Turn on thread page Beta

Convince me that relationships aren't a complete waste of time at my age watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Get a job, then you can get some pussy.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want one, then don't get one.

Relationships change a lot between 17 years and, e.g., 25 years. I'd imagine, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    They are.

ReputationRep:
    Well, at your age, they mostly are. The sex is fun, but relationship and especially "love" at that age is more or less hilarious idiocy.

So, just stay in for the sex and keep the ******** in rein. Eventually, you may change your mind as years go on. (from personal experience, for the next 5 years, it's not happening. But you start finding some girls who are in for the fun and don't want the ******** too, so things get better)

ReputationRep:
    I'll give you a story :p:

I met my boyfriend in -sigh- McDonalds and we were together for only 2 months, when my mum decided she hated him, and that i had to dump him. At this time is was 17, so i was like what? No. Im 17 and i will be with who i want, he was lovely to her, and he isnt bad or criminal or anything, anyway, she threw me out because i wouldnt dump him.She caused so much trouble for us, and he didnt get scared and run off His mum took me under her wing, and now im like part of their family, i dont live with them, i got back on my feet, and i live by myself We have been together for almost 2 years now :p: and i love him more than ever We argue, but whats the fun in a relationship without it? I havent seen my mum for over a year, and i miss her, but i wouldnt change what happened for the world, I love my boyfriend so much
    I know most young relationships dont last, but i'd like to hope this one does

:party:

Sorry if i made anyone want to barf

I think they're a waste of time at this age.

ReputationRep:
    reason: you'll get nooky :hubba:

ReputationRep:
    I also dont mind paying for things instead of him paying, i play xbox with him, and i kick butt on gears of war :p: AND i bought him a Wii for xmas :p: Im sure he will tell you why relationships can be good lol

ReputationRep:
    They are a waste of time untill u meet the right person but in order to find the right person you need to have relationships...

ReputationRep:
    They aren't a waste of time now, because as you fall into different relationships, whether they last or not, bad or good, they all develop you as a person, and sooner or later, you'll find the right person for you

When that happens, you won't have to try to make conversation with them, because conversation just feels natural and its not forced

I've been with my boyfriend almost two years now and I couldn't be happier

ReputationRep:
    At 17? They almost certainly are; but the experience will hold you in good stead for those that potentially aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykiie)
    I'll give you a story :p:

I met my boyfriend in -sigh- McDonalds and we were together for only 2 months, when my mum decided she hated him, and that i had to dump him. At this time is was 17, so i was like what? No. Im 17 and i will be with who i want, he was lovely to her, and he isnt bad or criminal or anything, anyway, she threw me out because i wouldnt dump him. She threatened to kill him -seriously- and he stuck with me She caused so much trouble for us, and he didnt get scared and run off His mum took me under her wing, and now im like part of their family, i dont live with them, i got back on my feet, and i live by myself We have been together for almost 2 years now :p: and i love him more than ever We argue, but whats the fun in a relationship without it? I havent seen my mum for over a year, and i miss her, but i wouldnt change what happened for the world, I love my boyfriend so much
    I know most young relationships dont last, but i'd like to hope this one does

:party:

Sorry if i made anyone want to barf
    Barf, no, slightly jealous though :p:
    You've sacrificed a lot for your relationship, thats really brave :yep:
    I hope it works out for you
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicky507)
    Barf, no, slightly jealous though :p:
    You've sacrificed a lot for your relationship, thats really brave :yep:
    I hope it works out for you
    x
    Thankyou

x

ReputationRep:
    I can't do that. They are a waste of time at that age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    Go on, cos all the relationships I've had seem to be a fat bloody waste of time and all the girls ever seem to want is money which I dont have to spend on taking them out and don't seem interested in conversation at all. In fact I can never work out what they hell they do want, or what the hell Im supposed to be getting out of any relationship really :o:
    At your age? TBH, how mature can you be at 17? I'm not talking about you, however most people aren't that mature tbh. Then again the extra year to 18 isn't that big a shift either. I personally didn't feel mature till 20! That may just be me though :P

You're 17. Come on, this is the time to have casual relationships and one-night stands.
    You can go for relationships when you get old. Live a little!

I think they are, though. That's because most relationships at this age are based on raging hormones rather than pure feelings. Once the hormones die down and there's nothing left, then there wasn't much point in having that relationship imo - feeling low over a relationship that never really was, is a complete waste of time. I'm the type of person that would really try to learn as much as I could of a person's character before going out with them, to judge whether it's worth getting into a relationship or not. As a consequence I have liked a few people yet only been out with one, and I am much happier than a lot of my friends who rush into relationships without second thought and get hurt badly.

I understand what you're saying, but all my friends seem to be in good relationships and I just sort of sit there thinking "I want some of that intimacy, to feel what it's actually like to fall in love with somebody". God I sound like such a bloody romantic :p:
    You sound like me: sometimes I've wondered if I'm of too 'romantic' a disposition for my own good. Try not to worry about it, something'll come along - we're too good to be ignored for long .

ReputationRep:
    My god...reading some of these posts I feel almost bad that I don't actually want to lose my virginity just yet. Is it really bad to not want that at 17? I'm not one of those who wants to wait for marriage but I do sort of want it to be with someone I actually really like and want to be with. Maybe Im just weird :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I understand what you're saying, but all my friends seem to be in good relationships and I just sort of sit there thinking "I want some of that intimacy, to feel what it's actually like to fall in love with somebody". God I sound like such a bloody romantic :p:
    We can't all find the right person for us at the same time... most of my friends are in really good relationships and I feel exactly as you do... But I just go on being happy for them and knowing that at some point I will be in a similar relationship.... just try not to look for it though.... because you'll search in vain for most of the time... it's one of those things: it finds you, you don't find it...

P.S. romantic is good.. you've got an advantage over other guys trust me :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2009
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.