Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's now 00:30 here and I'm doing an essay (only 2000 words though) for my 8 o'clock class tomorrow. And I'm only doing IB at some *****y public school (the continental sense of public, meaning state owned).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    I have to get loads of books from the stacks because some theology texts are quite specific and there aren't many copies. OLIS is not that bad...you can learn to adopt it as your new friend...

OMG you must go to the bod at some point, esp the old bod and the upper part of the rad cam. Amazing places to work.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I really do have to go, but it's such a terrifying prospect- I missed the tours because of other college bits that clashed; I wouldn't know where to go when I got there. *must try to arrange tour before 8th week is out*

ReputationRep:
    ouch, sounds nasty. and here's me sitting up late trying to do an essay just to get me IN to Oxford.

I think I'll just go to bed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    are u at magdalen? What are you doing?
    yup. check your PMs

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody

Just thought I'd warn you lot about the heaviness of the workload at Oxford; it is absolutely unbelievable, so make sure you know what you're getting yourselves into...

I rang a friend of mine last week at an unnamed university and she was stressing because she has to read two books for next month. I have two 2500-3000 word essays due in every week on really stretching topics and for each one there is so much reading involved my eyes are ceasing to work properly. On top of that I have sheets of logic problems to work through AND have to lead a relatively sane life.

I think a lot of people apply without realising just how heavy the workload is, so make sure you're aware. It is absolutely essential to be dedicated to your subject otherwise you will scream with frustration on a regular basis and swear to burn down every library in the city before you've even matriculated.

Not to put you off or anything, of course.

I think I'm going slightly mad....

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    This may seem strange, but the first year will be the hardest (IF you do actually work through it, as you're doing). The 3rd year may turn out more stressful (especially if you're on the borderline i.e. 1st/2:1, or 2:1/2:2) however is actually rather easy otherwise. When you're there, writing an essay will take absolutely no time, you'll need less reading/writing time. A matter of a few hours really. So, just battle through it, it will get a hell of a lot easier later on, as you reap the rewards of your present hard work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    This may seem strange, but the first year will be the hardest (IF you do actually work through it, as you're doing). The 3rd year may turn out more stressful (especially if you're on the borderline i.e. 1st/2:1, or 2:1/2:2) however is actually rather easy otherwise. When you're there, writing an essay will take absolutely no time, you'll need less reading/writing time. A matter of a few hours really. So, just battle through it, it will get a hell of a lot easier later on, as you reap the rewards of your present hard work.
    You forgot the 'J.S' at the end.

ReputationRep:
    Because loads of people get suicidal due to the pressures of work and the Oxford lifestyle in general, and I completely understand why.

ProPlus is required for all-night essay-writing sessions.

x-x-x-x-x-xx-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x--x-x
    It's approaching 4am, I have a ton of stuff to get out of the way before I can start academic work (I do one 4000 word essay a week), won't have any time to sleep tonight, usually do 3 all-niters a week, otherwise 20 hour days, fuelled by a lot of Red Bull. I'm constantly busy, don't waste much time, still literally don't have time to sleep.

Oxford rules

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    It's approaching 4am, I have a ton of stuff to get out of the way before I can start academic work (I do one 4000 word essay a week), won't have any time to sleep tonight, usually do 3 all-niters a week, otherwise 20 hour days, fuelled by a lot of Red Bull. I'm constantly busy, don't waste much time, still literally don't have time to sleep.

Oxford rules
    Lol yup!!!

Remind me why I'm doing this? More to the point, why am I rowing in 2 hours?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    Lol yup!!!

Remind me why I'm doing this? More to the point, why am I rowing in 2 hours?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    How's things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    How's things?
    OMG, erm, I am slightly less mad than I was before I guess. But I am still up at 4am and that's saying something.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    What I heard (about Cambridge) was that while they want you to do an essay a week - and it'll probably end up being more than that - the essays don't necessarily have to be the perfect, polished gems (hah that you have to do at, for instance, IB. The weekly ones, at least, sounded like they'd be more, well, explorations; they don't necessarily need to fulfill six different 'descriptors'. But maybe that doesn't really alleviate the stress.

I appreciate that there's going to be a ton of work, but I think just not having to expend my energies on chemistry reports etc is going to help in my case. I hope so, at least, because I was hoping to have a wonderful social life as well as an academic one...

You all should have done Mathematics - no essays!!

ReputationRep:
    ohhhhhhhh all this stuff abt oxbridge being loadza work is scaring me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    ohhhhhhhh all this stuff abt oxbridge being loadza work is scaring me
    meh i doubt its that bad after doing 5 alevels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    Hmmm....you could be in for a surprise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Hmmm....you could be in for a surprise.
    or not, as the case may be

or not, as the case may be
    Just be prepared edders.

ReputationRep:
    it is very very different. Don't underestimate it.

ReputationRep:
    a-levels were a piece of pi**. Wait for uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *~Sarah~*)
    it is very very different. Don't underestimate it.
    You find out that pre university qualifications mean nothing...realise the extent of ones ignorance. Fantastic experience.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.