Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by junglemonkey)
    Yeah that's good. Sounds like your GP isn't an incompetent fool like mine :p: I had to wait 10 years to find out I was coeliac.
    I kinda wish she's do the Blood Test now - instead of having to wait around for another 4 weeks. Just wanna get on with finding out the problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I kinda wish she's do the Blood Test now - instead of having to wait around for another 4 weeks. Just wanna get on with finding out the problem
    Yeah IBS doesn't really mean anything except your bowel spasms at the wrong time. It should be a diagnosis of exclusion, as in you exclude everything else. IT shouldn't be the first place you go to, if you know what I mean?

Yeah IBS doesn't really mean anything except your bowel spasms at the wrong time. It should be a diagnosis of exclusion, as in you exclude everything else. IT shouldn't be the first place you go to, if you know what I mean?
    I'm not sure she knows what else it could be though - apart from coeliac

ReputationRep:
    I know everyone is different,but is it usual for Cramps to be worst in the morning ?
    Sometimes i wake with the most unbearable painful cramps & can't move until they begin to ease up.
    I get my cramps in the morning too. They can be severe enough that I can't stand up. I just make sure I take one of my tablets as I'm getting out of bed, it seems to take most of the pain away.

Just collected Tablets from Gp. They are called Colpermin Peppermint Oil Capsules. She given me 100 tablets. Lets hope they work !

Help Do i take the Tablets even if i don't have any Cramps ? (i don't have constant cramps & was told to take 1 tablet with each meal)

ReputationRep:
    Help Do i take the Tablets even if i don't have any Cramps ? (i don't have constant cramps & was told to take 1 tablet with each meal)
    You take them before every meal to prevent the pain don't you?

(Original post by reddevilleanne)
    You take them before every meal to prevent the pain don't you?
    But i don't always get pain after eating ... It's worse when i wake in the morning
    And i cn have days with no pain at all - then it'll suddenly randomly come back

ReputationRep:
    But i don't always get pain after eating ... It's worse when i wake in the morning
    And i cn have days with no pain at all - then it'll suddenly randomly come back
    Hmm, I almost always get bloating after meals and pains after eating something that I shouldn't! I always get bloated in the evenings too, but it's fine again in the morning. Infact, mornings are usually the only time I feel 'normal'. Mine's brought on by stress too though, not just by food and drink. Are there certain foods that cause the pain?

Hmm, I almost always get bloating after meals and pains after eating something that I shouldn't! I always get bloated in the evenings too, but it's fine again in the morning. Infact, mornings are usually the only time I feel 'normal'. Mine's brought on by stress too though, not just by food and drink. Are there certain foods that cause the pain?
    There's no certain food that causes pain,can be absolutely anything .... i can eat normally & get no pain,then 3 days later the pain just comes back (even if i haven't eaten in hours)

Still not sure about the Tablets.

ReputationRep:
    There's no certain food that causes pain,can be absolutely anything .... i can eat normally & get no pain,then 3 days later the pain just comes back (even if i haven't eaten in hours)

Still not sure about the Tablets.
    It doesn't really sound like IBS But I'm no doctor!

What other symptoms do you have apart from stomach pain?

It doesn't really sound like IBS But I'm no doctor!

What other symptoms do you have apart from stomach pain?
    Bloating,
    Loud gurgling stomach
    Feeling full (even on empty stomach)
    bursts of diarrhea (haven't had a normal Bowel movement in over 1 month)

ReputationRep:
    Bloating,
    Loud gurgling stomach
    That could be any number of things.

Have you started taking the colpermin?

That could be any number of things.

Have you started taking the colpermin?
    Yeah took the first tablet at Lunch. But i'm worried coz i haven't had any symptoms today,so not sure if i should have taken the Tablet

ReputationRep:
    Yeah took the first tablet at Lunch. But i'm worried coz i haven't had any symptoms today,so not sure if i should have taken the Tablet
    When I took Colpermin I took it regularly, before every meal :yep:

When I took Colpermin I took it regularly, before every meal :yep:
    Even if u didn't have any symptoms ?

ReputationRep:
    Even if u didn't have any symptoms ?
    Yeah, that's okay

Yeah, that's okay
    Gp wants me to take them for month - that just seems an awfully long time.

What do these tablets do ?

ReputationRep:
    Bloating,
    Loud gurgling stomach
    Well that does sound like IBS, but like the other person said, it could be other things too, especially as you said that no food in particular triggers it! If you've only had these symptoms for a month, just wait and see how it goes over the next few weeks/months. I haven't had a normal bowel movement for 2 years! I get both diarrhoea and constipation, so one day I'll be constipated, then the next day I'll have diarrhoea, then the day after I'll be constipated again It's very annoying! I just want normal poo again lol! :tongue:

Just keep taking the tablets and see how it goes

ReputationRep:
    Gp wants me to take them for month - that just seems an awfully long time.

What do these tablets do ?
    They contain peppermint which is known to relax the bowel. They have a coating (normally) on the outside of the capsules that prevents them opening in the stomach so the peppermint reaches the intestines, where the spasms are occurring in IBS.

The peppermint is released and relaxes the bowel, reducing the painful spasms.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2009
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.