How to tie a tie - helppppp Watch

JMonkey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Cor blimey, as someone who spent 4 years at school having to tie up a tie every morning I hate the shackles. But basically if you're right or left handed it differs.

Essentially put it over your shoulders with the fat bit on your good hand side and the thin bit so it doesn't dangle too far down and wrap it around near the neck, holding it in place at the knot, once more then when you get behind go over the top between your neck and through the gap so it dangles down like a tongue and tuck it in by pulling the knot out so you can put it through the hole. Now pull out the knot slightly and thread it down until the knot is tight and adjust it by pulling the thin bit and letting out the slack, if you have not died of asphyxiation and it is on, go and ask someone if it is straight or check it out in a mirror.

Practice makes perfect. It aint that hard. If worse comes to worse buy a clip on.

EDIT: Oh and if the knot is too small it's likely you've let the fat bit get too long and too fat too short, the thin bit should be shorter than the fat bit by an inch or two when you've finished, get the proportion right and it's only the way you are tightening it up that is an issue.
crazylemon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BrightGirl)
Ok this is what it looks like atm (i'm not wearing a shirt - just trying to get the knot right first!) Sorry it's so big!

Spoiler:
Show
Looks good and wont be that loos on a shirt.
BrightGirl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Right, thanks so much everyone for the help, it's a lot better now than it was to start with - I think it should be acceptable.

I will rep everyone who has replied, starting tomorrow.

Thanks again.
crazylemon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Right, thanks so much everyone for the help, it's a lot better now than it was to start with - I think it should be acceptable.

Thanks again.
Glad to help
Good luck with the interview!
LearningMath
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by LooieENG)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbXzI-IAdSc

:tongue:
I found those videos strangely hypnotic. I couldnt care less about different types of knots, but i found myself clicking video after video. I watched about 7 in total. Odd.
JMonkey
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Thanks again.
Don't worry about repping me, glad to help even if those things make me shudder. Details like that can make a difference but seldom do anyway, if you're the right person then you are the right person. Good luck in your interview. I'd post a thread about interview technique, now that is an art in itself. Is it a job or..?
BrightGirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by JMonkey)
Don't worry about repping me, glad to help even if those things make me shudder. Details like that can make a difference but seldom do anyway, if you're the right person then you are the right person. Good luck in your interview. I'd post a thread about interview technique, now that is an art in itself. Is it a job or..?
Aw no I will rep, it's nice when you post a thread asking for help and you actually get serious, helpful replies.
It's like a waitressing trial...doubt i'll get the job since I have no experience whatsoever, but I might as well try. :tongue:
crazylemon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have never been in a to rep spoiler I feel special.
BrightGirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by crazylemon)
I have never been in a to rep spoiler I feel special.
Haha
LooieENG
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by LearningMath)
I found those videos strangely hypnotic. I couldnt care less about different types of knots, but i found myself clicking video after video. I watched about 7 in total. Odd.
I actually watched a few, and noticed I've been doing it wrong all this time
crazylemon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Haha
JMonkey
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Aw no I will rep, it's nice when you post a thread asking for help and you actually get serious, helpful replies.
It's like a waitressing trial...doubt i'll get the job since I have no experience whatsoever, but I might as well try. :tongue:
Ah now that's tough. I suspect what they are looking for is someone personable they'd like to work with, with good people skills. So personality counts, and of course so does appearance and so does how presentable you are, I see your dillema. You don't have to worry about being nervous, they account for that, but it's a lottery at the best of times, experience or not. You never know just who the person who's interviewing will like.

I just hope you don't get the three person interview, they will teach you a lot about interviews, but three people is a little disconcerting until you get used to it. End of the day though, fail or not it's all good experience. And be sure to make sure when they inevitably ask if you've got any questions you have several, if they've been answered then ask about something like hours and overtime or anything that wasn't covered. That helps a lot in my experience. And don't forget to smile when you meet, personality in such jobs goes a long way. Oh and turn up a quarter of an hour early at least. Being late is a definite no no.
User237126
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Chinese scientists did some research and found there are actually 14 aesthetically pleasing ways to tie a tie. There are nearly 200 which aren't, so don't do any of those
BrightGirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by JMonkey)
Ah now that's tough. I suspect what they are looking for is someone personable they'd like to work with, with good people skills. So personality counts, and of course so does appearance and so does how presentable you are, I see your dillema. You don't have to worry about being nervous, they account for that, but it's a lottery at the best of times, experience or not. You never know just who the person who's interviewing will like.

I just hope you don't get the three person interview, they will teach you a lot about interviews, but three people is a little disconcerting until you get used to it. End of the day though, fail or not it's all good experience. And be sure to make sure when they inevitably ask if you've got any questions you have several, if they've been answered then ask about something like hours and overtime or anything that wasn't covered. That helps a lot in my experience. And don't forget to smile when you meet, personality in such jobs goes a long way. Oh and turn up a quarter of an hour early at least. Being late is a definite no no.
Awesome advice, thanks! :hugs:
Oh I forgot about questions - i'll be sure to have some ready, and i'll smileeee.
Cheers a lot, i've never done anything like this before, so i'm not too fussed if I don't get it, i'm just glad to at least get the experience.
Makaveli_The_Don
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
At least you've learnt how to tie a tie!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (28)
25.93%
No - I got the required grades (66)
61.11%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (14)
12.96%

Watched Threads