Law and Business Watch

Areontas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are still qualifying law degrees that are BAs and not LLBs (excluding Oxbridge, these are usually Joint Honours courses). It shouldn't matter though as long as it's qualifying, which the Warwick Law/Business degree seems to be... although it would take you an extra year.

As far as I'm aware the degree itself is still traditional in that you take all the core modules in order to qualify, but obviously with a focus on business as well. It sounds like an interesting degree if that's where your passions lie, as there's certainly a lot of variety and scope to have a bit of a break from the law work. If you think you could cope with the different subjects and are interested in it, I'd advise you apply for it; the Warwick admissions team will look very favourably upon a passionate personal statement (I applied for European law there). And as far as working as a lawyer goes, as long as it's qualifying and you do well in it, it shouldn't hold you back; in fact, knowledge of the commercial world and a broader outlook on things may well help you when it comes to interviews.
TerryTerry
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SomeGirl91)
What you're saying is true - a joint degree does give you a better understanding of your course, and subject, and you do get to study more modules; however, if you're looking to get into the best Law firms/Chambers then your 'micky mouse' Law degree, copared to those who have studied a BA in a different course and then a GDL, or a LLB are going to have upper hand.

Those with a BA and then a GDL have solid understanding of their subject, with the corse Law modules on top - those with a joint Law&... only study half of that subject as half is taken up by Law - you get the same ammount of enjoyment.

Why do you think you know so strongly different? Law student?
The Law and Business degree is not a 'mickey mouse' degree though and you don't need to take the GDL. You need to take an extra year at uni to do the final qualifying modules as well as additional ones. The GDL covers the 7 essential modules in a year most of which would have been taken on that degree. With the Law and Business degree if you choose qualifying law modules for your options for law, you will only need to take one (not 7) qualifying law module in the fourth year. Then there are core law and business modules and you must also take options in business. The GDL is a very expensive course taken at a provider like the College of Law or BPP (though there is employer sponsorship/bursaries/loans which can negate this).

Basically, the Law and Business degree is 20 modules. A normal law degree at Warwick is 12 modules of which 7 and a half modules are qualifying modules. The amount of additional modules you have to do for the former degree is very high.

Back to what I was saying before; top law firms generally don't care what you've done your degree in. I'm not saying that's right (I don't think it is) but what they care about is whether you have a good 2:1 and some require you have at least AAB at A-level. As long as the degree is traditional there should be no problem. The Law and Business degree is what it says - a law degree and a business degree. Potentially you would do exactly the same course as a Warwick law graduate but with additional business modules over the course of 4 years. I think it's a waste of time if you want to be a lawyer. If the OP doesn't know what he wants to do, a straight law degree can take him directly into business/finance/IB (if that still exists!), he doesn't need to do business modules. You can do Geography and beat out people with an Economics degree. A Law degree is respected whatever field you enter.
RedGlover
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by TerryTerry)
I think it's a waste of time if you want to be a lawyer.
Surely though, for someone looking to keep options open, and if go into law specifically into Business or Commercial Law...taking a degree that combines the necessities of Law with the add knowledge for Business would be beneficial?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.5%
No (741)
72.5%

Watched Threads