do private and public school gets get on at nottingham university? Watch

Gizmo!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
on a more useful note, the size of the uni means there are a not invisible proportion of the less well off, or non-southerners, or the less well off end of the middle classes 'ere too, so dont worry about not finding a lower middle class crowd or a northern crowd. you just need to search a bit arder for it, more often in the self catering accomodation than catered (whose fees pretty much drive out anyone from a normally dunded background ( to be fair sorry Brendan, but that is true).

a trot round ugh stewart (catered) hall will reveal its an hall full of poshies, wif money pouring out of their arses, but they are usually good sorts, if a bit ignorant of the lifestyles of the majority. activities obviously cater for this populace (eg theres at least eight rugger squads, plus four in the hall, rugger being a prominent public school activity, but fewer of other more grassroots sports..still plenty though!). If you are a local chap then theres no better time to try out a poshie sport in your life than now at nottingham.

my only one gripe to the clubs and societies is that some of them aim their prices towards the 'igher earning students becos there are so many of them around, so they can charge what they like. This means you get to contend wif inflated costs for trips abroad when you'd pay 'alf that at other unis - great if you are posh and can afford anyfing, but it can leave you joining an alternative society down the road outside the university if you cant afford it, and hats not what university should be about.

the University gym is a good example of the above. Now, there isnt an 18 year in my old hometown who could afford the university gym fees, yet stacks of public schoolers join wiffout batting an eyelid, and the sad thing is that you HAVE to join to play in a lot of the sports teams ere. Thus you CAN get discluded passively, if you see what i mean. YOu may find you cant join most sports teams simply becos most of them enforce this mandatory gym membership.

apparently it wasnt always like this. there were cheaper days in our universities past times. and note that these costs arent the fault of posh students! lol public schoolers dont disclude you actively from anyfing really, though you may get discluded if you dont/cant afford to join in.

i've found that public schoolers in their boisterous rugby crowds can be tamed quite easily, to be 'onest, wif a bit of force of personality. they are 'umans, just like anyone, after all, and actually a pretty soft lot - the boisterous side is just an act to cover for their fear of moving out of home, tbh. Match them like for like, talk a good fight and you'll find they are as soft as sh**e. In fact they will find that they NEED YOU, as you're likely to be much more street savvy than them.

there are a few t**ts, but you get that in any group of 18 year olds you join, and after all you need some amusement.Public schoolers are there to provide you with laughs aplenty. Seeing them attempting to cook for the first time, or even shopping for groceries for the first time will have you in stitches. Theres nuffing funnier than seeing public school students take a taxi to get 500 yards down the road. (this really is the funniest thing ever), or seeing them getting repeatedy stung by the same taxi drivers. Or... seeing a poshie on his own outside a nightclub being totally petrified out of his pants by a northern bouncer threatening to ring his university and get him expelled. classic times.

you may never get another chance in your life to live wif a bunch of poshies. dont ate poshies even if they do stop our own people getting into their local university. thats not their fault. mek the most of it, but live life on your terms, not theirs. go there to rule their own scene and take them on at their own game, and the satisfaction and the fun opportunities will be too numerous to waste, you'll realise that in years to come when you are desk job bound and dreaming of nottingham's pastures old.
BrenLee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Gizmo!)
you need to get out more wif the younger ones, macca. The locals see Trent as theUniversity, although you probalby wouldnt want to 'ang wif the youngsters at your age mind, understandably.

although trent is where its at, i do love being at nottingham uni just for the fact that the campus offers the complete student life wiffin a maximum of eight minutes walk in any direction.
On second thoughts I'm not going to rise to your trolling. Just stop lying to people who don't know the area.
Gizmo!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i avent lied to you, and you do know the area well.

u just dont know it from a younger person's perspective anymore.
simeon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
seing as you call it the Poly, i wonder ow old you are too.

ahh, even nottingham students eventually glean that the trent union is the place to be.

its an interesting transformation to watch, and teks place in about the second semester onwards, macca.
Any Uni of Nottingham student that has been to a Varsity event will know it as the Poly, as will a great many of those who haven't, regardless of their age.

You're right, Trent does have the better Union nights, but then I never said it didn't. I quite clearly said Nottingham is a better Uni than Trent. Which it is.
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
trent is shyite. you will get a **** job. just live with it ok?
philjw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have to say I genuinely do not have a clue whether most of my friends and coursemates are from private, selective or comprehensive schools. In my experience, at Uni nobody knows or cares what school you went to.
BrenLee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i avent lied to you, and you do know the area well.

u just dont know it from a younger person's perspective anymore.
OK lying was probably too strong a word, I apologise :pinch:, but you are without question over exaggerating on almost everything. Sure there are "posh" people in halls but majority are working class or middle class. The "posh" don't all congregate in Hugh Stewart Hall by any means.

There are always going to be differences between folks from different backgrounds but you shouldn't be encouraging people to make fun and laugh at them; that's pure discrimination and completely unnecessary. If you don't like a diverse environment, you probably shouldn't have decided to come to University.

I'm on the fence as to which Uni is better (Trent or UoN), frankly I don't care, I've met a lot of perfectly nice, genuine people from both and also a few idiots as well (not all posh). Each Uni offers different courses and is respected in different areas so comparing the two is a little naive anyhow.

The advice I give is based on my honest, unbiased opinion, not as a UoN employee but as someone who doesn't want to mislead people at a vulnerable time in their lives.

My age isn't a big deal for me and, until you came along, no one else seemed to care either. I'm 34, my ears haven't stopped working quite yet :p: so when I said, I'd never heard your comment about UoN not being thought of as locals as a real Uni; It's purely because I hadn't heard it and I don't for 1 second believe it either. No offense
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (64)
29.63%
No - I got the required grades (123)
56.94%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (29)
13.43%

Watched Threads