Anyone elses parents racist... Watch

eulerwaswrong
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i think my mam is a die hard daily mail reader - and will believe whatever rubbish is in it - she is a nice person but is constantly ****ging off immigrants/people on benefits/banks/whatever the mail feels like having a go of.

I dont think she is racist - but she is certainly isnt "pro diversity" shall we say
ilikepiesandstuff
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
My Dad reads The Sun... which is just as bad!
EskimoJo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Antonia87)
My 90-year-old grandmother is racist, but I dont think she even realises it. She uses words that whilst you could have used 50 years ago, you couldnt possibly use now for fear of being attacked. But it seems normal to her. Then again she was born in 1918 and in devout Roman Catholic, very white Ireland.
I don't think using words that were the norm in her time makes her a racist... unless she says/does other things as well? :eyebrow:
daruishraz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Maxxiv)
Im not racist, but the majority or ethnic people i have met i don't like. I dont like the way some of them impose their religion on a christian Country
:rofl:
EskimoJo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rubix)
I think my parent's are justifiably racist towards black people. A group of them did rob our house, stole our car, and rape my 6 year old sister.
That's a horrible thing that happened and I hope things are going well for your family now and the perpetrators are being punished, but that does not justify racism. Were the attackers all men? Do your parents hate all men?
Antonia87
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by EskimoJo)
I don't think using words that were the norm in her time makes her a racist... unless she says/does other things as well? :eyebrow:
She will use them in a very degrading way, which tends to give away her opinion. My mum will often just tell her to "be quiet."
ilikepiesandstuff
Rep:
?
I love old people!
Antonia87
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rubix)
I think my parent's are justifiably racist towards black people. A group of them did rob our house, stole our car, and rape my 6 year old sister.
****ing *******s.
Rubix
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It was quite a while ago. Everything is ok now.
ellejaaay
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ilikepiesandstuff)
....and think we have been programmed by the state in school?
My Dad is racist (along with being homophobic and sexist, but that's another story). He's convinced that the reason I don't think the same way to him is due to what I was taught in school and college, and the way Mum brought us up :shifty:

Im not racist, but the majority or ethnic people i have met i don't like. I dont like the way some of them impose their religion on a christian Country
*facepalm*
ilikepiesandstuff
Rep:
?
(Original post by ellejaaay)
My Dad is racist (along with being homophobic and sexist, but that's another story). He's convinced that the reason I don't think the same way to him is due to what I was taught in school and college, and the way Mum brought us up :shifty:

*facepalm*

Ahhh same here apart the Mum bit.

p.s. Currently reading Tess of D'urb so liking your avatar...
aliphatic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by _Pondersome.)
I think generally, the older generation seem to be more racist than the younger people. Like, grandparents and stuff, it's just the way they were brought up.
This. My grandparents were awful for it, my dad's of the mentality 'so long as they learn English and get a job I don't care', and I like to think I'm not racist at all.
ilikepiesandstuff
Rep:
?
(Original post by aliphatic)
my dad's of the mentality 'so long as they learn English and get a job I don't care', and I like to think I'm not racist at all.
Thats a good mentality. Thats what I believe too.
ellejaaay
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ilikepiesandstuff)
Ahhh same here apart the Mum bit.

p.s. Currently reading Tess of D'urb so liking your avatar...
Glad to know it's not just my Dad...

Lol, thanks. I'm reading it at the moment too (after watching the the recent TV adaptation). How are you finding it?
Neo Con
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No unless you consider keeping America White Racist with controlled immigration. I consider that protecting the people who made america.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Essentially, I think we have been 'programmed' to some extent to be more tolerant. Not to say that's essentially a bad thing though, but we are not a less racist generation simply by coincidence.
Nick_000
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Antonia87)
She will use them in a very degrading way, which tends to give away her opinion. My mum will often just tell her to "be quiet."
I don't think she is racist. She is just from a different generation with different attitudes in society.
username196545
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
username196545
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh, and yeah, they're closet racists.
ilikepiesandstuff
Rep:
?
(Original post by ellejaaay)
Glad to know it's not just my Dad...

Lol, thanks. I'm reading it at the moment too (after watching the the recent TV adaptation). How are you finding it?
Yeah I watched the TV version... have only just got round to reading it. Up to her moving away after the babies death.. so sad! Normally I don't really like 'old' styles of writing, but am actually really enjoyingthe way Hardy writes...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (296)
25.92%
Yes - they're famous (292)
25.57%
No I don't (554)
48.51%

Watched Threads