Blood Donation Problem Watch

Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
GTN spray.

To be honest, if you have **** veins I wouldn't bother, it just makes it more unpleasant for you. In extremis you could use veins in your feet, ankles or groin, but I wouldn't want to be playing around with those just for blood donation.
Morbo
Badges: 16
Report 9 years ago
A few things to improve your vein visibility (some of which people have already said):

1) Make sure you're well-hydrated. Drink a pint or two of water before you go to donate (but not so much that you will desperately need the loo whilst hooked up!)
2) Stay warm on the way to the session - wear lots of layers. If you're cold, your body will close blood vessels near the surface.
3) Get a stress ball, or something that exercises your forearms and do a few reps to make your veins stand out.

If this doesn't work, aside from going in through the groin, I'm not sure there's much you can do.
Enchanté
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Some people just have hard veins to find. I see it all the time on people who have to give blood samples on placement.
They couldn't find my vein to begin either, well they did just couldn't get any blood. :o: Apparently I wasn't relaxing my arm enough because I was scared due to it being my first time.
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Enchanté)
Apparently I wasn't relaxing my arm enough because I was scared due to it being my first time.
********. Relaxing your arm decreases blood flow to the arm and decreases venous tension.
whitepearlbaby
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Woohoo, I went today!
Enchanté
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
********. Relaxing your arm decreases blood flow to the arm and decreases venous tension.
Well that's what the person said who was doing it to me. :teeth:
I think...
Drayshak
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Got a letter the other day from the NHS telling me to try again in a couple of years... :confused: Guess I can't argue with that :yes:
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (135)
18.42%
No (445)
60.71%
Not really bothered about them (153)
20.87%

Watched Threads