The media is a propaganda machine. Discuss Watch

illusione
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Considering how enamoured you are with Chomsky, I don't think you can claim your views are any more independent. You are buying in to an ideology as much as the rest of us are, it just happens to be a different one. Chomsky’s agenda may be anarchic, but it’s still an agenda.
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The media CAN be used as a propaganda machine, it is not automatically such. Naturally there tends to be systemic bias, but that can be enhanced and twisted with intention. To call all media "propaganda" is a little naive and churlish.
shamrock92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by silentrevolution)
I live quite easily without the corporate media.

The media limits the way we view the world, and instead of giving enriching concepts to have a fulfilled life, it limits our field of vision. Almost everything presented has such a narrow scope of possibility.

It is the media that makes things rigid.
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. The point isn't that the media should be abandoned - in fact, Herman and Chomsky have both recommended alternative media forms - but that it should be reformed in the interests of the population.
silentrevolution
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by shamrock92)
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. The point isn't that the media should be abandoned - in fact, Herman and Chomsky have both recommended alternative media forms - but that it should be reformed in the interests of the population.
I should have mentioned that by 'media' i meant the corporate media
shamrock92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by silentrevolution)
I should have mentioned that by 'media' i meant the corporate media
Yes; you should have.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (301)
26.06%
Yes - they're famous (293)
25.37%
No I don't (561)
48.57%

Watched Threads