Muscular body (19)
21.35%
cowsgoquack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sephirona)
I thought I was clear that I meant the physical form of the body. By athletic I meant quite slim body (footballers or cricketers?) and by muscular I meant quite large muscular body (weightlifters, basketballers?). So it's basically a question of huge bodies and medium/small sized bodies.
so footballers and cricketers are athletic, whilst athletes are not athletic?
munn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i thought "athlete" generally referred to those who perform in track and field style events, so sprinters, high jumpers etc.

that's why athletic usually refers to the type of body that most track and field performers have

and i'm sure that's probably not the Oxford English Dictionary definition, but when given a choice between "athletic" and "muscular", you'd have to be obtuse not to understand what was meant by athletic
bigman_ben
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
perhaps some examples of people on a sort of sliding scale from skinny to all out jacked up so for the benefit of those of you getting your knickers in a twist.

Peter Crouch (skinny)
David Beckham (toned athletic sort of guy)
Any big second row forward (muscly but also just generally big lads with a bit of fat on them)
Brock Lesnar (20 stone of jacked up lean beef)
Chumbaniya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by munn)
that's why athletic usually refers to the type of body that most track and field performers have
Oh, like shot putters and 10,000m runners.

Wait, wut?
munn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Chumbaniya)
Oh, like shot putters and 10,000m runners.

Wait, wut?
"most"
Chumbaniya
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by munn)
"most"
Most being those who compete in which events? Even talking about an average is probably misleading because the midpoint between various body types isn't exactly well defined, but to talk about the body type that most athletes have is absurd - there's clearly not even any broad category of body shape into which all track and field athletes fall.

Sprinters, shot putters, distance runners and high jumpers, for example, all have very different body types.

Ironically, the only generally recognisable trend among track and field athletes is that they are more muscular than most.
munn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
the general recognisable trend would be that they're generally slim and muscularly defined without being too muscular
cowsgoquack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
they all wear vests too
Powerlifter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
wifebeaters?
Chumbaniya
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by munn)
the general recognisable trend would be that they're generally slim and muscularly defined without being too muscular
Doesn't sound very true to me. I think someone's just picked a bad example to illustrate a poor point and won't back down.

The first thing I think of when I think of the word "athletic" is someone more muscular than average, as this is the most obvious sign that someone has athletic ability.

Also recall that the word "muscular" is not synonymous with "Ronnie Coleman", so all this talk about athletic meaning something smaller than muscular does is pretty much bull.
Bebbs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The thing I think of when I hear "athletic body" is the body of an athlete.
Rainy
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
ath⋅lete

–noun

a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

Origin: 1520–30; < L āthlēta < Gk āthlētes, equiv. to āthlē- (var. s. of āthleîn to contend for a prize, deriv. of âthlos a contest) + -tēs suffix of agency.
Rob_dob
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wow stop being awkward people, it's obvious what he means. In other words toned vs hench body builder physique.
ben_lines
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Failed thread
Chumbaniya
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rob_dob)
Wow stop being awkward people, it's obvious what he means. In other words toned vs hench body builder physique.
Because that is totally what "athletic" and "muscular" mean.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.65%
No (667)
60.69%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.66%

Watched Threads