College open days. Watch

Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by statics)
I wondered how other people usually approached the open days. Is it, for example, possible to see the colleges without booking, or are there some colleges who will only show round prospective students if they have booked for the fully-fledged tour? How many colleges is it wise to try to look around in a day?
- Drew up shortlist using objective criteria = 6 or so colleges
- Visited Oxford during Easter holidays to wander round them = discovered favourite
- Booked Open Day there = got to meet the subject tutor (which was a bookable thing only) & go on tour etc. which confirmed college decision then did departmental stuff to confirm university

- 6 years later... still was definitely the best college for my subject.

Some you need to book early to get a place!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by statics)
Thanks for the advice guys
No problem!

Elles has made a very good point about narrowing down the colleges. If you already have ideas about what you want from a college (e.g. I wanted to be accommodated for the whole of my course), you can use information in the prospectus and on the individual college websites to figure out which colleges match your criteria. Then you can go and visit those and asks lots of questions! :yep:
statics
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
No problem!

Elles has made a very good point about narrowing down the colleges. If you already have ideas about what you want from a college (e.g. I wanted to be accommodated for the whole of my course), you can use information in the prospectus and on the individual college websites to figure out which colleges match your criteria. Then you can go and visit those and asks lots of questions! :yep:

Yeah, that's what I've done. It's just that I've managed to whittle it down to about 7 on the basis of websites. Do you think it's worth e-mailing colleges to ask whether they'll be open for people who haven't booked, or is it safe to assume that they will? Some college websites seem to imply that in order to attend you have to book. New, for instance, asks you to e-mail the admissions person directly if you'd like to attend.
pf1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In previous years all colleges have been happy for prospective applicants to look around the grounds. If I were you I'd pick one of your shortlist to book (and possibly stay at), and visit the others off your own bat in the afternoon when you're not attending the college talks or seeing the department(s).
statics
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by pf1)
In previous years all colleges have been happy for prospective applicants to look around the grounds. If I were you I'd pick one of your shortlist to book (and possibly stay at), and visit the others off your own bat in the afternoon when you're not attending the college talks or seeing the department(s).

Yep, I ought to have mentioned. I've booked and am staying at Brasenose.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What pf1 said really. Colleges are always happy to let prospective applicants have a look around, even if it's not an open day!
pf1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OK. Well last year all colleges said they would allow 'drop-in' visitors in at least the afternoon - I can't see why they wouldn't do that again this year.
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Tbh any college not letting randoms wander in off the street would be massively MASSIVELY shooting themselves in the foot, so it's doubtful that you would be turned away from anywhere!
Athena
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bekaboo)
Tbh any college not letting randoms wander in off the street would be massively MASSIVELY shooting themselves in the foot, so it's doubtful that you would be turned away from anywhere!
Magdalen don't want foot traffic at the September open day - in the past, they haven't bothered opening for it.
Teebs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by LizB)
:yep:

Nothing beats a unicorn.
Except a thermonuclear weapon.
Rustlessbowl
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Teebs)
Except a thermonuclear weapon.
Brasenose's unicorn has one of those
Teebs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rustlessbowl)
Brasenose's unicorn has one of those
It's the Oxford nuclear triad. Brasenose unicorns, Magdalen ICBM tower and the Green-Templeton Narwhale.
cpchem
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bekaboo)
:yep: - we close the doors for (I think) half-an-hour for non-booked people, just so we actually have enough time to eat.
Athena
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:nospam: @ Teebs and Rustlessbowl.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (161)
18.46%
No (530)
60.78%
Not really bothered about them (181)
20.76%

Watched Threads