Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not convinced because in your video the flag fluttered horizontally whereas in pictures of the flag on the moon the flag flutters vertically despite both parties planting the flag into the ground...

ReputationRep:
    it was clearly a fake no doubt about it

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    I'm not convinced because in your video the flag fluttered horizontally whereas in pictures of the flag on the moon the flag flutters vertically despite both parties planting the flag into the ground...
    I assume the astronauts used at least some vertical movement when they planted the flag. Though of course, they may have different flag-planting technology at NASA

ReputationRep:
    ****'s sake. Look up the plans of the flag itself if you're that sure. Then look up how objects move in a vacuum. Combine, and get real.

We went to the moon.

ReputationRep:
    even if it was who cares it wouldnt change my day to day life would it?
    i still have to uni tomorow.
    what im trying to say is OP stop worrying and get a job you hippie

ReputationRep:
    i think it was an amazing achievement,

If im honest i had doubts when i first thought about it - the technolgy that was available at the time to do something of that magnitude - was staggering. But when you think about it all it is is applying basic physics -

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they landed on the moon.

They had a Mythbusters show on this. They actually went to an observatory where you are able to shine a strong laser on mirrors they left on the surface of the moon and it bounces back into the observatory.

ReputationRep:
    Lo and behold, your idiotic conspiracy theories quashed.

Put down your crack pipes and your beer bongs and read this, peons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    I think the main argument is:

would the American Government really be competent enough to orchestrate a hoax of this magnitude and complexity and keep it going for over 50 years?
    Number one reason right here.

In 1969, some Americans landed on the moon.

In other news, 9/11 was caused by some Muslim extremists who hijacked planes, Princess Diana died in a tragic car accident, and the Pope is, in fact, a Catholic.

ReputationRep:
    Examples:

The flag fluttering when they were in a vacuum where the flag can't have been blown.
    The flag didn't flutter after the astronauts let go of it. It looked like it was but this was because it had creases and fold marks in it from transportation and a horizontal rod was used to keep it on proper display:

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    The flag didn't flutter after the astronauts let go of it. It looked like it was but this was because it had creases and fold marks in it from transportation and a horizontal rod was used to keep it on proper display:

Spoiler:
    Show
    The horizontal rod was used but the indents in the flag suggest that there was a wind blowing it.

Let's say that it was folded, they would have folded it symmetrically or any other way. If they did fold it, it would be shown in the indents in the flag being symmetrical, but this is not so. Instead it looks like the flag is being blown by the wind and that the flag is rippling as a normal flag would.

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/multimed.../Moon_Flag.jpg

ReputationRep:
    in before silentrevolution.

ReputationRep:
    moon landing = real.

cheese on moon = fake.

sorry to dissapoint you twice.

ReputationRep:
    The horizontal rod was used but the indents in the flag suggest that there was a wind blowing it.

Let's say that it was folded, they would have folded it symmetrically or any other way. If they did fold it, it would be shown in the indents in the flag being symmetrical, but this is not so. Instead it looks like the flag is being blown by the wind and that the flag is rippling as a normal flag would.

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/multimed.../Moon_Flag.jpg
    they proved it could have happened on mythbusters, as there is no air to provide resistance the flag will appear to flutter as it continues the movement it was doing as the astronaut jabbed it into the moon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoHands)
    they proved it could have happened on mythbusters, as there is no air to provide resistance the flag will appear to flutter as it continues the movement it was doing as the astronaut jabbed it into the moon.
    I've seen the video, but the flag in Mythbusters fluttered differently to the flag in the pictures of the one on the moon. The Mythbusters flag fluttered horizontally, whereas the flag on the moon flutters vertically.

ReputationRep:

would the American Government really be competent enough to orchestrate a hoax of this magnitude and complexity and keep it going for over 50 years?
    I think a bigger one is that the Russians and Chinese would have made a big effort to discredit the American claims if they thought it was a hoax, and they didn't.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen the video, but the flag in Mythbusters fluttered differently to the flag in the pictures of the one on the moon. The Mythbusters flag fluttered horizontally, whereas the flag on the moon flutters vertically.
    That is merely an indication that the weave of the flags was different.

ReputationRep:

There isn't a shadow of doubt that they'd certainly try!

ReputationRep:

yes, wind makes flags flutter vertically. couldt teh pole be bending slightly and bounging up and down.

but meh, believe your conspiracy theories. it wont change my life :rolleyes:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.