Turn on thread page Beta

Getting what YOU want out of a relationship. Do you? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderlay in flames)
    5 year engagement isn't really an engagement is it?
    What? Why? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderlay in flames)
    5 year engagement isn't really an engagement is it?
    Many people have long engagements!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think any two people are naturally 'perfect' for each other. Even if you think they are at first, the fact is that you'll have your differences and arguments and annoyances, but getting PAST those things is what makes a good relationship. No two people have the same interests, life goals, ambitions, etc. In my opinion, as long as you've got the fundamentals right it's up to the two of you to make the rest slot into place. You have to grow closer together before you really start seeing how well the relationship works.

And personally, as soon as I stopped looking for the 'perfect' person, I found someone great and it works amazingly.

ReputationRep:
    Aww, no I don't believe in the perfect relationship. We're all unique people, there are always subtle differences between our personalities that have to be put up with. Strong relationships appreciate the differences between them and arguments are necessary, because I think they show that they are honest enough to show what they really think.

To be in a relationship with someone and be the best of friends would be the closest to a "perfect" relationship as you can get.

Ohh and that whole engagement thing is sooooooooooo sweet!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glutamic Acid)
    Just being companionable, feeling affection for each other plus sexual attraction, personally.

Yes same as me. Maybe you're my soulmate. Or maybe like every other relationship we would tear each other to pieces. We will never know. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fi0na.)
    To be in a relationship with someone and be the best of friends would be the closest to a "perfect" relationship as you can get.
    It doesn't disappoint
    Oh and thanks!

ReputationRep:
    True love is out there. It'll surprise you when you least expect it. I found my best friend and boyfriend after a chance meeting that may never have happened. After 18 months being 200 miles apart, we're finally going to be together later this year.

Nothing is perfect, but this is the closest to perfect it could be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M e m p h i s)
    What? Why?
    Think it's just because an engagement used to be regarded as a promise to marry within one year (not always though, I wonder when that became 'tradition'). I don't believe many people would make a fuss about it nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Levity. Irony.)
    Think it's just because an engagement used to be regarded as a promise to marry within one year (not always though, I wonder when that became 'tradition'). I don't believe many people would make a fuss about it nowadays.
    Oh right, well basically we both knew how serious we were and I wanted to show everyone who said we were so young that we were mature enough for a relationship. Thankfully, she did too

We knew we wouldnt be getting married within a year or two, and we are both in out first years of Uni now, so we wont be getting married until my year out, which is after my 4th. So it will be 9 years possibly 10.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with that :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, well basically we both knew how serious we were and I wanted to show everyone who said we were so young that we were mature enough for a relationship. Thankfully, she did too

We knew we wouldnt be getting married within a year or two, and we are both in out first years of Uni now, so we wont be getting married until my year out, which is after my 4th. So it will be 9 years possibly 10.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with that :p:
    No, I don't see the problem either. Although, I find it weird how many people get engaged after a few weeks/months without any special meaning attached to it.
    One of my friends went to Australia to write her dissertation and her boyfriend asked her to marry him before she went. Both knew they wouldn't get married anytime soon, but I thought it was quite sweet.
    Btw: They're married by now. Hope it'll work out for you, too.

ReputationRep:
    We took 7 months to get engaged.
    She knew I was gonna do it and we had talked about it before.
    Christmas day '04 was the date :p:

ReputationRep:
    We took 7 months to get engaged.
    She knew I was gonna do it and we had talked about it before.
    Christmas day '04 was the date :p:

There's hope for us then :p:

i get what I want outta my relationship, yeah. I trust him 100%, and if I ever get jealous about anything he reassures me without me even needing to ask. I still fancy the pants off him, he's one of my best friends, he's the funniest guy i've ever met, he's romantic and caring, compliments me all the time, I feel like he's committed and I trust that he'd never ever cheat. so I'm pretty damn happy I love him more n more each day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_87)
    There's hope for us then :p:
    Haha

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2009
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.