So do you think the VAT cut has helped in any way during the recession? Watch

Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The only thing it's done for me is left me with more 1 and 2p's in my wallet.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
The only thing it's done for me is left me with more 1 and 2p's in my wallet.
You appear to still use cash
CGFB
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
I'm guessing it's helped businesses a lot more than individuals. e.g. could have persuaded a firm to go with a big project (maybe IT), 2.5% might actually be a fair whack.
Nimiza
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes.

Nobody is looking at the big picture. Firstly, yes the consumers see a small difference to their pockets, so hopefully they will spend more of that.

More importantly, businesses see a profit, especially small businesses who can't and don't change the prices they charge to consumers. What does that mean? They don't have to let some staff go. They can absorb more losses to sales. They see more money to try and grow, and don't forget that the government will be taxing this extra profit so will be regaining 33% of it anyway. And of course all of these will feed through the multiplier effect to create a larger benefit than just the 2.5%.

People here are too easy to jump on the bandwagon without thinking about what they are saying.
I'm not saying is a recession buster, but it definitely had a positive effect which people on here do not realize.
MaxMaxMax
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's a 2.1277% cut in the overall price -IF the price cut was passed down to the consumer. And given the celebratory posters in many shops about how kind and generous they were to pass the full VAT cut saving down to consumers (as if it wouldn't just be expected that they would all do that anyway), it's not unreasonable to suppose that some shops didn't pass the saving down
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MaxMaxMax)
It's a 2.1277% cut in the overall price -IF the price cut was passed down to the consumer. And given the celebratory posters in many shops about how kind and generous they were to pass the full VAT cut saving down to consumers (as if it wouldn't just be expected that they would all do that anyway), it's not unreasonable to suppose that some shops didn't pass the saving down
Well in my experience about half have passed it on, with over half of those who did giving 2.5% rather than 2.1%.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (140)
18.37%
No (462)
60.63%
Not really bothered about them (160)
21%

Watched Threads