Are A2's MUCH harder ? Watch

hunty91
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd say there's less to learn, but the actual material is harder. Obviously, it depends which subject.
rachxl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
tbh, it would be pretty stupid if they stayed the same level, so they obviously do get harder. However, I wouldn't know to what extent they increase in difficulty, as I'm only doing AS... can't really judge..
FireDeuce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For some reason GCSE to AS didn't bother me at all, but A2s were harder. I found I couldn't cruise quite so much, or the stuff wasn't so much common sense, as actual theories etc.
eleanor!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i didn't find it much harder, and i did four a levels and got four a's. but i did french, theatre studies, english lit and art, which are probably less difficult/ exam heavy than your subjects!
Montarnna
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think the content is much harder, but the exams are a lot more marks each (same UMS as AS), and are longer too
-WhySoSerious?
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In a word: Yes.
Clementine_x
Report 9 years ago
I didn't even notice the step up from GCSE to AS but from AS to A2 I definitely have! French is just impossible at A2. Economics is a lot harder at A2, I didn't work that hard to get an A in it last year but I'm struggling this year. And psychology, the essays are a bit harder and the exams are just meaner lol but it's still easily understandable.
I need AAB to get into uni this year, and I achieved that at AS but really worried that I'm not going to keep that up at A2
LdnShmoo
Report 9 years ago
The gap between GCSE and AS is waaaay bigger, especially if you're doing languages.
(which you're not so thats not really relevant).
But yeah, A2s are harder, but not massivly. I've found its not really the content thats harder, but the way the exams are set out. Also, because their harder it makes any AS retakes look really easyy
Westernnimbus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Geokitty)
:eek: I've just read on another post that A2's are a huge step up from AS, and are much, MUCH harder.
I think that the step up from GCSEs to AS is pretty hard (I'm doing Chemistry, Maths, Physics & Geography).
Now I'm really worried, as one of my teachers said that you get better and better throughout the two years, so I thought that meant that I would find A2 easier!
All you who are now doing A2s, what do you think. Is it much harder work than last year ?:eek:
For me, Maths and Physics jump was much bigger for AS-A2 than it GCSE-AS.

Don't worry though, at the start everyone is worried, but you adapt.
I felt overwhelmed at times but you just work harder, and get used to it.

For example (bearing in mind WJEC is a hard syllabus for Physics) in our last unit, there was upwards of 50 equations, and thats just the maths nevermind the explanation work! (we are last year not to get formula book aswell :mad: I don't mind though Im doing physics at uni, have to learn them by heart sooner or later.)
Moronic Acid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Geokitty)
:eek: I've just read on another post that A2's are a huge step up from AS, and are much, MUCH harder.
I think that the step up from GCSEs to AS is pretty hard (I'm doing Chemistry, Maths, Physics & Geography).
Now I'm really worried, as one of my teachers said that you get better and better throughout the two years, so I thought that meant that I would find A2 easier!
All you who are now doing A2s, what do you think. Is it much harder work than last year ?:eek:
Honestly - not even a little bit

I actually found AS easier than GSCE though, so if you found that jump quite big then you may find A2 a little harder
ToryGirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They aren't that much harder, but you do need to know more and so from that respect its more demanding and you need to put more work in.
necessarily benevolent
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did notice a sudden shift when I was doing my History AS-A2. A much greater focus on independent learning and research (of course). I remember AS pretty much revolving around being spoonfed. For my other A levels I'm not noticing that much of a difference. Although that's probably because I was quite slack last year compared to this (where I'm busting my gut to get three As).

And I've just realised it's my birthday. :woo:
Moronic Acid
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by necessarily benevolent)
I did notice a sudden shift when I was doing my History AS-A2. A much greater focus on independent learning and research (of course). I remember AS pretty much revolving around being spoonfed. For my other A levels I'm not noticing that much of a difference. Although that's probably because I was quite slack last year compared to this (where I'm busting my gut to get three As).

And I've just realised it's my birthday. :woo:
:cake: :birthday: :cake:

necessarily benevolent
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Adhavan)
:cake: :birthday: :cake:

:blush:
User188463
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
not for me really... Should get my 3 As.
although I am not getting my head around modern Russian history...
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Theoretically, yes; the specification is somewhat more rigorous. In practice, however, I maintained 'A' grades in two of my three subjects with no effort whatsoever, and fell short of that in the third by a single mark. So, make of this what you will.
KyriakosCy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not that hard, if you study then nothing is hard.

In my country, i had 3 ALs(AAA) at the age of 16 and i found them ok, because i study regurarly.

Good luck!
Amesy200
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yeh you wont be able to do them
*sparkles*
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think it's a huge step... although I find Chemistry more of a jump. The work gets harder (obviously) but you have worked up to it.
TomLeigh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Jump for maths: pretty big. C3/4 are a lot harder than C1/2 but if you managed good grades in the former than you should be fine in the latter.
Chemistry: not much harder imo, as you're doing maths, the calculations should be a breeze, and it's just learning some more mechanisms which are very similar to the AS ones.
Can't speak for the other subjects though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (154)
27.55%
No (405)
72.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise