.
toothache
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh they've not done anything wrong, technically. I do owe them money. But the point is they've already spent more than 1p chasing up the debt, which is just a complete failure of common sense. Why they couldn't just put the 1p on my next bill is beyond me...
But they are going to need your details as to invoice you for the charge. Yes 1p it may be, but they can't just say "Lets just leave it".

Also they will need your details for the future.
happy-and-lost
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That's almost as good as the 10 page document BT sent me thanking me and informing me of the fact that my switching to paper-free billing will save trees.
HCD
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The Daily Mail would love this, they'd go on about BONKERS BRITAIN and how it's beaurocracy GONE MAD. :woo: Jeremy Clarkson might mention it in whichever ****piece tabloid he writes for.

Don't bother inconveniencing them - you'll only cause trouble to other people whose fault it probably isn't. It's a large company, and no individual would have intentionally inconvenienced you. Poor buggers are only doing their jobs, they don't know what's going on. Their billing system adds up, and if it's a penny it's a penny. Just send the money. I don't see why you should cause them to needlessly waste time, money and resources. Yes, it's silly. It's the system. Get over it.
there's too much love
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by happy-and-lost)
That's almost as good as the 10 page document BT sent me thanking me and informing me of the fact that my switching to paper-free billing will save trees.
:rofl:
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Creepy)
You do realise it's probably all automated, right? Whilst it is rediculous, the software won't be programmed to detect when there is a rediculously small bill.

Sure, it's annoying, and it's pointless. But is it really worth your time trying to cost them more money?

Just pay the penny the way you normally would and get on with life.
Oh I'm fully aware that it's all automated. I'm asking why a "responsible" company as large as STW don't have a system to catch stupid debts like this. It's wasteful, costly and inconvenient for me as I'm probably going to have to go to the Post Office to pay the ruddy thing. So if I'm going to be inconvenienced, I might as well inconvenience STW as much as possible too, both in terms of tying up manpower and hurting their bottom line.
BlackpoolCraig
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
send a pound, along with the bill to the most senior office they have.

Enclose an SAE and ask that they send you the change.
punktopia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by HCD)
The Daily Mail would love this, they'd go on about BONKERS BRITAIN and how it's beaurocracy GONE MAD. :woo: Jeremy Clarkson might mention it in whichever ****piece tabloid he writes for.

Don't bother inconveniencing them - you'll only cause trouble to other people whose fault it probably isn't. It's a large company, and no individual would have intentionally inconvenienced you. Poor buggers are only doing their jobs, they don't know what's going on. Their billing system adds up, and if it's a penny it's a penny. Just send the money. I don't see why you should cause them to needlessly waste time, money and resources. Yes, it's silly. It's the system. Get over it.
Why get over it when you can make trouble for the system? It's much more fun.
Creepy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's wasteful, costly and inconvenient for me as I'm probably going to have to go to the Post Office to pay the ruddy thing. So if I'm going to be inconvenienced, I might as well inconvenience STW as much as possible too, both in terms of tying up manpower and hurting their bottom line.
Maybe it doesn't happen enough to warrant changing their systems. I think overseeing it as a minor mistake and not wasting your time on an internet forum trying to think up of ways to inconvenience a company would be much more productive.

Surely if you're 'hurting their bottom line' all you're going to do is bump up prices anyway?

Maybe next time it will cost you 2p :rofl:
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Maybe it doesn't happen enough to warrant changing their systems. I think overseeing it as a minor mistake and not wasting your time on an internet forum trying to think up of ways to inconvenience a company would be much more productive.

Surely if you're 'hurting their bottom line' all you're going to do is bump up prices anyway?

Maybe next time it will cost you 2p :rofl:
I'll be honest, Ive got nothing better to do. The Devil makes work for idle hands :p:
Creepy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'll be honest, Ive got nothing better to do. The Devil makes work for idle hands :p:
I hated customers like you when I worked with consumers. :sigh:
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
I hated customers like you when I worked with consumers. :sigh:
Its customers like I am now, that have made me into this hateful, cynical, heartless person that I am today :p:

2 Years of call centre work does that to people.
Captain Biggles
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
Send a cheque but don't put a postage stamp on the letter? That way I think they have to pay the cost of the postage and dealing with cheques is quite expensive in terms of administration.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by azhao)
Complain to ofcom.
Er...surely Ofwat?
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by azhao)
Complain to ofcom.

Urm, Ofcom stands for 'The Office of Communications', ie, it's for complaining about the media.
You should really know what you're talking about before you advise...
The OP needs Ofwat, though I'd advise him not to bother complaining because it's pointless and a bill is a bill, irregardless of the amount. The bill's most probably automated, so it's down to a computer and the computer doesn't distinguish between a small debt and a large debt.
pf1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Captain Biggles)
Send a cheque but don't put a postage stamp on the letter? That way I think they have to pay the cost of the postage and dealing with cheques is quite expensive in terms of administration.
That was going to be my suggestion. Not sure if they can charge you for the insufficient postage though.

I once got a bill from BT for £0.01. I wrote to them to ask if I could pay it in instalments because I didn't think I could afford it all at once.
azhao
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
Urm, Ofcom stands for 'The Office of Communications', ie, it's for complaining about the media.
You should really know what you're talking about before you advise...
The OP needs Ofwat, though I'd advise him not to bother complaining because it's pointless and a bill is a bill, irregardless of the amount. The bill's most probably automated, so it's down to a computer and the computer doesn't distinguish between a small debt and a large debt.
First of all I was joking, but meh it all boils down to ofcom eventually. To all intents and purposes Severn Trent Contacted the op.
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by azhao)
First of all I was joking, but meh it all boils down to ofcom eventually. To all intents and purposes Severn Trent Contacted the op.

No it doesn't.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
haha. Once HSBC sent my Dad a cheque for 1p of interest after he closed his account there. It had been signed by 2 people, and was sent in a special envelope, 1st class, and came with a letter that was also singed twice. So all in all we reckon it must have cost them about £5 to do it all :p: We just kept the cheque and it's on my Dad's office wall now
Touche
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had a bill for 1p from 3 mobile. Just didn't bother paying it and it disappeared
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (153)
27.42%
No (405)
72.58%

Watched Threads