Turn on thread page Beta

What are the chances of me getting into Oxford Uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    nah all the exams are in jun.

and if you wanted to do external exams anyway, each paper would be £30-60 (depending on the centre)

i wouldnt worry about exams and stuff just yet. trust me, 11A*s, you should be able to get 4As if you start light revision at April, and get it heavier towards the exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godmaster)
    arent they in jan? surely if i suggested to pay for the expenses? no? help!!
    You'd have to check when the deadline for entry is. I think you may have already missed it for january. I think the deadline for candidates to be entered was in late september but i'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    nah all the exams are in jun.

and if you wanted to do external exams anyway, each paper would be £30-60 (depending on the centre)

i wouldnt worry about exams and stuff just yet. trust me, 11A*s, you should be able to get 4As if you start light revision at April, and get it heavier towards the exams.
    Most unit exams are available in the january exam period too. I am taking some units re-sits in january myself.

ReputationRep:
    yeh but i meant for this particular college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weasel)
    Most unit exams are available in the january exam period too. I am taking some units re-sits in january myself.

the thing is i find that with english for example, wen i know the text fresh i can ace the paper with at least a A grade (Wen i did GCSE) where as near june, its much harder and drives my nerves round the bend!! i know i cnt mess with A Levels so i really wannan do the LTB1 for english lit and politics Unit 1 and hopefully get a A hence ill have
    -less papers to revise for in june thus increasing my breadth of focus
    -more time to a social life (something i have missed since september!!)
    -higher marks in the remaining units as oppose to taking them all in 1 go ( and yes i did find out, u take all the units in 1 go thats like 4.5hours for history lol in 1 day)

besides... i have a clash between pure maths 1 and politics units 123 if i do all in june (yea i do do some research) :-p

Views on this?

Life life to the limits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    yeh but i meant for this particular college
    aqa says theyre like end november...i know i could apply to do gcse;s no less than 1 month before the date...

mabbe i could beg for them 2...ill pay if thats wot it takes im used to if wen coming from a crappy skl like WHL lol

ReputationRep:
    Woodhouse don't let you do exams in January do they? We were only allowed to do one Maths resit in November and then had to do the rest of our exams in June. I think Biology/Chemistry students got to do practicals in January, cos of there not being enough space to do them at the same time, or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Woodhouse don't let you do exams in January do they? We were only allowed to do one Maths resit in November and then had to do the rest of our exams in June. I think Biology/Chemistry students got to do practicals in January, cos of there not being enough space to do them at the same time, or something.
    well im certainly gonna press for it!! if not cant i just do this ltb1 at a different centre and then take the others at wh?

If its true that you got 11a* with only one nights revision (lol i think sum ppl have got short memories when it comes to revision) then youre gonna find getting 4 As a piece of p***!! And theyll snap you up at Oxbridge - bilingual, working class, ethnic minority, brilliant grades etc So wots the fuss?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered2)
    If its true that you got 11a* with only one nights revision (lol i think sum ppl have got short memories when it comes to revision) then youre gonna find getting 4 As a piece of p***!! And theyll snap you up at Oxbridge - bilingual, working class, ethnic minority, brilliant grades etc So wots the fuss?
    Not necessarily...Oxbridge admissions tutors are known to have made bizarre decisions in the past (like letting me in for example!). But yes, you have as good a chance as anyone else with those grades.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Not necessarily...Oxbridge admissions tutors are known to have made bizarre decisions in the past (like letting me in for example!). But yes, you have as good a chance as anyone else with those grades.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

This is no comment on you being allowed in, however, I totally agree. Same with many of the other competitive universities. I would say the prize goes to the LSE for being pretty close to a lottery, in that it's almost entirely down to chance these days...for the Management BSc, its around 40 applications per place, how in the world can you distinguish????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    This is no comment on you being allowed in, however, I totally agree. Same with many of the other competitive universities. I would say the prize goes to the LSE for being pretty close to a lottery, in that it's almost entirely down to chance these days...for the Management BSc, its around 40 applications per place, how in the world can you distinguish????
    Yup definitely. For right or for wrong, admissions tutors are some of the most unpredictable people in the world.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    Yup definitely. For right or for wrong, admissions tutors are some of the most unpredictable people in the world.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Least with Oxbridge you get the interview. I'd say it's worse being rejected outright, without an interview, than after a bad interview. Maybe being rejectd after having had a good interview is the worst of them all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Least with Oxbridge you get the interview. I'd say it's worse being rejected outright, without an interview, than after a bad interview. Maybe being rejectd after having had a good interview is the worst of them all!
    How do you know what was a 'good' interview though? I agree, the interview is a crucial part of admissions processes and I know its not always feasible but I think more top institutions should use them.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-xx-x-x-x-x-x-x-x--x-xx--x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    How do you know what was a 'good' interview though? I agree, the interview is a crucial part of admissions processes and I know its not always feasible but I think more top institutions should use them.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-xx-x-x-x-x-x-x-x--x-xx--x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Don't you usually know? Well...I suppose there are usually two types. The type that abolutely grill you, almost as though they want your blood. Then, the sort that just nod at you. I personally HATE the latter, you have absolutely no idea as to why they're nodding. It may be that you're just fantastic, and they agree. Alternatively, they may well be thinking "god, can't wait till this guy gets the hell outa here". With the former, I would say you usually know.

Dno..it's rather like exams. I've known pretty much exactly how well/or how badly I've done after each exam (aside from one exception!). Some of my friends, they have absolutely no idea, at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Don't you usually know? Well...I suppose there are usually two types. The type that abolutely grill you, almost as though they want your blood. Then, the sort that just nod at you. I personally HATE the latter, you have absolutely no idea as to why they're nodding. It may be that you're just fantastic, and they agree. Alternatively, they may well be thinking "god, can't wait till this guy gets the hell outa here". With the former, I would say you usually know.

Dno..it's rather like exams. I've known pretty much exactly how well/or how badly I've done after each exam (aside from one exception!). Some of my friends, they have absolutely no idea, at times.
    Well i thought all my interviews went horrifically but I was offered a place and in my post-application report they said that the interviews I thought were worst were the most impressive.

Oh well....

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    Well i thought all my interviews went horrifically but I was offered a place and in my post-application report they said that the interviews I thought were worst were the most impressive.

Oh well....

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Women often tend to underestimate their interview/exam performance, methinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Women often tend to underestimate their interview/exam performance, methinks.
    No I actually thought it was awful because I felt like I couldn't answer the wuestions very well, but apparently a lot of people think they have done terribly because the interviewer tries to push able candidates further by asking them more difficult, probing questions.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jediknight007)
    Take part in a lot of extra-curricular activities since they look really good on your personal statement.
    But take part in extracurricular stuff because you enjoy it, not just to put on your statement. My mate's now playing sport with disabled kids every Saturday just to put on his CV. :rolleyes:

(Original post by Jools)
    But take part in extracurricular stuff because you enjoy it, not just to put on your statement. My mate's now playing sport with disabled kids every Saturday just to put on his CV. :rolleyes:
    That might have been his original idea (or perhaps he just said that because he thought people might misjudge him!) but maybe he will really enjoy it, especially when he gets to know the kids individually.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.