Google Street View: Innovation or privacy invasion? Watch

little sheep
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think its great ive just been showing my family my new house I think the people on it doing things they are ashamed of like getting arrested and throwing up outside pubs should live with it if they didn't want to be seen then dont do it.
romeosbitch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it's fun for about ten minutes but after that it's pretty pointless. It's nice to look at places you know but there's not really anything you can "do" with it.

And i'd like to think that the one time i had too much to drink and had to throw it up wouldn't be captured on picture forever. You can't just do crazy things and then forget about them anymore!
otester
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Google has helped quite a lot for the protection of the internet, for example they host a speedtester which tells you if your ISP is throttling P2P/other ISPs which do.

What they did in China was a bad idea though.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If it was live I would be more concerned, but they're only images. It's really not that interesting anyway.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 3105)
If it was live I would be more concerned, but they're only images. It's really not that interesting anyway.
That's what you'd think... until you find the topless Italian prostitutes on it..
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
That's what you'd think... until you find the topless Italian prostitutes on it..
:eek:

I do apologise. :holmes:
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
brilliant thing - no more holidays needed
selotape
Report 9 years ago
i find the google street view amazing
Gazcobain
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In ten years time we'll all be wearing visors round our heads and taking virtual tours around cities in full-motion video rather than jerky individual photographs
R-I-O
Report 9 years ago
If it is just meant to be a high-tech map then I would naturally assume that's all people would be using it for; however people's faces should be blurred along with other things such as the interiors of houses. The main thing that concerned me was how far you're allowed to zoom in.
ArcadiaHouse
Badges: 15
Report 9 years ago
How do you use it? Is it just London it shows you?
ploder
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If it is just meant to be a high-tech map then I would naturally assume that's all people would be using it for;
A high tech map that allows anyone with an internet connection to look at the front of your house in the comfort of their own home.

Google has helped quite a lot for the protection of the internet, for example they host a speedtester which tells you if your ISP is throttling P2P/other ISPs which do.
Yes, but remember Google is a business. Like any business it's primary goal is to make money for its shareholders.

How do you use it? Is it just London it shows you?
You type in the address/postcode in Google Maps and a box comes up over the usual interface. If Street View is available for that location then it will say 'Street View' in the box and you click on that. London is quite well covered, but other areas are being done as we speak. If you want to get an image removed then you click on 'Report a Problem' in the lower left hand corner of Google Maps window. They are quite prompt with removing images which is at least something we can be thankful for.

Another aspect to Street View I hadn't considered:

Threatened woman labels Google Street View 'dangerous'
http://tinyurl.com/dfhbmg
Red_Sky
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am not saying it will definitely be used for crime, but the student street where I live has all the 'To Let' boards outside, so anyone can have a good look and know precisely which houses are going to be empty over the next few weeks...
satza900
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TuckingFypo™)
Innovation. I love Google Earth, so this will be awesome.

It's not like they're showing the insides of your homes or anything.
Exactly :rolleyes:
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I hope the Neo-Luddites who are trying to block Google from photographing their houses do not disrupt the service from going fully live. The argument about burglars is ridiculous - surely burglars favour access to the rear of houses, where visibility is much lower. Technology won't wait.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Red_Sky)
I am not saying it will definitely be used for crime, but the student street where I live has all the 'To Let' boards outside, so anyone can have a good look and know precisely which houses are going to be empty over the next few weeks...
I think you'll find they can look anyway - in fact, that's sort of the point of 'to let' signs. If you don't want people to know a house is up for let, then don't put out a massive sign declaring it so for all and sundry to gawp at.
Red_Sky
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
I think you'll find they can look anyway - in fact, that's sort of the point of 'to let' signs. If you don't want people to know a house is up for let, then don't put out a massive sign declaring it so for all and sundry to gawp at.
I think YOU'LL find that it's not really the choice of students, more the landlords. And the signs are taken down over the holidays so they are not up at the moment but still are on google street view, actually. And before you say it letting websites put the area but not the street name or address for the safety of students....So yes that is the point, they are not currently 'to let' but all our stuff that we've left over easter in our own rooms is being advertised on the internet...That's is the point in fact that I was trying to make...I don't appreciate your implying my stupidity at overlooking this, it is something that is important to a lot of people where I live...so think on
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Red_Sky)
nd the signs are taken down over the holidays so they are not up at the moment but still are on google street view, actually
So, in fact, it's all completely irrelevant then?

And before you say it letting websites put the area but not the street name or address for the safety of students...
Yeah, but you can see that quite easily from just walking down a street.

I don't appreciate your implying my stupidity at overlooking this
Well, it is stupid. There's nothing on Google Street View that you can't see by simply walking down a street. Less, in fact, since you have no idea when the images were taken. So to imply that it's somehow helping opportunistic theft is pretty ridiculous.
Red_Sky
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
So, in fact, it's all completely irrelevant then?

Yeah, but you can see that quite easily from just walking down a street.

Well, it is stupid. There's nothing on Google Street View that you can't see by simply walking down a street. Less, in fact, since you have no idea when the images were taken. So to imply that it's somehow helping opportunistic theft is pretty ridiculous.
I have just slapped my forehead with my hand in true homer simpson fashion..'d'oh' Either your playing devil's advocate or you are not reading what I'm saying?! The signs were up when the students were in residence, they are taken down when the students are on holiday i.e. away from the property for security....So anyone who walks down the street now i.e. when it matters won't be able to tell which are student properties....Hence you being WRONG on your facts...Just to correct you then... There IS something you can see from Google Street View you can't find either by walking down the street or on most accessible places on the internet. Thus please get your facts straight before implying my opinion is ridiculous. I personally can't think who would want to sit on google street view looking at other people's houses, I do accept that some people obviously have nothing better to do and that is their perogative. I am just pointing out a shortfall with the technology and merely expressing an opinion in a thread which clearly asks for it....in my opinion it is a privacy invasion...As it is clearly not a clear cut issue I would not deem myself in any position to declare the opposite view 'ridiculous'....I would probably go as far as say it is a little naive really.
fran.ha
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm not doing anything wrong so I don't care really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.

Watched Threads