Turn on thread page Beta

Charterhouse or Cheltenham Ladies’College? watch

ReputationRep:
    This is an interesting and completely true fact.

Cheltenham Ladies College girls are not allowed electric tooth brushes... one can imagine why and yup, that is the reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)

Cheltenham Ladies College girls are not allowed electric tooth brushes... one can imagine why and yup, that is the reason.
    Oh!
    strict school
    strict teacher
    strict rule

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I would say (I'm sure others may argue) that Charterhouse isn't quite as famous as Eton and Harrow, but probably on a par with Westminster. CLC is probably equally famous as a girls school. However they are all very prestigious schools.

However I don't think that you should be making a choice of school simply on the basis of "prestige": just choose a school at which you think you will be happy and successful. Unlike universities, the fame of your school is won't change things in the long-run. Why would you particularly want to go to a prestigious school unless you just wanted to boast about it? (sorry about the unsolicited opinion there, but I felt the need to say something...).
    Thank you again,Alexander.
    Because I think both of the two are good enough for me(I mean academic only),so I must find something else to choose one of them~~~~
    Maybe the higher prestige can help students go to better universities.
    I have heard some colleges enroll students not only look their result of exams,but also their's present school~~~~~So the number of the famous schools' students who can study in oxbridge is higher than other.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

hehehe - what about lady shavers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered11)
    I heard that CLC had slipped down the ratings very badly and they no longer take part in the league tables. You can check out their position if what I heard is not true.
    BTW - Don't Charterhouse only take girls in 6th form?
    Thank you.
    Charterhouse only takes girls in A-level,and next year I will study A-level.

ReputationRep:
    I have just recevied my offer from Charterhouse School yesterday.Luckily,I got the exhibition,worth 2000 pounds.
    So I will choose Charterhouse School.
    Thanks for everyone above!

ReputationRep:
    if you're willing to work, it makes absolutely no difference where you go. Personally I'd forget the private system and keep the money!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    if you're willing to work, it makes absolutely no difference where you go. Personally I'd forget the private system and keep the money!!!
    Money can be earnd later of one's life,but the chance to go to a public school won't .Go to school is not only study academic course or get high mark,but also learn responsibility and the art of leadership.
    To be successful in life,you must fit readily with those who are already at the top.Public school make you to be that kind of person.Also,the best of them are very successful academically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinsisi)
    Thank you.
    Charterhouse only takes girls in A-level,and next year I will study A-level.
    CLC actually came 12th in the league tables this year and continues to compete.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by don'tknow)
    CLC actually came 12th in the league tables this year and continues to compete.
    I know people who there and electric toothbrushes are certainly allowed (as well as lady shavers)!

ReputationRep:
    Yes but responsibility and leadership can both be 'learnt' in any eductional system. Private school is not necessarily a means to the top and I think it's unfortunate so many people have that impression. I achieved 11A*s (GCSES) and 4 A's (A-Levels) and am now a 3rd year med student - something I've always wanted to do. I went to a state school, and am proud of what I achieved there. I consider myself to be a well rounded individual and cannot see what else I would have gained from attending a private school.

ReputationRep:

Enlighten me?

ReputationRep:
    Cheltenham ladies college is indeed better with great facilities.

Also, Cheltenham is a great place to live (i live here after all ). The area that the college is situated in is decent and you should have no problems.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but responsibility and leadership can both be 'learnt' in any eductional system. Private school is not necessarily a means to the top and I think it's unfortunate so many people have that impression. I achieved 11A*s (GCSES) and 4 A's (A-Levels) and am now a 3rd year med student - something I've always wanted to do. I went to a state school, and am proud of what I achieved there. I consider myself to be a well rounded individual and cannot see what else I would have gained from attending a private school.
    )
    Could I know which university are you in now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mladen5)
    Cheltenham ladies college is indeed better with great facilities.

Also, Cheltenham is a great place to live (i live here after all ). The area that the college is situated in is decent and you should have no problems.
    Do you go to Cheltenham ladies? If not, where? I may live in London now...but I do miss J's vodka bar!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my 3rd year at the University of Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my 3rd year at the University of Nottingham
    Oh,I have heard your school.It is one of the best schools in UK.

I am a Chinese,as you may know,If I want to find a good job when I finish my study and go back to my motherland,I must study in the world famous uiversities in UK.

ReputationRep:
    I want to study law and psychology in university.Is it possible to study this 2 subjects at one time in oxbridge?
    I choose maths ,further maths ,physics ,economics in A-LEVEL.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    CLC is said to be quite strict and stuck-up a school, but with amazingly high academic achievement.

I made a choice between CLC and Roedean one year ago and became a Roedeanian later. Though I sometimes regret my choice, I still enjoy my life a lot in Brighton.

Actually, the secondary school won't have a big effect on your univ application, especially as both two schools that you are considering have a really high ranking on the colleges legue.

I'm not sure whether you will see my message, since it seems that you've already made your decision. But I still want to say something as I am also a Chinese and just experienced my first term in UK.

The fact is that you will change after you come here. I still remember before I came here, what I was thinking about is just to go to Oxbridge and get a highly-paid job. But after these 13 weeks, what I desire most now is the life. I just want to spend a happy two-year time in Roedean and make tons of friends! Life is not only studying and studying all time won't give you any benefit. I love public schools coz here I can go for any kind of activities I feel interested in and develop myself physically as well as mentally. Your balance of leisure time and studying time will also affect your application a lot.

Anyway, stop here. I know that I never stop talking until I truly have nothing to say. Hope you will enjoy your likfe in Brit!!

PS: 2000 quid schorlarship is stunning!!!! Congratulations! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinsisi)
    I want to study law and psychology in university.Is it possible to study this 2 subjects at one time in oxbridge?
    I choose maths ,further maths ,physics ,economics in A-LEVEL.
    Thanks.
    I'm not sure whether you can take 2 subjects at the same time in univ or not. But what I want to suggest you is that -

IF you want to do law... choose Government and Politics. Don't think that you can't afford the essays involved in this subject. I really regret that I've chosen double maths, physics and business studies, which is a really really really crappy combination(but the teacher didn't allow me to do GP when I asked her at the end of this term... too late to add a subject... Bloody stupid me...)! I'm sure that I'll take AS GP in my VI2.

Your english is the most important thing for you if you wanna do law. But double maths and physics will do nothing to your language. If I were you, I would definitely drop either physics or further maths.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2004
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.